{Bow and Arrow} Valentine Wreath Tutorial

bow and arrow wreath
TGIF Tatertots & Jello readers!
I’m Maggie, your guest blogger today from Black and White {Side by Side}.
blackandwhitesidebyside image
Black and White {Side by Side} is my growing collection of do-it-yourself home, wedding and party ideas + random other things that catch my eye :) Come by and check it out!
Today, I’m excited to share with you my “Bow and Arrow” Valentine Wreath tutorial. YOU are the crafty ones I admire every weekend at the Tatertots & Jello Weekend Wrap Up Party and I can’t wait to see what you will do with the little bit of inspiration that I hope this tutorial provides :)

1. Start by wrapping a 12″ straw heart wreath in yarn. I’m not going to lie, this part takes awhile. Turn on the TV, watch a movie, call a friend! It’s easy, mindless crafting, so do something fun at the same time :) Also, save yourself a step and don’t bother taking off the plastic wrapping around the wreath.
cupids arrow wreath 1
2. Make “Cupid’s Arrow”. Standard 12″ dowel rods available at your local craft store are just a tad short for this project. You will need one full 12″ dowel rod and a small piece of another.
tip on cutting dowel rods
The dowel rods are easy to push through the straw wreath frame. Push the full 12″ one through first. This should cover the bottom left portion of the arrow, through the middle. Cut a small piece of a second dowel to complete the upper right portion of your arrow. Embellish with felt to complete the look you want!
DSCN7631
I used hearts for the point of my arrow and a semi circle for the bottom fin.
3. Create a custom banner.I had this “love” vinyl decal laying around, so I applied it directly to a long strip of cream felt. But don’t let me stifle your creative ideas! Individualize your banner with something special for you and your Valentine!
DSCN7629
These vinyl decals are not intended for fabric application, but hey - it worked for me! Give it a try!
DSCN7626
4. Finishing touches. I snipped the ends of my banner to make prettier tails and then attached it to the wreath with straight sewing pins. Use a hot glue gun to attach stiffened felt to the back of your banner before pinning it on.
DSCN7649
Applying stiffened felt, only to the middle of the banner.
DSCN7653
Add more of the stiffened felt to give the tails of your banner some structure.
DSCN7661

DSCN7668

Hang with some decorative ribbon and a lovely bow!
Get it? BOW and ARROW wreath? :)
DSCN7691
DSCN7679
bow and arrow wreath
The little fin gets lost in the black background, but it shows the rest of the wreath so well, I had to include it!
I hope you’re feeling inspired to make one for your front door :)
Have a great weekend and Happy Valentines Day!
P.S. Jen, Thank you so much for allowing me to guest post on your amazing site! Your positive and do-it-yourself attitude inspire me! I feel encouraged everyday when I stop by Tatertots and Jello to see what’s new! Thank you and keep up the great work!!!
xoxo – Maggie

Maggie – that is amazing!!

I love the arrow through the wreath. So cute!!
I have loved Maggie’s blog Side by Side for so long. You will love all of her awesome projects!!
{Love this Quick and Easy Valentine Decor}
Be sure to check out all the fun happening at Black and White {Side by Side}!!

PS — I am getting organized over at Brooklyn Limestone today!

PPS – And am sharing a fun organization post over at Brown Paper Packages today!!I’m getting so organized!!!!

Comments

1. I love this! Simple and pretty, thank you for sharing. Gotta go grab a heart wreath and some felt…

2. Where do you get the heart??

3. LOVE this wreath – adorable, especially the felt banner!

4. Would you email me and let me know where you found the heart wreath? I’ve never seen them before! Too cute and I am pinning it on Pinterest!

5. Jellybeans & Juniper says:

I LOVE this wreath! Thanks for sharing!!!

6. Thanks for your inspiration! Now I know what to do with my leftover knitting yarn! You are sooooo creative!!!

7. Thanks for your inspiration! Now I know what to do with my leftover knitting yarn! You are sooooo creative!!!

8. Courtney Joyce says:

I am going to be sharing this with others! You are so creative and I look forward to seeing future crafts you're going to create:)

9. Maggie @ Black and White {Side by Side} says:

Thanks so much for having me, Jen!!! And a huge thanks for all the sweet comments :)

10. That is such a cute wreath!

11. Love Maggie and that wreath!

12. Kassi @ Truly Lovely says:

This wreath is so stinkin' cute!! Love the idea for the arrow! :) Thanks for sharing!!

13. The wreath is the first V-day themed door decor that I loved so far…so cute!Def gonna try to make one of my own!Thanks!

14. How adorable! Such a great idea! I love the way you used a dowel to make an arrow going through the heart. What a cute, unique twist on the yarn wreath. :)

15. Tara @ FabuLESSly Crafty says:

Hi Jen!

I gave you the Stylish Blogger Award! http://menmythriftyideas.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html

16. lauren@warmandfuzzy says:

Love Maggie and her blog. Love this wreath. I am going to have to try my luck with a yarn wreath its just so cute and seems so easy peasy! Love this one!!

17. So adorable! I love making yarn wreaths and I don't really consider myself "crafty"! Can't wait to do this one! Maggie is awesome!!

18. Adorable!

19. Heidi@TheCraftMonkey says:

that wreath is gorgeous!!!!! LOVES It!

20. wow i love this! it's totally my style I can't wait to make my own

21. Lotta love going on — so cute. Love the arrow!

22. I LOVE Maggie's blog! She is so creative and has such great taste! All of y'all need to follow her. She's the shiz. ;) Love the wreath, Mag!

23. Love love this idea! Can't wait to try it out this weekend! I've been following B&W for a while now and love all of her fun & festive ideas!

24. So Super Cute!! Love the arrow idea!

25. This is a super cute idea. Love the LOVE sign in the middle. SO sweet.

Ruth

26. Maria-Isabel @ Agape Love Designs says:

Oh I just LOVE that! So cute! Its so funny, I just happen to find her blog and stat following yesterday!! haha Just found that interesting.
    She has a wonderful blog! :)
    ~Maria-Isabel

27. Sarah @ Scissors and a Whisk says:

Cute!! I have a little syrofoam heart I could use for something like this — thanks for the inspiration! I didn't know what to do with it and didn't want to make just a lil' ol' heart wreath :)

28. Um, LOVE. Too cute. I get way too many ideas coming here!

29. Such a cute twist on a yarn wreath!! I love that it's not completely pink and red like most Valentine's Day decorations. Her blog is super cute and she always has such great ideas! Thanks for sharing!!

30. Emily Call says:

pretty sure I'm in LOVE with that wreath! So cute.

31. Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top says:

I love this!!!!! I have always loved yarn wreaths. And this one is fabulous! What a fun idea.

32. Kendra @ House of Ficek says:

I love this take on the yarn wreaths! It is fun to see a fresh and fun craft idea :)

33. Erin @ Crafts and Sutch says:

This is darling! Thank you so much for sharing!