10-Minute 4th of July Shirts!! {tutorial}

Here’s a fast and easy way to make some 4th of July shirts for your kids — or even yourself this year!!

I actually made these last year but the night before the Fourth {that’s how I roll} — too late to blog it. And my younger daughter grew out of her shirt, so I made her a new one to wear this year.

I used old shirts and scrap fabric, so this project also ended up being FREE. Yay!! I love a free project!!

And it seriously takes 10 minutes of your time to make. I also think you could make these shirts for boys — just use more boyish material. Maybe plaids, denim or flannel material?

Here’s what you do:

• Cut out the flag shapes. I made mine 6 inches wide by 4 inches tall. And the smaller one is 2.5 inches wide by 1.5 inches tall.

• Pin the shapes on your shirt.
  • Sew the shapes on the shirt. I used a zig zag stitch to go around the squares, and then a straight stitch to go across the bigger square to make the stripes.

And if you are wondering how the fraying will look. Check out my older daughter’s shirt — it has been washed probably 20 times and held up great!!

And, if you don’t sew or don’t have a sewing machine, you could do this and use double-sided fusible interfacing. You can buy that at Hobby Lobby or any fabric store.

Now you have some festive shirts for the Fourth.
And you can take the money you made and spend it on sparklers – lol!
xoxoxo

PS — We have a cute Hometown Parade just up the street for the Fourth with a carnival and then we have a BBQ. What are your plans this Fourth of July?

Comments

1. This is the right web site for anyone who wants to understand this topic.

You understand a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you
    (not that I personally would want to…HaHa). You definitely put a brand new spin on a
    subject that’s been discussed for ages. Great stuff, just wonderful!
    Télécharger Minecraft Gratuitement recently posted…Télécharger Minecraft Gratuitement

2. Hey there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this
    site before but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s new
    to me. Anyhow, I’m definitely glad I found it and I’ll be
    bookmarking and checking back often!
    marilyn denis plastic surgery recently posted…marilyn denis plastic surgery

3. Cathy Williams says:

What an awesome idea! Just think of all the other holidays you could do!

4. Thanks for this July 4th t-shirt idea. I made one and it turned out really cute.

5. Czarina says:
  6. These shirts look great! I really want to make one for each of my girls and myself! Thanks for the inspriation!

7. Kristy.FDD says:

Thank you for the cute idea. I used this picture and idea for our Saturday Craft post. Very cute and fast!! http://www.fabulousdailydeals.com/2011/07/under-construction-saturday-craft.html

8. Thanks for the easy tutorial! I made these for my boys. I just posted about it. http://thehappyscraps.blogspot.com/2011/07/4th-of-july-shirts.html

9. Kristen Duke Photography says:

i like a 10 minute craft!

10. storycrafting says:

Just made one of these with my niece! We had so much fun together! http://storycrafting.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/4th-of-july-tee/

11. Liz @ Sugarplum Creations says:

Thanks so much for sharing these, Jen! I found a couple of cute outfits for Kenners and our newest little Taylor, and Kam already has a dress for the 4th, but I'm still in need of something for Sierra. This might just work! :)

12. Jen-CraftOManiac says:

Great Fabric. I love them. Super cute. I adore that pic. of the cuties laughing…. so sweet. LUV YA, Have a super fun SAFE 4th OF JULY! xo jen

13. ellie g says:

I love those, Jen! I need something simple this year. Weird how I always pick something that takes way too long. :) Tee Hee. It's a sickness. I bet I could stick to something like this. I bet. :) Thanks for the idea. (love the polka dots, by the way)

14. Love this idea! Very cute!

15. Carolyn says:

These are so cute!! I would love it if you could link it up on my "4th July treats" Linky!

16. Brittany says:

What an easy project! My daughter would look so cute in a shirt like this!

17. Nike@ChooseToThrive says:

These are so cute Jen! I love the fun fabrics on your shirts — that turquoise polka dot rocks! Happy 4th!

I love the mix of fabrics! I made shirts just like that for my boys last year using some gingham fabrics:) I also made mine the night before so they only made their appearance on my blog in a Happy 4th post.

Those are so cute, Jen, and I love that they are quick projects! My girls love wearing stuff I've made for them. Might have to see if I can pull this off before Monday. ;)

20. Very cute idea!

21. Desiree @ The 36th Avenue says:

Jen,

I LOVE the fabric choice… so beYOUtiful… so cute!

22. Shanna @ Queen of the Castle(s) says:

How cute are these?!!? I'm DEFINITELY making them for my twins!

23. Michelle @ Loving Every Second says:

Okay, that is brilliant! I'm totally making these for my daughters :) And I posted a link on my FB page!

24. Heather says:

so cute! Perfect. i wish i could sew!

25. melody-mae says:

how adorable! I want to make them for my grandsons!!

26. Christie in Dallas, TX says:

Jen, I LOVE this idea and can't wait to make a few of these shirts! Thanks for sharing!

27. I love those shirts and… what's this? A top 10 commenters list?!? And here I've been, silently stalking and being a bad non-commenter…
    I think I have a new goal… Right after I make those shirts ; )

~Kristin

28. Monica Hoang says:

So stinkin cute and supppper easy!! Thanks for the idea!

29. Resourceful Red says:

very cute!!! may be making myself one :)
    thanks for sharing!!

resourcefulred@gmail.com

30. So cute!!

31. Terri @ A Creative Princess says:

Jennifer, this is exactly why I love you so much! I made the 5 grandkids all shirts and when my husband saw them all, he wondered where the other 6 of them for us the the big kids. I did not want to do 6 more of the ones I made. This is great!! Now everyone will have a shirt!

32. Kelly @ Run With Glitter says:

These are just awesome.. And great for me who has been a slacker on the 4th outfits! :)

33. wayside wanderer says:

These are great. I would so wear this! =)

• Howdy! This post couldn’t be written much better! Going through this article reminds me of my previous roommate! He always kept talking about this. I most certainly will send this information to him. Pretty sure he’s
      going to have a very good read. Thank you for sharing!
      Custom Home Office Design recently posted…Custom Home Office Design

34. So cute! Love the material! I made 5 minute shirts last year. See the flag your pretty girls are holding? Cut it off and hot glue to a tee shirt! Ha! Works for me!

35. Two Shades of Pink says:

Super cute and easy! My favorite kind of project. Thank you for sharing this. :)

36. Randi~Dukes and Duchesses says:

Those are adorable – I love the way they look!

37. So easy! I'm totally going to make myself one!

1. […] And Love It} Firework T-Shirt {Easy Preschool Craft} RicRac Flag Shirt {The Project Corner} Easy 10-Minute Shirts {Tatertots & […]

2. […] These patchwork shirts are super fun and colorful. The creator TaterTots & Jello says they only take 10 minutes to make.  http://tatertotsandjello.com/2011/06/10-minute-4th-of-july-shirts-tutorial.html […]

3. […] 10 Minute 4th of July T-shirts. Making t-shirts on the fly? Well just because they’re last minute doesn’t mean they can’t be Yankee Doodle darling! These t-shirts are a perfect way to use all those leftover scraps of fabric from your last crafting project. […]

4. […] This was one of my favorite projects to make! And it’s so easy too. 10-Minute Fourth of July Shirts […]

5. […] 10-Minute 4th of July Shirts {Tutorial} at Tatertots and Jello […]