I worked with Amazon Prime to bring you a costume made out of a box! All opinions are my own.
Western Boxtume Costume DIY Inspired by a Popular Song . Turn a catchy western song into an easy Halloween costume with Amazon Prime smile boxes and some creativity!
Western Boxtume Costume DIY Inspired by a Popular Song
Who’s excited for Halloween? I love Halloween and I love a fast and easy costume idea. I made a unicorn “boxtume” a couple of years ago out of an Amazon Prime smile box and I thought it would be fun to create another easy boxtume costume idea.
My kids are obsessed with the country song at the top of the charts this year. It’s so catchy and the music video is so fun to watch!! We thought it would be fun to create our boxtume based on this popular song!
Make a Horse Costume Out of Two Boxes
We created the horse for this boxtume costume out of two Amazon Prime smile Boxes. In literally minutes, we had a cute horse!
Get Creative with Fabric Paint
We used fabric paint to create the horses and other items on the jacket for this costume. The western outfit that the star of the music video wears features hand-painted designs. Your kids will love painting on the jacket. You can get as detailed as you want, including personalizing your costume to YOUR name. It’s fun!
Supplies Needed to Make a Western Halloween Boxtume Costume
Make a Horse Costume Out of Two Boxes:
2 Amazon Prime Smile Boxes (one medium, one small – the exact size depends on the size of the child wearing the costume)
Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
1 short dowel
Black Sharpie Marker
3 Yards of Brown Ribbon
How to Make a Western Costume:
1 Black Shirt or Jacket
1 Black Cowboy Hat
Fabric Paints (you can buy bright fabric paints in a set)
Black pants and Shoes
Western Boxtume Costume DIY
How to Create a Horse Out of Two Amazon Prime Smile Boxes
- Cut both boxes at one of the seams and flip it inside out, then reglue it together.
- Put the small box together, gluing the flaps closed.
- Cut the bottom flaps off completely.
- Fold the top flaps and cut each flap to 3-inches. Then fold the flaps together and hot glue at the edges, creating a hole in the center of the box.
- Cut an X in the middle of the front flap. This is where the dowel will be inserted that holds the head onto the horses body.
- Insert the dowel 2 inches into the hole and hot glue the dowel in place from both sides. First hot glue the dowel from the top and let cool. Then flip the box over and hot glue the dowel from underneath and let cool.
- Cut FOUR 2-inch by 6-inch pieces of cardboard. Bend each cardboard strip at the top. Then hot glue the pieces of cardboard to the base of the dowel to reinforce it.
- Flip the box over and repeat the step above, creating FOUR cardboard strips. Use these to reinforce the bottom of the dowel. Hold the strips tightly against the dowel until they cool completely.
- Make 2 cuts in the center of the small box, along the seam where the flaps meet. This is where the other end of the dowel will be inserted to attach the head to the body.
- Insert the other end of the dowel into the opening between the flaps in the center of the smaller box. Hot glue the dowel into place and let the glue cool.
- Cut FOUR 2-inch x 6 inch pieces of cardboard.the same as you did for the body. Repeat this step by using the strips to reinforce the dowel that holds the horses head. Press each strip against the dowel firmly until each one is cool.
- Make ears. Cut two triangles out of the left over cardboard flaps. Each ear should have a 90-degree right angle. The ears are approximately 6-inches by 4-inches.
- Glue the ears onto the back of the horses head. Line up the 90-degree angle on the ears with the straight line at the back of the box.
- Spray paint the horse.
- Hot glue the raffia to the head and tail.
- Hot glue the two ribbon straps to the top four corners of the box.
- Draw two eyes, each right in front of the horses ears.
How to Make an Western Cowboy Costume
- Paint the Jacket, using paint pens. Let dry.
I also made a video showing how to make this costume —
How to Paint a Western Jacket Like the One in the Video
The key to this costume is the western outfit. Naturally, we were inspired by the western video this boxtume was inspired by. But you can do whatever you want and have your kids make their own costume. On the jacket from the music video, there are a couple recognizable images — two horses, one on each side of the front of the jacket. Then two horseshoes, one on each sleeve. There is also a big horseshoe that is split in half at the top of the jacket.
Personalize the Costume
Have your child paint their name on the back of the jacket. We painted ours similar to the one worn in the video with one letter bigger than the others.
Let the Paint Dry
The paint I used requires 24 hours to dry. Then once it is dry you set the fabric paint by ironing the paint onto the fabric. You can speed the drying time up by putting the jacket outside if it is hot in the sun. I did this and my jacket dried within 6 hours.
Enjoy Your Western Boxtume Costume!
We are ready for Halloween parties with our costume. Just for good measure, we thought it would be fun to bring along a portable speaker and play the song while we go trick-or-treating!
Another Boxtume Costume Idea
Be sure to check out the Unicorn Boxtume we made too! It’s a great way to use your Amazon Prime smile boxes and get creative!
This post is sponsored by Amazon Prime. Thanks for inspiring us to turn our Amazon Prime smile Boxes into cute costumes!