Burlap Valentine Heart
This is a really simple, inexpensive project.
Here’s what you need:
foam core board (available at craft stores)
burlap (4 feet long– cut into 2 4-inch long sections — you will have burlap left over)
Brown coffee filters (about 15-20)
tan ribbon (60 inches)
brown organza ribbon (40 inches)
hot glue gun and glue sticks
- The first thing to do is draw the heart on your foam core board. I used an old piece of foam core that I had used previously as a sign.
- Use an exacto knife to cut the heart out of the foam core. It does not need to be perfectly smooth.
- Take your newspaper and rip a couple pages into strips. I used the notice section of the newspaper that has smaller print.
- Lay the newspaper out over the heart to see where you want to place the strips.
- Use Mod Podge to attach the newspaper to the foam core board. I applied a coat to the entire heart and then laid the pieces of newspaper on top of the mod podge. I did several layers for a more layered look. Don’t be afraid if the newspaper gets a little wrinkled, this adds character to the project.
- Once you have the newspaper applied to the heart, put another layer of Mod Podge over the top and let it dry.
- Then take the tan ribbon and measure around the edges of your heart. Cut the ribbon a little longer than what you think you will need. Use a hot glue gun to attach the ribbon to the edges of the foam board.
- Cut your burlap into 4 inch strips. Then attach the burlap to the back of the foam board heart. Start at the side of one of the curves of the heart. Apply a glue small strip of glue along the outside of the heart, lay the edge of the burlap on the glue and every 2 inches or so make a fold and glue it down so that the burlap border looks gathered. When you come to the end of the first piece of burlap, attach it to the second with your glue gun by making a seam, facing toward you and hide it in one of the folds.
- Turn the heart back over so the front is facing up. Take one of the brown coffee filers and scrunch it up from the middle, pulling the middle down and flattering it at the bottom so the top of the coffee filter looks like a flower. Apply the first coffee filter to the place where you want the point of your heart to be. Then apply the other coffee filter flowers to the board, placing a dot of glue on the board and pushing down on the base of the flower. Keep the coffee filters close together with no gaps. Make your heart as big as you like.
- When you are done making the coffee filter heart, apply the ribbon to the back of the foam core board.
- Place three dots of glue on each side of the top and put one edge of each of the three ribbons on the glue. The brown tan ribbon goes in the middle.
Thanks for coming by!!