Last weekend I had a birthday party for my two oldest kids who have birthdays 4 days apart (and two years). My daughter doesn’t love traditional cake, so I thought it would be fun to make an ice cream sandwich cake. One of very favorite cakes to make. I shared the recipe a few years ago – original ice cream sandwich cake.
This year I thought it would be great to add another element to the ice cream sandwich cake. We all love Oreos so I added some cute mini Oreos – Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich Cake.
It’s so easy to make. It takes a bit of time only because it needs to freeze for about four hours before it’s served. It just takes a few minutes to put together, then pop it into the freezer!
The kids all really enjoyed it. So give it a try. It’s a fun change of pace from traditional cake, and you can serve it for any occasion! And the Hoo-Ray! Sign is from Lisa Leaonard – isn’t it cute??
Here’s the recipe for Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich Cake:
- 12 Ice Cream Sandwiches (I used the square Fat Boy ice cream Sandwiches) but you can also use the regular size ice cream sandwiches – just use 4 per layer instead of six.
- 1 large tub of Cool Whip – defrosted
- 1 cup of chocolate fudge topping
- Topping – I used mini Oreos. I used two packages of mini Oreo cookies.
- Line serving tray with aluminum foil.
- Place 6 ice cream sandwiches together on the tray
- Warm up the hot fudge topping and add it to 1 cup of whipped topping and mix together.
- Spread the chocolate Cool Whip mixture on top of the 6 ice cream sandwiches.
- Put another 6 ice cream sandwiches on top of the chocolate topping and bottom layer of ice cream sandwiches.
- Frost the ice cream sandwiches with the remaining Cool Whip.
- Add the mini Oreo cookies or whatever topping you want to the outside of the cake.
- Freeze the cake for at least 4 hours before serving.
I’s one of our favorites!! I hope you enjoy it!!
Have a HAPPY day!
Heather Mills says
Oh. My. Yum. Looks delicious!
It was really good! My kids don’t love traditional cake so this ice cream cake was perfect for them.
Lisy @ House Cleaning Woodstock says
O, thanks for the great recipe! I love recipes that doesn’t require baking, because after I have to clean the whole kitchen.
That cakes looks just perfect. My kids will totally love it!