We moved to Utah from the Bay Area, where we had a 1970’s-era house that we completely remodeled. We were so excited to move to a home with more room for our 3 growing kids. And our master bedroom in our new home was a nice big space. I always meant to work on my bedroom but somehow I never got around to it.
Fast forward 11 years. We are still in this home that we really love and our kids are now teenagers. Well, 3 of them are and we were blessed with one more child (Ella) since we moved here. I love my kids and I love having their friends over all the time.
But I thought – wouldn’t it be great to create a space in our room for a peaceful retreat for my husband and I??
So when I started getting serious about our master bedroom makeover – I knew I wanted this space to have different functions. One – the bedroom area. Two – the relaxation area. And three – the nook. We have a big bay window in our bedroom – which is awesome. Up until now it has housed two chairs and an end table that was never used. I thought — the light is beautiful in this space with all of the windows. Doesn’t it make sense to use this space every day??
So I brainstormed practical ways that we would use this space. And since my husband works at home when he isn’t traveling, and as a blogger I am on the computer all of the time, I wanted to create a space for a little mini-office where we can check our email, work and be creative — all in our own retreat! And I am so THRILLED with the way it’s turning out.
My kids’ school is right behind our home and I love to sit in this space where I can look at the mountains AND the school and see my kids playing at recess. I will share more about this space in the room reveal. But the table I turned into a desk is big enough for the two of us. And we love working up there together! The main element of the space is a chair that I reupholstered with the new HGTV line of fabrics – available exclusively at JoAnn Craft Stores. The chair ties the whole space together, including the table (bought from Downeast Home) and the rug (which I chose, courtesy of Downeast Home).
And the whole room will be revealed in the 30-Day Room Makeover JoAnn and HGTV Home Room Challenge (#HGTVHomeMagic) at their Pinterest Party on August 22nd.
Here’s how I changed up a discount or thrift-store chair:
I wanted a really modern/unique chair for the Master Bedroom Office Nook. I looked at my local thrift stores and finally ended up ordering a chair off of a discount chain online. I loved the modern wood back of the chair. I love the idea of bringing in some gold accents into the room, so I thought it would be fun to spraypaint the chair gold! And I upholstered it with the HGTV Garden Odyssey Fog Fabric. (I also used HGTV Home™ fabric for the pillow and in the frame you can see on the desk.)
- Take the seat off the existing chair.
- If you are going to spray paint the chair frame, do so now. (I spray painted my chair with Krylon Colormaster Gold Spray Paint). Be sure to sand down the wood and use 2 coats of primer first)
- Once the chair frame is painted, let it dry 24 hours (minimum) to let the paint set up.
- Now we’re going to upholster the seat while the paint dries on the frame.
- Cut out a piece of material at least 5 inches wider in width and height than the chair seat.
- Lay the chair seat on top of the material, with the wrong-side of the material facing up and the chair seat facing down.
- Use your handy-dandy upholstery staple gun to attach the new material to the seat.
- Start one side at a time and wrap the material around the seat. Fold the edges down at the ends and staple the material in place.
- Start in the middle of each side of the material and work your way to the edges.
- When you get to the edges, fold the material over the edges like you would a package and staple in place.
- When you get to the final edge of the seat, pull the fabric as tight as you can and staple in place.
- After you have stapled the fabric onto the seat, use a hammer to pound the staples more securely into the seat.
- Then replace the seat onto your chair.
This is an easy, no-sew way to change up a room! I love my new comfy chair!! And I am so excited about the 30-Day Room Makeover JoAnn and HGTV Home Room Challenge!! I am working on so many more FUN elements in the room. Like a Restoration chandelier knock-off, a beautiful custom duvet, a reading area, a custom-made bench and two focal walls. It is turning out to be the space of our dreams! A perfect retreat for us from the world. I hope you will come by for the reveal and Pinterest party on August 22nd. Plus, we are going to have a Google Hangout where Beckie, Kari, JamieLyn and I share tips and tricks from our rooms. It’s going to be so much fun!!!
Be sure to check out more about the #HGTVHomeMagic challenge at the Jo-Ann HGTV Home Website. Thank you so much JoAnn Stores for inviting me to be part of this challenge. I can’t wait to show you the whole room!!!
Fabric – HGTV Home™ fabric and trim from Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores (provided for this project)
Table and Rug – Downeast Home (rug provided for this project; I bought the table)
This post and the challenge are sponsored by Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft Stores, who provided the fabric … but the opinions and projects are all mine! Rug courtesy Downeast Home. Regardless of sponsorship or product provided, I only post about products or companies I love. For more information, see my disclosures.