Fall Project — Reversible Candy Corn Bunting!

I love my Ruffled Burlap Pennant, but wanted to make something kind of Fall-ish and festive for this season.

I thought Candy Corn would be fun since it’s the same shape as a pennant and reminds me of Fall.

I bought some cotton material in orange and yellow and then used some left over canvas from my Halloween Pennant Pillows for the fabric.

Supplies:

• Orange, yellow and white fabric — 4 inches in width by 50 inches in length (or however long you need it to make the number of pennants that you want.
  • Sewing machine
  • An iron
  • 4 lengths of ribbon — 80 inches each (if you want to do two buntings — 130 inches if you want to do one bunting)

Here’s what I did:

• I decided how big I wanted my pennants. Then I cut out a template. I used cardstock.
  • Cut each length of fabric — 4 inches in width by 50 inches in length.
  • Pinned the fabric together and sewed the lengths together — it looks striped. *** note – sew the three fabrics together BEFORE you cut out the pennants***. I took a picture of this — but it disappeared…
  • Lay the Pennant Template on top of the fabric and cut out 24 pennants. I flipped it over so that I could get as many out of the material as possible – this is what makes it reversible.
  • Then I matched up the pennants. One side is white, yellow, orange and the other side is orange, yellow, white — reversible.
  • I put them inside out and sewed along the edges. Then I popped them right side out again and used a pencil to push the pointy part out at the bottom.
  • Then I ironed them all to make them flat and give them a crisp triangular shape.
  • The next thing I did was hot glued ribbon onto the pennants. I spaced them out 5 inches from the beginning of one pennant to the beginning of the next. 5 inches of space between each. ***note — you can sew the ribbon to the pennants instead of hot gluing it***
  • Then I flipped the whole thing over and hot glued another piece of ribbon to the other side, so each pennant’s top is sandwiched between the two pieces of ribbon.
  • I made two pennants with 6 pennant shapes on each. If you wanted, you can combine all the pennants on one bunting. I just like the look of the reversed pennants together.
Now I’m all excited for Fall weather and a trip to the Pumpkin Patch!!!

Have a Great Night!

I’m linking up my bunting and Fall Mantle with The Nester’s Mantle Party.
Come link up yours too!
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite SpecialUndertheTableandDreamingAll Thingz Related giveawaysLife as LoriThe Trendy TreehouseThe DIY Show OffTidy Mom I'm Lovin It FridaysBCD 125

Comments

1. I love this idea and I love your blog! The pennant is so perfect for fall. I hope you don’t mind, I wrote about it in a recent blog post. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea. I can’t wait to make one myself!

2. Elizabeth says:

Hi Jen,
    I hope you are having a good day today! My name is Elizabeth Jensen and I am the assistant Holidays Web editor at Better Homes and Gardens. I am contacting you because I was looking through The Nester’s Mantel Linky Party (http://www.thenester.com/2010/09/fall-mantel-party.html) and came across the pictures you posted of your beautiful mantel. I am currently working on creating a fresh slideshow on fall mantels to feature on BHG.com during the 2011 season and would love to include yours. We would include an image of your mantel, a description and tips on how our readers can replicate it, and of course, give designer credit to you.

If this is something you are interested in I just need you to send me a hi-res version of the full shot of the mantel (300 dpi or better), your phone number, primary email address and mailing address. Then, our editorial assistant will follow-up with a form for you to sign so that we can share your image.

A few tips I’d like to include with your mantel:
    • What are the most important tips for creating the candy corn garland?
    • Is there anything else/other mantel tips you’d like to share with our readers?

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns! I look forward to hearing from you.

Elizabeth Jensen
    Elizabeth.Jensen@Meredith.com
    515/284-3694

Assistant Holidays Web Editor
    1716 Locust Street
    Des Moines, IA 50309

3. Mamarazzi says:

Hey there, I just stopped in to let you know I featured this total cuteness on my blog today! I really love this bunting!

Come on by to grab a button to brag about it!!

4. HOOTIN' ANNI says:

Everything that deals with Autumn and Halloween, I truly love!!!

My Show n Tell is my newest Witch for my collection.

The link is HERE I'd love to have you stop by for a visit.

5. FineArtPainting says:

Hi Jen, well your passion for Fall decor is … everywhere! Love this really fun bunting. Thx for the tutorial pix too.

Come link up the project in our DIY CRAFT tutorial party this week:

I'd love to show your work,

Smiles,
    Rose

ps when you 'follow the rules' and create a link back from your website/article, you can easily find us again and come back week after week with new craft DIY tutorials.

6. Cozy Home Scenes says:

I love candy corn, so I think your pennants are adorable!

7. Condo Blues says:

Sewing the three colors of fabric together before you started cutting them out is smart. I wouldn't have thought of that because I have to do things the hard way.

8. So very cute! Happy Fall!

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday at Life As Lori! Please join me again for another great party!

9. Super duper cute! I love it!

Corinna

10. This is really cute and so clever! I reblogged and linked to it. Hope that is okay! Thanks so much!

11. Ohmygoodness….SO CUTE!! I am in love with this idea and I LOVE Your blog!!! You are so creative! I just bought the fabric to make this adorable candy corn bunting…thanks to you and your amazing creativity!! {heart} Joanna

12. amylouwho says:

This is so cute! I just made my first bunting last week! I was eating candy corn today and thought, hmmm I should make a candy corn bunting! I'm so clever! *pause* Hmm, I bet someone else has already done this. So this came up when I googled it! Really cute!! Great minds think alike!

