Simple Sewing Project — Tiny Bunting Dishtowels!!

Here’s a little neighbor gift idea that’s inexpensive and I think it’s fun because it’s something that can be used after Christmas as well.
Little Bunting Dishtowels.
Here’s what you need:
  • Flour Sack from the Dollar Store or another type of cotton material.
  • A piece of material that is 21 inches in width by 6 inches in height.
  • A coordinating piece of material that is 4 inches in width by 40 inches in length.
  • A coordinating ribbon that is 21 inches wide.
  • Scraps of those 2 materials.
  • Ric rac or another thin type of ribbon that is 30 inches in length.

Here’s how to make them:

1. Take a Dollar Store Flour Sack — 2/$1. Cut the Four Sack so that it’s the same size as a dishtowel by trimming one of the sides to 20 inches in width.

2. Hem the side of the towel by turning it under two times and sewing it. If you have a serger then it’s even easier!

3. Measure the width of the bottom of your towel. Fold the edges of the larger piece of material and pin. Then iron the edges under.

4. Make ruffle. Hem the edges of the sides of the longer piece of fabric. Then use your widest stitch setting and make a stitch down the center of the ruffle. Gather the ruffle by pulling on one of the threads.

5. Now lay the large piece of material with the ironed edges on the bottom of the towel with the ruffle on top so that it is just as wide as the material underneath. Then lay the coordinating ribbon over the top. Pin it all in place.

6. Sew along the edges of the large material — I used a zig zag stitch. Then sew right down the middle of the ribbon.

7. Now you can add bunting if you want. Use a pencil to draw a the lines of the bunting. Then pin and stitch the ric rac or small ribbon on the towel.

8. Make a template — 1.5″ x 1.5″ out of cardstock and cut out some triangles out of the coordinating fabric. I put 4-5 pennants on each towel. Add a dab of liquid stitch under each pennant (optional) and pin in place, then stitch each pennant on the towels.

And you are done!!
You can wrap each one in cellophane and give them out like that.

{Tag made with leftover fabric and a paper sack sewn together}
Or, if you want to punch it up a little — you can make a casserole or dessert and deliver it, along with the dish towel. Another idea is to add a little cookie cutter to the wrapped up package, with a note that says something like “Bake up Some Christmas Cheer!”
Now your neighbors have something festive that they can use all year round!
xox

Comments

1. creatinglovely says:

Thanks for all the amazing inspirations! I wish I would have started my Christmas projects sooner! I am going to make some of these towels to coordinate with a baby shower I am hosting at my house! I think they will match perfectly…how fun!!

2. creatinglovely says:

3. Its So Very Cheri says:

Hey Jenn I am posting about these tomorrow on my blog.

cheri

4. Blujeanmama says:

Because of your blog I need a sewing machine and some skills PRONTO. ;o) These are so cute.

5. Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com says:

Love these dishtowels Jen!!! The combo of the pennant, ric rac, and ruffles is perfect!!! I can't wait to make up a set after Christmas. :)
    Hope you and your family have a fantastic Christmas and New Years!!! :)

6. Awesome! I am secretly excited that Christmas is almost over so that I can start redecorating my kitchen. This is on my list!

7. Kassi @ Truly Lovely says:

These are SO fun! And seem like a cheap, but still lovely little gift!

8. PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

I am so in love with these!!!

9. pk @ Room Remix says:

Very fun idea – love the fun colors and patterns!

Merry Christmas, Jen!

10. So fabulous in every way!!! Love these sweet towels!! Will be making some for sure…maybe for valentine's! Thanks for all the wonderful inspiration through the year and Merry Christmas!

11. sleepyhead designs studio says:

As if you didn't already know from all your comments, those are fabulous! I'm sooo envious of your sewing ability! I know you say "easy" but theres no way I could do that! You are very talented!

12. Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder says:

You've heard I'm your new neighbor, right? 😉

13. {northern cottage} says:

gor.ge.ous! I love it & the colors are so vibrant and fresh. Pure lovliness!

14. Cold Oatmeal and Purple Cows says:

These are wonderful! I will be sure to make a set of these to go in my towels fore gifting stash! I love buntings especially tiny ones!

15. These are super cute!!!

16. marla {Family Fresh Cooking} says:

You are amazing! Really & truly. These are beautiful dish towels & great for gifts.

17. Ali Rockwell says:

These are so incredibly adorable!

18. Admitted Fabricaholic says:

What a fun idea! Would be great to add a little printed bible verse on the other side :)

19. Bellenza Wedding Bistro says:

What a pretty and practical gift idea! The appliques can be cut to suit any season, so these dish towels would be perfect all year round.

Too much cuteness, Jen! I love the way you wrapped everything up and paired the towel with other items. A great teacher gift! :)

21. What a super idea! I was just looking at the flour sack cloths in the dollar store. I packed up my sewing stuff till after the holidays, but that's on my list. I think it might be birthday present material.

22. Thanks for the tute, these are fantastic! No more time for gift making this year, but they'd be just as nice as a birthday gift.

23. Michelle-esque says:

Okay now this is just too cute! :) I love this idea!

24. That is so darling! I love it. You make me want to bring out my sewing machine…problem is it's been 20 years since I've used one. (HS Home EC) Thanks for the great instructions…I may give it a try.

25. So sweet Jen! Wish I was your neighbour, and not just for the goodies and tea towels either! Love you to bits! Merry Christmas!! xxoo

26. Michelle @ Loving Every Second says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!! I seriously need to go make some these, like, now!

27. Adorable! I'm saving ideas for next year, and i'm definately doing this one :)

28. Adorable! I'm saving ideas for next year, and i'm definately doing this one :)

29. Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking says:

SUPER cute! I think even I could make this with my poor sewing skills.

30. I♥naptime w/ Chocolate Sundaes says:

LOVE these! What a cute gift! And your little girl is darling!

31. This is absolutely DARLING!