30 Day Challenge Reveal – Master Bedroom Makeover!

square-master-bedroom-30-day-challenge-makeover

The past 30 days have FLOWN by as I have been working hard to complete our Master Bedroom Makeover for the Jo-Ann and HGTV HOME™ Magic with Fabric & Trim challenge. It’s been a whirlwind of activity, but SO much fun too!!! I have loved seeing my room transform every day into something new.

master bedroom 30 day makeover at tatertots and jello

You see, with three teenagers in the house, sometimes things get a little LOUD and CRAZY around here. I wanted to make a space that was is a peaceful retreat for my husband and I. So we kept the bed in the same place, but we added a little office nook and also a little place where we can relax and read a book. Now we have a room which is so calm and pretty and useful!

It’s my favorite room in the house. I wake up in the morning and want to spend the morning checking email and working at the little office nook.

Here’s what the room looked like before – kind of dark and dreary.

master bedroom 30 day makeover at tatertots and jello

One of my favorite projects I created was different slipcovers for the headboard. So I can switch them out during the year.

slipcovered headboard tutorial

My husband and I also made the Board and Batten wall which I think really brightened up the room. A tutorial will be coming up with some tips to save you time if you want to do this in YOUR home! And we also made a DIY Knock Off ZGallerie/Restoration Orb Chandelier!

diy orb chandelier tutorial knock off

master bedroom 30 day makeover at tatertots and jello

I also learned how to make corded pillows – which weren’t as hard as I had imagined! And I made a striped duvet cover, using two of the HGTV fabrics and cording around that too!

corded envelope back pillow tutorial DIY

Another favorite part of the room is the gallery wall with pictures of our family. I mounted the pictures on HGTV Fabric and framed them to hang on the wall.

DSC_4477

gallery wall details

We also made a X-Bench for the end of our bed. A tutorial will be coming up soon!

DSC_4524

We turned a nook in the room which we never used into a bright and useful office area.

master bedroom office nook makeover at tatertots and jello

Now this is my favorite place to sit in the mornings. Our home also overlooks my kids’ elementary school so I can see the kids playing as I work and the mountain views!

DSC_4457

I also painted and upholstered this oversized chair for the space! I love how the fabric ties in with the table and rug in the space.

DSC_4501

I also made some no-sew curtains for the nook! I used the pre-ruffled trim from the HGTV Home Magic Line on the curtains and Stitch Witchery to hold the seams and the trim onto the curtains! A tutorial will be coming up on how to make these.

DSC_4499

And the third part of the room is a little corner which I never knew what to do with. We decided to turn it into a little lounging area where we can read a book or just relax.

30 day challenge master bedroom corner makeover at tatertots and jello

Shelley from House of Smiths helped me put up this Herringbone Wall for the space! Isn’t it cool? I’ll be sharing more details about how to create this wall on Monday. You can check out the vinyl in her shop.

herringbone wall vinyl decals

I love laying on this little settee with the door to our deck open in the evenings. It’s a great place to unwind and my husband loves taking Sunday naps here. Our dog has decided that this is the comfiest place in the house – ha!

DSC_4488

master bedroom reading nook pictures

master bedroom reading nook at tatertots and jello

joanns master bedroom right side smaller  size

Thank you so much JoAnn Stores for inviting me to be part of this challenge. This has been such a great experience!! You can find the HGTV line of fabric at Jo-Ann Stores. I love the fabric and this challenge was just what I needed to motivate my to FINALLY tackle my room!

3o day challenge master bedroom makeover at Tatertots and Jello. #HGTVHomeMagic #homedecor #bedroom

magic-with-fabric-and-trim

You can find out all about the #HGTVHomeMagic challenge at the Jo-Ann HGTV Home Website.

Be sure to check out the other room reveals! They’re amazing!
I Heart Nap Time living room makeover

I Heart Naptime

Ucreate-Bedroom-Makeover

U Create

infarrantly.creative.green and blackroom

Infarrantly Creative

And thanks to my super-talented sister — I talked her into taking some pictures for me! Check out her site at Wendy VonSosen Photography. (and if you’re in the SF Bay Area, you should look her up!)

