The kitchen remodel is almost done — wooo!!
I just have one more project that I am going to finish up this week. Here are my DIY Pendant Lights. I found some lights that I really wanted from a store online, but they were $140 each, and four would = $560, not including the converter kits to change my lights from recessed to pendant. So I had to come up with something different.
I ended up buying some $7 basic light shades from Target. Then I covered them with some pretty material that I ordered from Fabric.com.
To cover the shades:
- I took the shade and copied the size onto a two sheets of paper taped together, rolling it along the paper and tracing it.
- I added 1 inch to the top of the measurement so I would have some room to roll the fabric under the top and bottom of the shade.
- I used the paper as a pattern and cut out four pieces of fabric.
- Then I used spray adhesive to glue the fabric to the shade and used mod podge to adhere the fabric to the shade when I rolled it under the top and bottom of the shade.
- I matched up the seams and cut away the excess.
Once I got them done, I realized that the part that holds the shade onto the lamp was upside down for a pendant light. Uggggh!! I thought I would have to start over.
Luckily I have a very handy husband and father-in-law who figured out how to bend the wires holding the middle part up to the top so it would work for my purposes. All he did was cut the wires with some heavy-duty wire cutters and bend them to fit at the top with some pliers. Then reattached the circle mechanism to the top. I was so happy!!
I bought some converter kits from Lowe’s that are made to screw into existing recessed lights and magically they transform the lights into pendants without the need of an electrician! And for $20, so cool. And another cool fact is that if I ever got tired of the pendants and wanted to go back to recessed lights, all I have to do is take the kit off and it looks the same. No painting or any other work required!
The light kits come with some wire that hangs down and you can add your light to the bottom of the wire. I didn’t think that look finished enough. So I spend a long time trying to figure out how to make it look more finished. I wanted a matching rod to give the lights a more polished look, but most of the rods I found were way too heavy. I finally found some copper tubes at Lowes. I took them and hack sawed them to the right length and then spray painted them silver.
Then we threaded the wire through the rods and through the top part of the converter kit. We did have to cut the wires and then re-attach them together once we threaded them through the tubes. You strip the plastic off the wires and then twist the wires together and twist them into an electrical cap. You need to have someone who knows what they are doing help with this part. It’s just like re-wiring any type of light fixture.
Once we had the wire threaded through the tube and re-attached, we discovered we had to pull the wire up through the top of the kit and I had a gap. Uggggh!! I thought I was foiled again. But we persevered LOL!! My father in law came up with the idea of a very short length of the same tubing in a slightly larger circumference to cover the gap and fit over the top of the other tubing. Then we epoxied the two tubes together to the top of the ceiling piece.
And it ended up looking great!! Very polished – which is what I was looking for. And instead of $560, this project cost me $44, plus the cost of the converters.
So now I have some pretty pendants in my kitchen!!
The full reveal is coming up soon 🙂
Have a Beautiful Monday!!