Farmhouse Wood Bead and Pom Pom Garland. Create a beautiful garland for the holidays or all winter long with yarn and beads.
Farmhouse Wood Bead and Pom Pom Garlands
There’s something magical about pom poms. I love them on everything — drapes, bed-skirts, duvets, clothes and decor! I’ve been making handmade pom poms for years now and they are one of my favorite crafts to make.
13 Holiday Pom Pom Ideas
I’m joining some creative friends who are also sharing pom pom ideas! Be sure to scroll down to the end of the post and hop over to see their gorgeous holiday pom pom ideas!
Make Any Color Pom Pom to go with Your Decor
The thing I love about making yarn pom poms is you can change the color to match whatever project you are creating. All you need to do is get yarn the color that you want to make your pom poms and in minutes you can have small pom poms like the ones I used to make the tassel on my DIY Picnic Basket, or giant ones like the ones I made for this wood garland project.
Colorful Holiday Pom Poms
Last year I created a bright and colorful holiday mantel and tree. I love the colors! This year I am going to recreate that tree and mantel in my new office at the 1891 avenues cottage.
No Tools are Needed to Create Beautiful Pom Poms
I made a new garland for that bright and colorful tree! Bright pom poms really makes me happy! I don’t use pom pom tools. Instead, I cut a piece of cardboard to the size I want and use trim my pom poms by hand.
Neutral Pom Poms for Farmhouse Decor
Of course you can customize this project with more neutral, white or tan pom poms and it’s a gorgeous addition to your farmhouse decor! Just follow the same directions, and choose a neutral yarn color instead of the colorful colors I chose.
Only Two Supplies to Make Farmhouse Wood Bead and Pom Pom Garland
You only need two supplies to make this project — wood beads and yarn! So easy!
How to Make Handmade Pom Poms
- Measure how wide you want your pom poms to be. Now double the width of your pom poms and add an inch. Cut a piece of cardboard the to that width. You add an extra inch because you will need that to shape your pom poms. The reason I have you double the width is that you will cut your string in half. This makes it easier – instead of wrapping the cardboard 200 times, you only have to wrap it 100 times since you are cutting it in half.
- Slide the yarn off of the cardboard. Then cut each end of the yarn.
- Hold the end of one side of the cut yarn. Cut the entire yarn in half.
- Lay both cut yarn in a even pile. Then cut a 12-inch piece of yarn and wrap a long piece of yarn around the yarn pile and tie on one side. Flip the wrapped yarn pile over and wrap the yarn around the other side and tie it there too so it’s extra secure.
- Leave the longer string you used to tie the pom pom. You will use it to tie the pom pom onto the wood bead strand later.
- Hold the pom pom up and fluff it out. Then start trimming it into a ball shape.
- Repeat this process. Make as many pom poms as you want for your garland.
- String the wood beads. You can use either string or twine and tie the ends off.
- Lay the wood bead strand on a flat surface. Arrange the pom poms where you want them on the strand.
- Tie each pom pom to the bead strand. Use the long yarn that is still attached to each pom pom to tie them in between the beads at the intervals you decided on the bead strand. I counted out 8 beads and tied my pom poms between every eighth bead, but you can use whatever spacing you want, depending on how big you made your pom poms and what you want your garland to look like.
Enjoy Your New Farmhouse Wood Bead and Pom Pom Garland
You can use your garland to decorate a tree or mantel, or make a few and decorate your banister or a doorway. The ideas are endless!
13 DIY Holiday Pom Pom Ideas
DIY Christmas Pillow // Pom Pom String Light Tea Towel // Christmas Wreath with Pom Poms // Farmhouse Wood Bead and Pom Pom Garland // Christmas Pillow
Pom Pom Christmas Mantel // Christmas Pom Pom Hoop Wreath // Pom Pom Snowflake Pillow // Easy No Sew Pom Pom Tea Towels
Rustic Pom Pom Wreath // Pom Pom Napkin Rings // Pom Pom Christmas Hand Towels // Pom Pom Basket
Have a Creative Day!
Landon "Lumber Master" Edgington says
Christmas really be coming to our house now and this is very easy projects to make.
Heather Luckhurst says
Gorgeous Jen!! Love the beautiful colors and textures! Pinned!
Rhonda Hallstrom says
So colorful and fun! Love it
Ashley Stringfellow says
It turned out so cute and colorful! Thanks for joining us for this fun holiday blog hop!
Jordan Kahn says
What a darling garland idea!!
Thank you Jordan! I love seeing all of the pom pom ideas!!