This post sponsored by Old Navy.
We love quesadillas at our house, but doing them in the microwave is underwhelming. So when Old Navy asked me to feature a fun summer recipe to celebrate their “Dress to Grill” Memorial Day Sale and Weber Grill Giveaway, I started thinking … why couldn’t I grill a quesadilla? And how could I make a yummy quesadilla that included more than just the cheese food group? (Yes, I know there isn’t a cheese food group, but my kids think there is. They also think ketchup is a vegetable.) So here’s a quick and easy recipe for some amazing, quick, tasty and healthy Quick Grilled Summer Quesadillas!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- One package burrito-sized large tortillas (mine had 16 tortillas in it) (I chose plain flour ones; you can choose whatever your family likes)
- One package grilled chicken strips — mine were just the basic ones from Costco
- One large (4-cup) package of shredded Mexican cheese (the four-cheese variety, not the seasoned kind. If you’re into the seasoned kind, get that. I won’t judge.)
- (Optional) One package of shredded quesadilla cheese
- 2 avocados, ripe
- One package fresh pico de gallo (or whatever salsa you prefer)
- One bunch of green onions
- Sour cream or Crema Mexicana (we prefer the latter)
- Anything you want to serve on the side, like tortilla chips
- Butter or oil and a brush or paper towel to grease the grill (we used 1-2-3 oil)
And here’s how to go from fridge to fed in 20 minutes!
- Assemble all the ingredients; light the grill and put it on medium low to low heat.
- Skin, seed and slice the avocados as thinly as you can (for me, one avocado filled about three quesadillas)
- Arrange tortillas on your counter (we made 3) and cover with shredded cheese. Unless you want to clean a lot of cheese out of your grill, you may want to leave 1/4″ or so around the edges. When in doubt, add more cheese.
- Arrange the chicken strips and avocado slices in a sunburst pattern around each quesadilla, alternating. (You can do this and the next two steps in any order)
- Add some green onions on the top. While you can slice them in advance, it’s just as fast to use a pair of scissors to snip off the ends of the green onions over the quesadillas. That’s my cooking tip of the week!
- Add pico de gallo, evenly distributed, in each quesadilla.
- Add a bit more cheese to the top
- Place another tortilla on the top of each quesadilla.
- Take quesadillas to the grill. My grill only fit two of these large tortillas at a time.
- I cooked my quesadillas only about 5 minutes total. After about 2 1/2 minutes, I flipped my quesadillas. Watch them closely!
- Let the quesadillas rest for a few minutes, then use a pizza cutter to cut them into slices.
- Serve with crema Mexicana/sour cream, salsa, chips, or anything you like!
You can imagine many variations on this — leave out the chicken for vegetarians; add cilantro if you like that, and so on. You could even add some lime juice to the inside … once it’s actually possible to buy limes again! And of course, it’s always better with chips and salsa! (Check out my pico de gallo recipe!)
* * * * *
Old Navy has been our go-to store for years!
Their dresses this year are so fun! I think they would be super cute and comfy to wear to BBQ’s this summer!
* * * * *
Ready to grill your own? To kickstart summer, Old Navy’s US Memorial weekend sale and giveaway will help!
- Every Old Navy Store will award one winner with a Weber Grill on Saturday May 24th, 2014. Look for the URL (Web address) on the signs in the store, visit the URL, and register for a chance to instantly win a grill – one person per store will win!
- Plus, visit Old Navy during US Memorial Day (5/23 – 5/26): everything in stores will be up to 50% off !
For more about Old Navy, visit http://www.oldnavy.com
* * * * *
Try the quesadillas and let me know how you changed them up! I’d love to try your recipes too!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Old Navy Memorial Day. The opinions and text are all mine. See my disclosures.
PS: I’ve linked up this post to these fabulous blogs this week!