Sources:

Fabric – HGTV Home™ fabric and trim from Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores (provided for this project)

Table and Rug – Downeast Home (rug provided for this project; I bought the table)

Gold Spikey Ball – ZGallerie, Lamps, white mirror, gold mirror, round table and green clock – TJMaxx, Canisters -World Market , Gold Frame, Little Notebooks, yellow side tables- Target

Wall Decals – House of Smiths Designs (provided for this project)

Number 6 in Gallery Wall – Craft Cuts (provided for this project)

Wood Wall Art – Shutterfly

White Frames – Ikea

Gold Chair – Overstock, painted and reupholstered

Dresser – Thrifted

Bench – Handmade

Headboard – Thrifted (and slipcovered)

Chandelier – Handmade

It’s my five-year anniversary of Tatertots & Jello. I couldn’t even have imagined where I’d be today when I started — and it’s all thanks to you. I’m so thankful for you and all of your support — and how much you inspire me with your creativity. Thanks to all of you and everyone who shares Tatertots & Jello (the site, not the food) with their friends!

jen signature

This post and the challenge are sponsored by Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft Stores, who provided the fabric … but the opinions and projects are all mine! Rug courtesy Downeast Home. Regardless of sponsorship or product provided, I only post about products or companies I love. For more information, see my disclosures.

Comments

1. LOVE love the herringbone wall! Would you mind sharing the paint color on that accent wall? I can’t stop looking at it!

2. wow the room looks beautiful. the color the patterns everything looks gorgeous.
    i just recently did a corner of my room. Gave it a makeover with all these boring furniture pieces lying around the house and turning them into something cute.
    I posted it on my blog. Heres’sthe link
    Deliciousndiy recently posted…Makeover a Corner of Your Room

3. I have gone around and around in circles looking for the floral fabric source, and cannot find it. I realize that it’s from the HGTV line, but there are no links to the fabric, and searching for it hasn’t worked either. Help?

4. I love everything about this room: the color, patterns….plants on the wall and….I can’t forget your adorable dog! (so cute) I will check out the tutorial for the light fixture next.
    Rhonda recently posted…Purse Organization: aka The Purse Intervention!

5. Melissa Johnson says:

Can you please tell me the blue paint color you used? I just did a grey room with white and grey stripes and need to find a good blue that will go with it in my kitchen or another room?

6. Absolutely beautiful job!
    Kayla @ Home Coming blog recently posted…Fremont Candles givewaway + 20% for everyone!

7. Eva Scott says:

It looks beyond beautiful. A real escape for sure!

8. As many others have requested….PAINT COLOR PLEASE! :) Thanks!! Looks fabulous!

9. What a beautiful makeover! You always make the most stunning rooms with the perfect colours! You rock! Angie xo
    Angie@Echoes of Laughter recently posted…A Deck Makeover

10. I love your bedroom however I loved the headboard that you use to use. Send it to me! I think it’s beautiful!!!

11. Would LOVE to know the color of that beautiful light turquoise paint

12. What brand of paint and paint color did you use on that room? I absolutely love it! The whole room is amazing!

13. This is so inspiring! So many wonderful details and projects, I’m having a tough time even narrowing it down to a top five. Cannot wait for the bench tutorial!
    Alexis @ Persia Lou recently posted…Kid-Designed DIY: Make Your Own Play Mat for Cars

14. I love the colors and design. I also love the layout of your room, it’s so spacious but very inviting! If that was my room I don’t know if I’d want to leave it ever!!!

And congrats on your 5 years!!! I know I’ve been blessed by your blog and inspired to explore my creative side! Virtual hugs from Florida!!

15. Jen, I love how your room turned out. My favs are the bench -can’t wait to see how you did it, and the chevron wall, so pretty. I’ve pretty much ignored my bedroom since I moved in, you’re inspiring me to give it a little attention. ;)

• Thanks Dannyelle!!

