I love making a pretty breakfast on the weekends at the cottage. I think it’s probably because I usually have all of chickadees under the same roof on Saturday nights, so Sunday mornings I love making a big brunch for the kids. Here’s one of our favorites lately – Oatmeal and Fruit Breakfast Souffle.
It also tastes great the next day warmed up. I added a little whipped cream to the top to add a little sweetness!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3 cups milk
- 4 large eggs, separated
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp. fine sugar
- 2 cups fruit (I used blueberries)
- ½ tsp. grated lemon peel
- whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees
- spray a oven-proof pan with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, combine the oats, milk, sugar, salt and bring to a simmer. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 15 minutes - until the mixture is the consistency of porridge.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- working quickly, stir the egg yolks into the oatmeal until the mixture is blended. Then fold in the berries and lemon zest.
- whip the egg whites in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer. Beat at medium speed until peaks form after about three minutes. Gently fold the egg whites into the oatmeal.
- Pour the mixture into the sprayed skillet pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve immediately and garnish with whipped cream, confectioners sugar and/or syrup.
This is a fun and fancier way to serve oatmeal. It also is wonderful as a brunch recipe. I hope you enjoy it!
Here are a couple other pretty breakfast recipes that the kids love:
Have a Delicious Day!