This post is brought to you by Philips. All opinions are my own.
Healthier AirFry Awesome Blossom Recipe
Who’s ready for the Big Game?? I love it for the half-time show AND especially the food! This year I am taking one of our All Time Favorites — the Awesome Blossom (also can be known as Blooming Onion too) and making it with our Philips Viva AirFryer. I love that the AirFryer makes food that is healthier, compared to a traditional fryer — it reduced the fat and calories in the recipe by up to 75%!! Amazing.
I’ve been experimenting with our Philips Viva AirFryer over the past week and we have LOVED the results so far! I’ve been sharing all about our AirFry adventures on my tatertots + jello Instagram page. Instead of traditional frying, submersing food in oil, the Viva AirFryer uses TurboStar technology which circulates the air around the food, heating up to 400-degrees which ensures that everything is cooked evenly. You use less than a TEASPOON of oil to create a healthier version of your favorite foods and with a lot of foods you don’t add ANY oil! The twin TurboStar technology uses hot, circulating air, which makes the food crispy on the outside and tender on the inside AND it actually removes fat from your foods!
We have loved creating food with the Philips Viva AirFryer! Philips Airfryer is the world’s #1 Airfryer with over 7 Million units sold. Over the past week we’ve made baked eggs, donut holes, panko-breaded chicken fingers AND a few blooming onions. I am excited to share our blooming onion recipe with you!!
We have loved getting the Blooming Onion or Awesome Blossom as an appetizer when we went out to dinner over the years. It’s a great appetizer for a party because it feeds a lot of people The onion is cut to resemble a flower. To make the onion open, you cut off one end of the onion, so it’s flat. Then you make four cuts – one on each side of the onion, cutting down but not all the way through the center. Then you make two cuts within those four side – there should be 8-12 cuts around the outside of the onion. Then you cut the very center of the onion out so the petals will open all the way.
Once the onion is cut you soak it in ice water for a couple of hours to help the onion open up. This makes it much easier to get the egg wash and breadcrumbs in between all of the layers of onion. Then the onion is covered in an egg wash, bread crumbs and then cooked in oil. I did a little research and the calorie differences are astounding. The traditional blooming onion or awesome blossom can have over 2,000 calories, compared to 350-380 calories when made in the AirFryer.
We decided to make one each way for a taste comparison. We cooked one in oil and one in the AirFryer. The awesome blossom that was cooked in the oil was MUCH greasier than the AirFyer version, but the kids like the AirFryer awesome blossom because it turned out crunchier than the oil-fried one. VERY interesting!
So give this recipe a try for the Big Game! It’s easy to make, only takes 15-20 minutes to cook and everyone will love it!
Here’s the recipe for a Healthier AirFryer Awesome Blossom:
- 1 large onion
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 t. oregano
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 t. cayenne pepper
- 1 t. paprika
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1/2 t. vegetable oil
- Cut onion into a blossom shape. Cut the end off one end of the onion, then make 8-12 cuts around the perimeter of the onion, opening it up. Cut out the very center of the onion so the petals fold out.
- Soak onion in ice water for at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile prepare the breadcrumb mixture and the egg wash.
- In a medium bowl combine the breadcrumbs and spices, mix.
- In another medium bowl, combine eggs and milk mixture and whisk well.
- After onion has soaked, take it out of the ice water and onto a plate. Coat onion with egg wash. You can use a baster if you have one or use a spoon.
- Once the onion is completely covered in egg wash, add the panko breadcrumb mixture. I used a sifter. You can use your hands to pat the breadcrumb mixture onto each of the onion “petals” until they are all covered.
- Add 1/2 t. oil to the bottom of the AirFryer.
- Then put the onion on the baking plate.
- optional — Cover the onion with a layer of aluminum foil to keep the edges from browning too much.
- Set the AirFryer temperature to 400-degrees for 10 minutes.
- Check the onion after 10 minutes to see how it’s cooking. The onion will take a variable amount of time, depending on how big it is.
- Put the onion back in the AirFryer for another 5-10 minutes and check it. I cooked my onion for a total of 20 minutes because it was very large. Also the edges of the onion get very brown. If you don’t want them to get too brown, cover the onion with tin foil, creating a tent over it.
If you are wondering about getting an AirFry machine, I can tell you that we love using our Philips Viva AirFryer. If you have any questions about it, please leave them in the comments and I would be HAPPY to answer them!
You can find out all about the Philips Viva AirFryer and get delicious recipes through their social channels:
- Philips Kitchen Appliances Website: https://www.usa.philips.com/c-m-ho/kitchen-appliances
- Philips Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PhilipsHomeLiving/
- Philips Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/philipshome
- Philips Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/philipshomeliving/
- Philips Twitter: https://twitter.com/philipshomein
I am EXCITED to share the other AirFryer recipes we have been working on!
Have a delicious day!
I used your recipe and just made onion rings in my air fryer. I didn’t do the oil instead I sprayed the basket and onions with a olive oil spray. Worked wonders. It was so good, the best recipe yet. Thank you.
Oh yay! I’m so happy to hear that!
Kathy Hantle says
I tried the onion but 4got the oil at the bottom. It had a Great flavor but not texture. Maybe the oil being left out?
I will try it again tho, with the oil! lol
Jen, I am going out to buy one today just so I can make this onion and try the recipes that you have shared. Did you also make a sauce to dip the onion in….if so, would you mind to share it!!!!
Monica Taylor says
I just got an air dry machine. Can’t wsit to make this for my boys.
You are going to love it! We have been having such a fun time with ours!
This looks perfect for our party. Thanks!
I hope you love it!