I am hoping to get a tutorial up on the bench this week. I really love it. I wanted to bring something into the room with a little masculine flair so my husband didn’t feel surrounded by girlish things LOL!!

Good luck with your room!

Jen recently posted…Great Ideas — 22 Painted Projects!

16. Jen- its Ahhhhhhmazing! love the colors and everything. Everyone did a fantastic job. xo jen

17. JEN!!!! It is absolutely BREATHTAKING !! I adore that main wall!!! I cant stop staring at it!! lol
    keren recently posted…Free Vintage Rose Facebook Timeline Covers

18. Hey Jen!
    Would you be willing to tell me the paint color you used on the herringbone wall? I love it!

19. This makeover is amazing! I think the biggest transformation is where you have the desk area now. What a great utilization of space and I love how you pulled the fabrics together on the chair and your bed pillows. I might have to use these colors for inspiration in my master bedroom. I was wondering where you found your throw blankets? I saw a yellow and a blue one that look so cozy. Congratulations again!

20. Jean Stringfellow says:

You did an awesome job. I love it too! The color combinations are so professional. You are terrific!
    -#1fan

21. The rooms looks AWESOME! GREAT job! That chandelier is so fun!

22. Great job Jen! I really love that reading nook.
    nancy @ owen’s olivia recently posted…screw it || home

23. Your master bedroom turned out beautifully Jen!! I love so many things about the space, but the office nook & that herringbone wall are my favorites!! The whole room is just GORGEOUS! You did an amazing job!!

Did you build the desk for the office or purchase it somewhere?

24. LOVE LOVE LOVE. Great mix of colors and patterns. I’m a bright girl myself and am so inspired by what you’ve done here. What a great desk you have too…love the table vs a desk. When my PB desk is ready to retire I need to remember this look!

25. This is absolutely gorgeous! Love all the light, bright colors and accents!
    Emily recently posted…Summertime chicken pasta salad

26. Jen, this looks FABULOUS!!! So every exciting to have such a lovely space. The colors are gorgeous, love that herringbone wall, LOVE slip covers for your headboard, congrats on being done!!
    capturing joy with kristen duke recently posted…Colored Pencil Necklace Gift

27. It is gorgeous Jen! You did a fabulous job-as always! I would be so stressed out trying to finish in only 30 days. And happy 5 yr anniversary as well!
    Allison {A Glimpse Inside} recently posted…{Feature Friday} #121

28. Heather Ferguson says:

Jen, this room is so gorgeous! I did my master bedroom in a darker teal with coral and yellow last fall, and I am still so enamored with that color combination. Do you mind sharing what the paint color is on your walls? I’m shopping around for a nice, soft turquoise and think your color is beautiful. Thanks!

29. I love everything about your bedroom makeover Jen – the colour scheme, the panelled wall, the herringbone painted wall… your headboard, gallery walls…. desk area. I could go on and on but instead I am going to go do some serious pinning. Amazing makeover!!
    Krista @ the happy housie recently posted…Back to School Mantel and a DIY Dictionary Page Bunting

30. Wow you did a beautiful job! I love the slip cover on the headboard that is genius!! So loving that rug under your desk and how can you not love your dog too cute! You did an incredible job, totally inspired now : )

31. Jen I am so impressed with all of your hard work. I love the idea of putting a slipcover over the headboard to change throughout the year, it’s genius. I also am in love with your desk. Did you make it? Also, congratulations on your five years with blogging. I’d love to be where you are in five years!
    Katie recently posted…It Itches: 3 Home Remedies for Poison Ivy Relief

32. Love the wall color and board and batten. Lots of lovely colors throughout the room and the desk is gorgeous. Totally lovin’ that nook area. :)

Well done! :D

33. Very pretty, I really love the wall behind the head board. The rug is awesome in the nook area. Your staging is outstanding. And your puppy is super cute.

34. Love it! My bedroom desperately needs some help! What is the paint color on your walls?! I cannot even begin to describe how fabulous that turquoise desk is either…did you make it?!

