Summer Mantel:Take Two {adding reclaimed shutters}

There was something missing from my “Beachy” mantel. I couldn’t put my finger on it yesterday. Then last night as I was getting ready for bed I remembered some free shutters that I picked up by the side of the road on trash day a few months ago. Perfect!! You know how a flashbulb goes off in your mind?

A fast, easy and free solution to my decorating dilemma!
Before

So this morning I dusted off those old shutters and dug through my spraypaint stash for some paint. I painted the first coat the same “aqua” color as the frame on my mantel. And then when it was finished drying, I added “heirloom white” over the top.

The last thing I did was get my trusty mouse sander and I roughed it all up so the delicious aqua peeks through as well as the original brown color and the bare wood. I love the dimension that sanding adds!!

Then I put it on my mantel. I opened the shutters a little so that the reflection of the mirror still comes through and lights up the room. Then I rearranged some of the mantel items.

And I put the little canvas pennant at the top of the mantel. I got the little sewn pennant shapes from The Canvas Corp. I love the plain canvas with my beach theme.

I think my mantel is done.
{For now — lol!!}

I put my Summer Subway Art above my entry cabinet. I decided it didn’t really go with my Beachy Mantel. But I still really love it!

PS — While my shutters were drying, I ran to Home Depot and got some samples for my kitchen makeover. Here’s what we have so far. Any opinions??  the cabinets are now white so I was thinking a warm grey would be pretty….

xoxoxo
PS — I’m linking this up to Beth’s Tutorials &Tips Party. Check it out!!

Comments

1. Wow, you did such a great job. What talent you must have. Thanks so much for sharing

2. Hi….It feels so nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. Really thankful to you for starting this. This is really informative and I will for sure refer my friends the same. Thanks…

3. Junker Newbie Stephanie says:

Your mantel is awesome! so creative! The shutters really add a nice dimension. :-)

Stephanie

4. I've fallen in love with "Silverdrop" by Behr. It's a yellow-toned neutral, so definitely in the warm category, but it IS gray. Comes out so pretty.

5. Love these projects!!! Thank you for sharing.
    Ingrid

6. Charlene says:

How funny that you are painting your kitchen gray with white cabinets. I just had mine painted gray with white cabinets. Actually, I have white bead board and chair rail on the bottom half and gray on the top. And painted my kitchen table and chairs white and yellow. So pretty…but not done yet.

I still have to get new counters and sink/faucet. And I'm trying to convince the hubs to let me have a black and white checkered floor to finish it off.

BTW, I picked medium shade of gray from Lowe's Glidden Pebble Gray.

And I love the shutters…why can't I find fun stuff like this while I thrift shop

7. The Birth of KLC says:

Love your mantel, its sooo fun!
    Do the grey, we are building a house right now and are doing an all white kitchen with grey walls to pull out the marble backsplash! I think it's gonna look amazing! :)

8. Beautiful mantle! I love it all – especially that wreath! But the shutters really pull it all together. I love shutters and grab them whenever I find them at ReStore. My mantel has a large old photo my Dad took in the 1940's so I can't cover that up. I'll find a place for more soon!
    As for the colors, I like #1 or #3. Two different looks but gorgeous colors!
    Thanks for hosting

Mimi

9. Your mantle is perfect. I love the shutters and all the touches. So fantastic.

I choose the second and last gray, from the top. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Ruth

10. Kadbury says:

The shutters are perfect ~ I love the finished look! (I like the bottom grey fyi, but I'm sure the others are pretty too : )

~Kristin

11. PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

Loving your beach theme!!

12. Heidi@TheCraftMonkey says:

the shutters are perfect! I've been on the look out for a set for my house! {Also, I really like the grey 2nd to the bottom} :)

13. LuckyStarCreator says:

i like the 3rd gray down. i love the shutter idea, it makes me want to find some old ones to recycle

14. KM @ This Plate is Full says:

your mantle is always beautiful!!!

and I think I would go with the second color going down for the kitchen. Can't wait to see it!!!

15. ooo, i love the gray that second from the top. can't wait to see more!

16. Foundinthe-ALI says:

I like the second one down… But have you thought of using two of those greys to do a stripe on an accent wall? I kind of like how it looks now :P

Just a thought.

and your mantle looks amazing! I have a fireplace but no mantle. It makes me sad! Not much you can do about a rental :)

Ali

17. Lindsay says:

I like #2 grey. It is still warm enough especially if it is adjacent to your beachy mantel/room.