13. Christine says:

I love this idea, super cute!!
    I am sharing it on my blog today,
    have a great one:)
    Christine
    greatoakcircle.com

14. ADORABLE !!!!!
    thanks for sharing,
    gena

15. 3LittleByrds says:

I love that candy corn garland and your iron scroll mirror.

16. Love this! I'm not that handy with a needle and thread, but I'm going to show it my mother-in-law to see if she can help me with it! Thanks! Lx

17. I was looking for some fall crafts and boy did I find the right blog. Awesome stuff here!! Great job!

18. That's so cute!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:

–Anne

19. Denise Marie says:

Jen…love it and all that you do. Pray for me that the Lord will send me some energy like yours. lol

20. Beki - TheRustedChain says:

Completely in love with this Candy Corn bunting.. LOVE!

21. mrssherbert says:

Very cute Jen! I love it!

22. this blessed nest says:

i think we must of been seperated at birth. you & i have a serious thing for buntings! i love this & your one from before. it's too too cute. it matches your pillows.

thanks for linking this up! i heart your stone fireplace as well. it's all nice & cozy & colorful in your house. just as i pictured. ;)

kellie

23. Laura @ Ms Smartie Pants says:

That is so cute but what I really love is the fireplace stone!!! I also would love to see a better picture of that chandelier. Great fall decor, I wish we would get out of the 90's so I would feel in the fall mood!

24. Adorable! What a cute decoration! I am loving all the candy corn stuff I am seeing lately!

25. Wow! Jen, I just adore candy corn! This bunting is so cute!

Oh this is so cute…I love candy corn!

27. AndreaLeigh says:

gorgeous jenn! i'm blown away by your creativity. i've been reading for ages – I just have to say I'm so proud of what you've turned your blog into!

i'd love to hear how you are doing sometime. What's new in your life?

28. love it! I cant wait to get out all my fall decor! now if only I can find the box in the garage…. :)

29. Just adorable! I wonder if I made one would I quit EATING candy corn??

30. So cute!

Can you tell me about the table runner? it looks beautiful from what I can see. I'd love to know what fabric that is.

31. Krista@thegatheringplacedesign says:

Love this! One day I need to attempt one of your banners, but it would have to be a no sew/poor immitation. ;) Look at all the fun fall around your home. You are amazing. AND… Thank you SO much for the FB love! Very sweet of you and much appreciated!

32. Nancy's Couture says:

It is so cute and festive!!!!

33. ADORABLE…looks just like candy corn! Good enough to eat! Have a blessed day, Jen!

34. GREAT IDEA!! I didn't have fabric, so I improvised and used berlap to make indian corn! =)

35. Michelle Whitlow says:

Love it!! I'm so ready for fall decor!!

36. Miss Fergie says:

So cute I love them! I'm sharing them at my blog today :)

37. They kind of remind me of traffic cones. You could use them for decoration in a boys bedroom too!

38. Oh I love the bunting. Thanks for sharing!

39. I love this! You come up with the best ideas!!

40. Jen, cute and very Autumnal!!! I love it!! xxoo

41. Leave it to you Jen! You are awesome!!!!!! What a fun decorative item to add to your home for Halloween!

42. Home and Heart says:

Candy Corn CUTENESS!! *Squeal*!!

43. It's so cute! Love candy corn!

44. Jenglamgirl says:

So darling Jen~ Just like you. Love the bunint and the entire mantel, well done. Hugs, JEN

45. Chic Creations says:

So very cute. I think I need to make me a pendant. Seems that is the thing to have. . . thanks for sharing your great directions. I am going to try this. You do the cutest things. Thanks for sharing them. Especially with copy-cats like me.

46. Momma Button says:

Sew in love with this one!! I just need to get my machine back from my friend so that I can make one. Thanks for sharing Jen!

47. So very cute…I love it! I am into buntings lately! Halloween themes/fabrics are so much fun to use!

48. Laurel @ Ducks in a Row says:

Waste not, want not . . . or something like that. Adorable!

49. So cute! I love it!

50. Adorable! I still have yet to try to make any bunting.

I made a different garland that I will be sharing but no bunting quite yet.

51. Decorchick! says:

Jen that is SOOO cute!! I've been eating candy corn like crazy the past 2 days so this project especially has a soft place in my heart. :)

52. Candy (Mama Lion) says:

this is so great and creative. i love it!

53. Candy (Mama Lion) says:

this is so great and creative. i love it!

54. House of Smith's says:

What a CUTE idea!
    So fun! I need to do one of these for Aubrie's room, in her colors :)
    Great tutorial!
    Love ya!
    ~shelley

55. kelley @ the eclectic owl says:

Umm hello adorableness?!?! Love the candy corn idea!

56. Your ideas are so cute! I am not a sewer (yet!) but I totally want to make your ribbon wreath and canvas pillows!!

57. Soooooo cute. Can I move in with you for the month of October?

58. Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com says:

Thanks Ashley! I just love decorating for this time of year :)

Jen

59. Ashley @ The Hillside Home says:

So cute, Jen! I love the two side by side with opposite colors. Great tutorial…. geez, there are so many of your projects that I want to try!!! Where will I find the time?!?!? :)

1. […] a roundup of lovely decor without including one of the billions of gorgeous projects from Jen at Tatortots and Jello. She is so […]

2. […] Tatertots and Jello is the tutorial for Candy Corn Bunting. Candy Corn Bunting at Tatertots and […]