35. Amazing. Just love how large the room is and the way each area has a function but it’s all beautiful! Wow.

36. Hello,

I was curious where you got the turquoise wood table?

Thanks!
    Chanel

37. This room is amazing. I love every last detail and can only hope to someday create a master bedroom as happy, soothing and fun as this. It’s BEAU-TI-FUL!!!! I almost want to cry!!!! HAHA

38. I love it! I was wondering if you use the dresser that is behind the chaise? I have a similiar thing n wondering if it would work?

39. Melissa G says:

Love it all! I think the desk area might be my favorite! Your color choices are fabulous. Just so bright!! Love everything…until you mention House of Smiths. Used to visit her blog until she was forever complaining about how busy she was with her blog. Welcome to the real world!!

Love your blog and positive ness!

40. Jen,
    Your bedroom is beautiful. Especially love all the wall details…the painted stencil treatment and paneling. Love all the injection of color too.
    Have a great weekend.
    Sarah

41. Amazing Jen, just amazing. I love it all!! xo

42. Nancy Cox says:

Loved each and every picture with every aspect of a great makeover. But my very favorite is
    the fabulous light fixture. Can’t wait to hear more. Love your blog!!

43. Everything came together beautifully!! I love your gallery wall and the nook where your desk is – awesome!! Love the colors :)
    Denise recently posted…What To Do Next? {Making a Plan}

44. Jacquelynn says:

Your bedroom looks absolutely beautifiul! All of this in 30 days…WOW! I’m really jealous & wish it were my room! One word to describe what you have done…..AMAZING:)

45. Love it!!! My favorite parts are the herringbone wall and your office nook-love the colors you used, they’re serene but still vibrant! Awesome job with the challenge, I’m sure it was an insane amount of work!
    Melissa@TheHappierHomemaker recently posted…Quick Bedroom Decor Update

46. wow!!! Amazing!!! You should be really, really proud of your work and I’m more than a little jealous of all your space and light… Well done!!!
    EMily recently posted…Sew Many Books {Little Critter Go to Bed}

47. Wow! I like the color tone and the gallery wall!
    Janet Tiong recently posted…Day 6: Sun Moon Lake 日月潭 Part 1

48. LOVING THIS ROOM!!! The colors are pretty and soothing. I’m super jealous of all the space you have! Dividing it up into separate zones makes all of that space so functional. I’m torn between the fabulous orb light and that herringbone wall as to which is my favorite part. Amazing job, Jen!

49. Oh Jen, your room looks just amazing. I am still in love with that fun table and the light…wow! I am so lucky to have such a crazy talented and amazing friend.

• Thanks Tauni!! Seriously you are the sweetest!! Thanks for the supplies for the pins. I will be posting a tutorial of the pins and galler wall next weelk. Love you!

50. Jen!! Wow! I am in LOVE! You guys did an amazing Job!! You have such a big room, and you made it feel so cozy. My favorite thing is your headboard! I love how you can change it up whenever you want, how fun!

51. Love it! Great job, so cheery!

52. It’s beautiful Jen! The colors and patterns all look so pretty together. I love all the little “spaces” you put together, it seems like such a homey room now. Fabulous job!
    Beverly {Flamingo Toes} recently posted…Fun Info and a Giveaway!

• Thanks Bev!!! I really wanted to create a space that was colorful AND relaxing. I think my husband loves it :)

xo

53. I will admit, when I was seeing the previews to this post I wasn’t sure about how all these colors would come together, but i was completely and totally wrong! I totally love how all these colors compliment each other in this space! It makes me want to rethink my color scheme to match! It looks like a happy and blissful place and yet relaxing as well! My favorite spot has to be the lounging area! Kudos! I bow down to the greatness of this room and your talents!
    Maggie Hamlin recently posted…Sweet Mini

54. jen, it is beautiful! i want that room to be mine. love all the diy and the wall is amazing. wow, wow, wow! :)

• Thanks Kiki!! Shelley and I had such a fun time making that wall. She is such a great friend to help me out!

55. I LOVE that desk. I think you listed that as the table from Downeast, but I wanted to make sure. I’ve been looking for something like that.