18. I like the first gray. I think it would really brighten up the room! Great shutters, btw.

2027

I've seen so many great projects with shutters lately! So fun! I love the grays for your kitchen. I would go witht the 3rd from the top…I like a gray without the beige undertones:) We just painted the interior of our Airstream a nice gray color.

20. southernscraps says:

The shutters were the perfect addition!

21. Heidiopia says:

The shutters are the perfect touch… love that you opened them to capitalize the reflection from your mirror!
    We're on the same page with kitchen color; can't wait to see what you choose. So many options, it's a little overwhelming. :)
    Happy Friday!
    Heidi @ Show Some Decor

22. Smallgood says:

Second gray for sure.

The mantel looks lovely.

23. n*stitches says:

The mantel looks great! So many ideas running through my head at 8am. I need more coffee!

24. The 2nd one down for sure. Happy Painting!

25. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions says:

Those shutters were in great shape for a side of the road find, Jen! Great project! Love all the greys you got but I get the "warm grey" feeling from #2 and #4 {going top to bottom}.

26. Brassy Apple says:

Oh grays are hard! I helped a friend with gray and they are tricky.

I think #2 isn't too cold or stark but maybe just right. Didn't read the other comments so I may be the odd ball out! :)

27. Rachelle Burgess says:

I agree that the 3rd is a touch too cold. 2nd from the top has my pick!! Great mantel also:)

28. Lil Mama Stuart says:

love the itty bitty bench. I'm totally stealing my parent's shutters if they ever get rid of them (going strong 30 years now)

29. Kimberly says:

LOVE this. I'm now needing to find me some shutters!

30. I'm thinking the second one down. It's hard to say though. I love the new mantle! I've got to find me some shutters somewhere.

31. Hi Jen! I love your mantel. The shutters are the perfect touch. I have shutters on my mantel too and love them. I love the little canvas pennant and all your other beachy fun stuff too. I just painted my kitchen, dining room and living room gray. It feels a lot more calm in there now. I love the 2nd or 4th one you have on your wall. Have a great day.

32. Love the shutters! That last color (which kinda looks like the seond) has my vote.
    ~ Mona : )
    Mona’s Milestones

33. Kaitlin says:

Go with the Grey!!!! I think it would be fabulous!

34. Betheny says:

The 2nd shade is definately a warm grey. We painted a light cool grey and it was way too light and way too cool. I like the 2nd. :)

35. I'd go with the second from the top. I also love the third, but not for a whole kitchen. It's too cold.

36. ferrellgraph-x says:

The darkest shade. Go bolder ;)

37. Kelly (Seaux Southern) says:

Looked great before, looks even better now.

38. Tracey :) says:

second and forth colours :)

39. Love your beachy mantel. What a great reuse of shutters!
    2nd from the bottom is my favorite.

40. Vivienne @ the V Spot says:

Love the shutters. I want to live in your neighborhood where shutters go on the curb for trash day! You lead a charmed life, my friend!

I see several comments voting for Gray #3, but with all due respect, that reads kind of cold and industrial to me (at least on my monitor!) It is the color of concrete. I like #2 from the top.

41. Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top says:

I love the mantel! I think you should go with more color on the walls if you're doing white cabinets. Just my opinion. :) I'm sure I will love whatever you do. :)

42. I love the second grey from the top,, we used one of Marthas gey colors ,, something goose but I'm not certain,, lovely mantle and shudders,

43. Seriously loving the 2nd one down! Of course whatever you do will look fabulous so really, this is all just a tease anyway :)

44. Annie-Savor This Moment says:

I like color number 2, too. I've always wanted an apple green kitchen with white cupboards, myself.

Have fun with the makeover!

45. Liz Marie says:

I love the second gray down from the top. I am so obsessed with grays. My kitchen/Dining Room/ Living Room is Wood Smoke by glidden (a smokey gray) I love it!! Great mantel by the way.. I love your creativity…

xxLiz Marie
    Lizmarieblog.com

46. The shutters were a great solution. I like the second grey the best. Good luck.

47. BluBabesCreate says:

Third gray from the top down I like.

48. Fabiana says:

What an improvement! Looks great!

ciao from Newport Beach

49. dana @ wonder forest says:

i love this idea. and heirloom white is my fav spray paint colour ;)
    xo dana
    thewonderforest.com

50. Julie Kay says:

Your mantle looks great! I think the top grey option is definitely too light for white cabinets. The third grey option from the top would be my favorite pick.

51. Christina says:

Love it!! I think I just spray-painted these EXACT same shutters to make the "planter" in my new bathroom…so funny!!

I love the colors of your shutters :)