Painted Halloween Pennant Pillow Tutorial

{Say that 10 times fast – lol!}

As you might have guessed – I LOVE Halloween! There’s something so fun about black and orange decorations and dressing up every year!

So in honor of one of my favorite holidays, I’d like to share a little project.
**Painted Halloween Pennant Pillows**

I had some pillow forms that I wanted to use. So I took those pillow forms and added 1 inch to each of the sides. {I used canvas because I had made some canvas pillows last Spring and they have really held up well}. I cut my canvas to the sizes I measured. I made envelope-back pillows — so for the back of the pillows, I measure the width and added 8 inches, then I cut that piece in half. This way, there is a 4 inch on each side of the overlap in the back to slide the pillow form in.

Then I made my Pennant Templates. I decided that I wanted to make two different sizes of pennants. One is a triangle — 3 inches on all sides. The other is 4 inches across and 5 and half inches in length. I cut those out.

The next thing I did was I drew a curved line across the canvas with a pencil. On one pillow I drew three lines across and on the smaller pillow I only drew one line. Then I took my pennant and traced it across the line. On the smaller pillow I used the large pennant template, and on the larger pillow I used the smaller pennant template for contrast.

DecoArt makes this really cool medium that let’s you take any craft paint and make it into Fabric Paint. It’s pretty fun! I poured some paint on a paper plate and mixed the DecoArt Fabric Medium in with each color. Then I filled the pennants in with color. I used yellow, orange and black paint for the pennants.

Once it dried, I ironed the fabric to set the paint as the instructions said. After that I traced the pennants with a fabric pen. And sewed the little buttons on each pennant.

And then I applied ribbon trim to the lines across the pillows. I used No-sew adhesive {Liquid Stitch} to put the trim on the pillows. I love that stuff – it is great to use! I let it dry overnight.

I decided to stencil on a little “boo” on the small pillow. And a little decorative flower!

Then I sewed the backs on to the pillows. To the smaller pillow, I made a little ruffle out of coordinating material. I measured the pillow all the way around and doubled the length. I cut the material at 5 inches in width and then folded it over and stitched it with a very wide stitch. Then I pulled the thread and ruffled the material up and then pinned it onto the front of the pillow. The next thing I did was I put the back on top and sewed the pillow together.

Once the pillow covers were sewn, I put my pillow forms in and voila!
Halloween has arrived at my house!!

Ok – I took them off my porch — but as soon as October 1st hits — they are out to stay :)
Photobucket

Anything Halloween Party Button

Comments

1. Thanks for the ideas. I was inspired by the pillows and the candycorn pennants. Here's what I made: http://thefabfowlerfive.blogspot.com/2010/10/crafting-myth-bustershalloween-decor.html

2. Thank you for the inspiration! I had so much fun making my pillow.

3. Molly @ The Creative Maven says:

I love that you painted them! At first glance I thought they were appliqued – but nope! Neat take on the idea… and easy for people that don't know how to applique!

4. Chic Creations says:

I featured this adorable pillow and tutorial on my blog
    karieschiccreations.blogspot.com
    thanks for sharing so many ideas.

5. I love the marmalade aqua yardage…on sale and GREAT for boys and girls!

6. Michelle @ Ten June says:

Hi Jen! I've already stopped by with a comment, but I wanted to let you know that I adore these pillows so much I linked up to them on my blog: http://10junem.blogspot.com/2010/09/featured-projects-fall-decor.html.

Hope you don't mind! Thanks so much for sharing!! :)

xo- M

7. Absolutely adorable! I featured these today with a roundup of fun ideas:

Have a great day my friend!
    ~Alison

8. Marie {Make and Takes} says:

These are so cute. I think you should keep them out now!! :)

9. emilyc @ Sew Super Sweet says:

Oh my Fall goodness! I love these! So cute!!!

10. this blessed nest says:

my *heart* be still!!!

a pennant halloween pillow. you know i am a girl after your own heart when it comes to pennants & buntings. this is so so fab! love everything about it.

the pillows make me smile & gives me all kinds of happy thoughts.

kellie

11. Little Lizard King says:

These pillows and your ribbon wreath are just adorable! Thanks for sharing. =)

12. objectofmayaffection says:

These are SO CUTE!

13. Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful says:

You never cease to amaze me! Those pillows are just too stinking cute!!! Love it.

XOXOXOXO
    ~Amanda

14. kami @ nobiggie.net says:

I love these, Jen! I will be working with DecorArt soon, and I'm excited to try that fabric stuff. too cool!

15. You are just adorable :) I'm starting to gather stuff for the kids' costumes and figure out what I want to be! We LOVE LOVE LOVE Halloween!!!!

What a great project, I didn't know there was such a thing as that paint medium – good to know!

16. Those are so cute! You could use the same idea for so many different decor projects. Hmmmmmm….got….to….get….crafty……

Well, this one is beyond my skill level, but I sure do love them. I wasn't going to put out anything Halloween until Oct. either, but it was in the same boxes with fall and little pops of it just started falling into place.

18. These are SOO cute, Jen. I am LOVING the pennant craze!

19. Jen…I stand in AMAZEMENT! Will you ever run out of crafty ideas? I sure hope not! :)

20. I say leave em out!! They're adorable.

21. So adorable! This is making me wish I had room for a sewing machine. *sigh* I'll just have to live vicariously for now. Thanks for the tutorial!

22. Ashley @ The Hillside Home says:

These turned out ADORABLE!!! And you wrote up a great tutorial–I feel like I could really replicate this project! :)

23. Life in Rehab says:

Those turned out great! And yeah, Halloween is a great holiday because nearly anything goes!

24. Natalie@Endless Crafting says:

Absolutely love these pillows..I'vevgotta try the fabric paint!

25. Michelle @ Ten June says:

I love this! Thanks for the tutorial. I may try this with some Christmas prints.

26. Cute. I guess it's about time to start thinking about Halloween decorations. I still have my smmer stuff out.

They are absolutely precious, Jen! I'm like you…no Halloween decorations until October. :)

28. The Cottage Mama says:

Those are SUPER cute! And they match your logo so well too :-). Great job – such class and style!

Hope you had a great holiday weekend!
    Lindsay

29. Cute cute cute! I usually don't decorate much for Halloween, but I might give these a try :-)

30. Madigan at madiganmade says:

Just darling! Love the little details with the trim and buttons. Great way to quickly change out decor for a holiday!

31. Amazing pics …and a great tutorial. Thanks!

32. Amazing pics …and a great tutorial. Thanks!

33. Amazing pics …and a great tutorial. Thanks!

34. Amazing pics …and a great tutorial. Thanks!

35. Amazing pics …and a great tutorial. Thanks!

36. Clean Mama says:

adorable – thanks for the great tutorial!

37. Your new pillows are adorable. You definitely need to put them out on October 1st so that you can enjoy them as long as possible!

1. […] Here’s my inspiration from Tatertots and Jello: […]

2. […] tutorial for these pennant pillows is at Tatertots and Jello (and these could be cute in colors to match your decor or for any season!). Halloween Pennant […]