56. Okay- one- I love it. Two- here I am drooling over that wall & then I scroll to the herringbone. OH I LOVE IT!!!!!!! I have a thing for herringbone. Turned out great. The computer space is great too- I turned a similar nook in our bedroom space into my office when we downsized & I lost my actual full office. Works out quite well doesn’t it?!
    Gina recently posted…Cursive Handwriting Practice Sheets #BacktoSchoolWeek

57. It’s so pretty!!! The colors are perfect, and I love how it’s all coordinating, but not too over the top. Very designer looking, LOVELY!!!

58. Shut the front door! Can you be my new BFF?!? This is great and totally my style!

59. LOVE it!!!!!

60. Your room make over turned out wonderful but I am so not surprised. I love all your projects, they are such an inspiration.
    Sheena recently posted…Fur Vest & Skirt

61. Wow Jen- you did a great job combining the different patterns- I LOVE the floral, but really appreciate how none of it is overkill. Light, happy, relaxing, feminine, but not froo froo. My husband might actually like a bedroom makeover like this one!

Michaele

• Thanks so much Michaele!!

I really wanted the space to reflect my style but still be a space that my husband wanted to use and felt like was his too. Your comments means so much to me!

oxo

62. It looks absolutely gorgeous, Jen! I’ve been dying to see the end result, and it was totally worth the wait! I’m also soooo honored that I had a little spot here at TT&J on your 5 year anniversary! You are the best!
    Jessica @ Mom 4 Real recently posted…My Kitchen Tour & 25 More Blogger Kitchens Too!

63. Oh my goodness, Jen! I have been so excited to see your new room. It is just beautiful! I love all the details, and I really love the office nook. The rug with the desk is just gorgeous!!!!
    Melissa @ No. 2 Pencil recently posted…Boy Room Makeover

1. […]  And one of my favorite spray painted furniture projects is the gold chair from my Master Bedroom Makeover […]

2. […] nursery wall via c.r.a.f.t. blog decals from urbanwalls  // herringbone wall via tatertotsandjello decals from […]

3. […] I was working on our master bedroom redo, I knew I wanted a bench at the end of the bed. The wrought iron bench I had there was fine, but it […]

4. […] spending some time working on my own house — like the master bedroom makeover — I’ve had some time to work more on the 1905 […]

5. […] clean. Another option (more expensive but no worries of paint and blurred lines) is to do what  Tatertots & Jello did and use a vinyl sticker […]

6. […] any details about the Master Bedroom Makeover (thanks for all of your kind comments!), you can find the “big reveal” overview here, how to make your own DIY orb chandelier, easy envelope-back pillow covers, and how to upholster a […]

7. […] just started following Jen with Tatertots & Jello. She took a 30 day challenge to makeover her bedroom and it does not […]

8. […] see, I had such a fun time making over my Master Bedroom, that now I am on a decorating kick. I want to make over every single room in my home. So  looked […]

9. [...] just love our new Master Bedroom — it’s my favorite [...]

10. [...] of my favorite parts of our new Bedroom Makeover is the office nook we carved out in the room. It’s my favorite spot to sit in the mornings [...]

11. [...] for all of the nice comments on my Master Bedroom Makeover. We love spending time in our new [...]

12. [...] a Rafflecopter giveaway   Don’t forget to link up your projects!!   I can’t wait to see YOUR ideas and feature YOU!!   And now it’s time to see YOUR fabulous ideas and projects! Remember, you only need to link up once here to be listed in all of the sites’ parties — but be sure to check out each site through the weekend! We’ll each be featuring our own picks from all of the fabulous ideas! Link up and check out all of the fabulous ideas!   (When you add a link,  please mention on your site that you linked up at Tatertots and Jello (here’s a link: Tatertots & Jello). Please visit and comment on TWO linkups above you and TWO linkups below you — in addition to any others that you want to visit. {We all love comments!})   xoxo P.S.: Here’s what I’ve been working on this week! I shared the bedroom makeover I’ve been working on for the last month!  [...]