Halloween is my favorite!
Here’s a fun little idea. You know how mason jars are all the rage? Well save those lids and make a little wreath. My friend Donna from Funky Junk shared a rusted one and I thought it might be fun to take the concept and create a Halloween canning jar lid wreath with paint and washi tape.
I just love the way it turned out!!
Here’s how to make this colorful and easy wreath:
- 32 canning jar lids. You can collect the lids or you can buy the lids separately in packs from the grocery store. I bought mine at Walmart.
- Another idea is to put a request on Freecycle.org – it’s a site where evertything is free. I’ve gotten a lot of craft supplies for projects through that site.
- Or raid your mom or grandma’s mason jar supply LOL!!
- Paint – I used three different colors — coral, white and grey. I spray painted my mason jar rings.
- Washi Tape – I used 4 different colors and patterns. (I found them at Michaels in 2-packs)
- Ribbon – to tie the lids together and also for a bow.
- Divide up the canning jar lids into three different piles.
- Paint each pile of lids a different color. I painted 16 white, 8 coral and 8 grey. Let them dry overnight.
- Wrap washi tape around some of the lids. I only added washi tape to the white lids. If your washi tape has a hard time sticking at the ends, you can add a dab of hot glue to the seam.
- String up the rings on a piece of ribbon.
- Once the rings are on the ribbon, cinch it tight, creating a wreath shape.
- Tie the ends of the ribbon at the top and attach a decorative ribbon to the top of the main ribbon. I used a glue gun to attach the ribbon at the top.
I also added some washi tape to some faux pumpkins. I just spray painted the pumpkins white and added lines of washi tape to the pumpkins. Super easy!
This is not a big wreath, but it’s a wreath that adds an OOMPH of Halloween personality!!
What are YOU making for Halloween??
Let me know in the comments!!
I love this idea. I made an Americana/USA one. Turned out great! Going to raid all my fellow
canner’s stashes for the old, rusty bands. Thankx for a great idea.
Tricia @ Simplicity in the South says
Oh my goodness! Your wreath and pumpkins are adorable!!! Can you believe I haven’t bought washi tape yet? This gives me a good reason to stock up. Can’t wait to try this!
VERY CUTE & SUPRISINGLY EASY!!
Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage says
Cute! I have so many fall projects going on right! It’s so fun!
(I’m here via the Cottage Market!)
Krista @ the happy housie says
SOOO cute Jen! I love the colours and patterns all mixed – so fresh and fun and non-traditional! My projects for Halloween involve a lot of thrifted items and a lot more spray paint…
I love your wreath! My friend and I were so inspired we made them too! I spray painted all our lids white and used washing tape (in 5 different colors/patterns). I love it! It’s hanging over my kitchen sink. Thanks for the inspiration Jen!
Love this! Can you share what kind of spray paint you used?
I found all the other supplies and want it to match, lol!!!
Just wondering if you used standard sized or wide mason lids? I have both cant decide which is better. The wide masons I have, have a diameter of almost 3 1/2 inches. Seems that’s maybe what u used. Also how did you get the wreath to hang so nice? They seem to shift around alot. Thanks such a great idea!!
Eileen Hull says
Jen this wreath is adorable and so are the washi tape pumpkins. I love how you always manage to make things look easy, do-able and so pretty at the same time!
OK, this is just CRAZY cute. I absolutely adore this, and WOW on the creativity part. You’re my hero!! 🙂
I absolutel ADORE this Jen!! So apparently Facebook no longer notifies you when someone tags your FB page, so I thought I would let you know that I shared this with my FB fans 🙂 https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153275024655217&set=a.353593675216.349539.323548680216&type=1
Fantastic idea Jen! Amazing colors, love it.
Amy W says
This is so adorable! I love the colors you choose to use, as well. I’m a huge fan on adding a bit more color than the typical Halloween black and white. Thanks for sharing!
Sarah @ Craft Quickies says
LOVE LOVE LOVE! Fab as always!! 🙂
Shannon (@DEsUnion) says
Love the wreath! I am going to Michaels today and we have tons of lids from canning. I am so making this for the front door!
Domestic Engineer’s Union
Suzie @ Dorothy Sue and Millie Bs too says
I love this! It turned out awesome…. Love the original that Donna created…but this is so fun and festive! These colors are all the rage in my home right now, too!!!!
Please send pattern pieces for help hand apron Please thanks your site is keeping me busy with my new sewing machine and hobby I love
Jenni Renee says
I love it. I accidently bought Halloween tape last year instead of ribbons and having known what to do with it. Im going to have to try this.
eva scott says
I LOVE this wreath so much!!!! It’s so pretty and happy and perfect for any time of the year. Love it!!
Wow! This is such a cute idea. We use mason jars as cups so I have SOOOO many lids that I don’t need…..I’m totally trying this! 🙂