Pottery Barn Knock-Off Christmas mirror
I love a good Knock-Off Project!! So when Lindsay from Makely said that she was hosting a Knocktober DIY series – I was so excited to take part in the fun!! Check out this Pottery Barn Christmas mirror!
Welcome if you are stopping by from Teal and Lime. Isn’t Jackie’s mirror fabulous? I love it!!
I made a mirror too! I am starting to think about the holidays, and so I decided to try remaking this DIY Holiday Mirror. It is on the PB website for more than $129 plus shipping — and I was able to make a similar version for under $40. Yay!! And I wanted to do a grey version that would go better with my home’s holiday decor too.
Here’s how I made the PB knock-off:
I found a mirror on clearance at Lowes for $20.
I used Layla’s tutorial on how to distress a mirror. The only major change was I used a lower-strength of Muriatic acid. And instead of only waiting a couple of minutes to take effect, I had to let the solution stay on the mirror for about an hour.
- The first thing I did was I took the mirror out of the frame.
- Then I sprayed the paint stripper spray on the back of the mirror and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I used gloves, a mask and eye protection when I used the paint stripper and muriatic acid.
- Once that spray took effect, I used plastic scrappers and scraped the paint off the back of the mirror.
- Then I took the muriatic acid and put it in a spray bottle. I then sprayed the edges of the mirror back with the solution and let it sit for about an hour — until I could see the the marks were transparent.
- Once the mirror looked distressed enough, I wiped the excess Muriatic acid off with a clean, damp cloth.
- Then I took the same Grey Gloss Spray Paint and painted the frame of the mirror and the back of the mirror the same grey gloss color.
- Once it was all dry, I put the mirror back in the frame.
- And then I printed off the lettering with my Silhouette machine. I applied the vinyl and now I have a beautiful Christmas focal point. The original price is $129+ and I made mine for under $40!!
Here’s a close up of the way the mirror looks distressed now. I love the look!
Be sure to check out the other AMAZING DIY Knock-Off ideas this week!!
The next Knocktober project is from Carmel at Our Fifth House. Her project is amazing!!
Be sure to check out the rest of the ideas from Day 2 of Knocktoberfest too!
And here are the idea from Day 1 Knocktoberfest —
There will be 27 projects total – you can find the full line up at Makely! I can’t wait to see them all!
Have a Beautiful Day!
PS: The handwritten fonts I used are from the fabulous Kimberley Geschwein, and they’re free for personal use.
The distressed serif font is IM Fell Great Primer Pro.
The leafy things are from the Silhouette Studio library.