Make a GIANT wood sign to decorate for summer or ANY holiday! It’s a quick project that is impressive in size and inexpensive to make!
How to Make a GIANT Wood Sign
I’ve been making GIANT signs for years! It’s probably my very favorite way to decorate for different seasons and/or holidays! And giant signs are SO easy and inexpensive to make!
For a few dollars you can have a GIANT sign to put in front of your front door.
Or by the side of a mantel, on top of a mantel or on a shelf! You can also make the sign say ANYTHING you want which is awesome!
I actually put this sign on the other side of my Valentine’s Day sign. So it didn’t cost me anything! I used old vinyl and spray paint I had left over in my garage. You can have a sign that you flip over for different holidays. This saves you money AND it saves on storing your signs.
You use inexpensive pine shelves from the hardware store. Then you spray paint one side of the sign. You print out the name or saying you want on the sign with your craft cutting machine. You put the vinyl on top of the spray painted wood board and then spray paint it again, with the letters of the word exposed in the new paint color.
Then you use it!
It’s that easy!
Here’s how to make a Giant Sign:
- Go down to the hardware store and buy an unfinished shelf. I bought pine and it comes in 4 foot sections – I didn’t even have to cut it. $6!
- Pick out two spray paint colors. If they have a high contrast, your word will stand out better.
- A vinyl cutting machine is great. If you don’t have one, you could print out the letters on your printer and then trace them onto vinyl and cut that out. But that might take a long time.
- Design your word on your computer and then cut it out on your vinyl cutting machine.
- Take your board and spray paint it the color that you want the words to appear. Mine is gold.
- Once the board is dry, take the vinyl you have cut out and transfer it onto transfer paper with the letters only — not the outlines.
- Put the vinyl onto the board and smooth down the edges really well with a credit card or burnisher.
- Take the board outside and spray paint it with the background color you’ve picked out.
- Once the second color of spray paint is dry, peel the vinyl off and sand the edges of the board.
- You can apply a little stain to the edges if you want.
- Then the last thing to do is add a hanger to the back of the board, hang up your board and ADMIRE your work!!
Here are some other GIANT signs I have made in the past.
Make one for YOUR home!
Have a BEAUTIFUL day!