10-Minute Refashion Makeover — from Tube Top Dress to Ruffly Skirt!! {tutorial}

header
It’s Summer and the weather has finally started to warm up in Utah, which I am THRILLED about!I love Summer and my favorite thing to wear around in the Summertime is comfy cotton skirts and flip flops. I was shopping at Kohl’s a few weeks ago, and I saw some little tube dresses. I wasn’t sure if they were dresses or swimsuit coverups, but I loved the navy and white stripes and RUFFLES of one.

I know I can’t pull off a tube dress, so I wondered if I could turn it into a skirt!

And for $8 I thought – why not try!!

too short
I stopped at the fabric store and picked up a $2 roll of elastic, and 10 minutes later – I had a comfy, stylish new summer skirt.
I am so pleased with it!!
before
Here’s what I did to transform the tube dress into a sassy summer skirt:

wide elastic

• I took the elastic and wrapped it around my waist and cut the elastic.
pin it
  • Then I folded the tube part of the dress over on top of itself and sewed it shut at the bottom. I left a 3 inch section open so I could thread the elastic through.
thread the elastic through
  • I threaded the elastic through the open part of the tube and brought both ends together through the 3 inch seam. Then I sewed the two pieces of elastic together with my sewing machine. Then I sewed the seam shut.
after
And that is it!! In 10 minutes you can go from a short, revealing tube dress to a more covered up skirt. And I really think the skirt is cuter and easier to wear while chasing kids around for the summer.
header
Here are a few other Summer Refashions:

Giant Flower Bag

$5 Anthro-Inspired Shirt Refashion

Nautical Ruffled Necklace

Anthro-Inspired Nautical Necklace

$4 Anthro-Inspired T-Shirt Refashion

20-Minute Sweater Refashion

Have a Fabulous Day!

xoxoxo

PS –I am linking up to these fun parties – check them out!

The DIY Show OffBCD 125giveawaysTidy Mom I'm Lovin It Fridays

Comments

1. bellissime idee, credo che copierò qualcosa, grazie :), carla

2. Great idea! Could be done using teshirts , for all those athletic tees, activity involvement, or t’s that you don’t want to get rid of but use in different way. Darling ideas! Going to do the cardigan on to a white eyelet blouse I use as a summer ” jacket”.

3. Rulissa @ Mustard Seeds in OK says:

I love this tute!!! I’ve purchased these dresses to wear as skirts, but I just scrunchthe top down and end up with a bulky waist!!! I’m totally doing this- TODAY!

4. Charlene Osland says:

I love your site. I will visit often.
    Charlene

5. Emily Gerow says:

this is fabulous. everytime I walk past tube dresses i think about trying to make skirts out of them. Now I know it can be done!

6. CUTE! I love the skirt re-do. What a great deal and it turned out super cute and fun.

I saw your project on the Made By You Monday link party and even though I love your blog just realized I wasn't officially following you yet so I fixed that! Come check me out, too, if you're interested @ Carissa's Creativity Space

7. Sherry from Alabama says:

I love your skirt refashion! I would have walked right on past that tube dress in the store, never thinking about turning it into a skirt.

I'm just getting into refashioning and I think it may be addictive! :)

Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

8. Laura @ ON{thelaundry}LINE says:

I saw a tube dress on the clearance rack at old navy and I held it up to my waist to see what length it would be if I did this, I got the most annoying 'wow such a ditz' smirk from some lady but I just chuckled to myself. ;)

9. BKWilliams says:

Love this idea! I have some dresses in my closet that this will be so perfect to "remake" them and give me a new outfit too!Thanks.

10. laura@imnotatrophywife.com says:

I love this! Especially when I first held up a tube top and thought it was a skirt until my teenage daughter was like, "um, mom it's not a skirt." WINNING!

laura@imnotatrophywife.com

11. you are a genius! this is the best idea. i always seem to find tube top dresses in the cutest patterns, and yet i know i won't wear them. this is perfect! thanks jen!

12. beachy keen girl says:

And it's sooo cute! Wow, what a great 10 minute fix :)

13. angelica jackson says:

How cute! Yet another reason to get out my sewing machine and learn how to use it! I am noticing a pattern today…

14. Amy @ dwell in the season says:

Very cute skirt! I love it as a skirt much more! :)

15. Country Dreaming says:

This might be an obvious question but did you take the elastic out at the top before you folded it over???

Turned out great.

Melinda

16. Lil Mama Stuart says:

cute, quick and easy! perfect :)

17. Katherines Corner says:

great ideas Jen, love the skirt!!The quick change to the cardigan is perfect too. Hugs

18. I so love your red sweater in the pic with the big flower bag. Love the bag too.

Jeanna @ dramaqueenseams.blogspot.com

19. Love the transformation! Tube top dresses are so "in" and yet so "out" for many of us! LOL! Great, simple fix.

20. Wow Jen! Great re-do! Your skirt turned out so much cuter than the tube top dress (and love the colors!)

21. Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva says:

I think that makes a fun skirt! I bought myself some of the material you can buy from joanns for little girls dresses, and have been wearing it as a skirt. So cute, sew easy! Visiting from Sew Cute Tuesdays.

~ Kimberlee at The Spunky Diva

So cute Jen! I am loving the blue and white stripes right now too! I think your spring sweater redo is one of my all time favorites…that ric rac is too fun:)

What a fantastic idea! I love a navy/pink combination too. Your new skirt really turned out nicely. :)

24. So cute Jen! Your refashions are all adorable. I can't wait to see/hear more about your kitchen. I'm thinking there will be a pretty blue color in there somewhere and some open shelves? ;) Hmmm, am I right?

25. laxsupermom says:

It turned out so cute! I love the ruffles! Thanks for sharing.

26. mycreationandinspiration says:
  27. Bethany says:

Love this idea! Uh-oh, now I have yet another reason to drag the kids to Kohl's, ha ha! =)

28. It turned out great! I've thought about doing this a couple of times but never actually followed through. Thanks for the tutorial!

29. Love it!! How chic and adorable!

30. Alison@Oopsey Daisy says:

This is SUCH a smart idea, Jen! I can't wait to try this!!

1. […] refashioned shirts, sweaters, skirts and accessories. And with the Winter months coming, I thought it would be fun to try some Coat […]