Make a Washi Tape Clock {tutorial}!!

One of my favorite Washi Tape projects I have made so far is this fun and whimsical Washi Tape Clock that I made for my craft room. I used a bunch of different Washi Tapes for each of the clock numbers.

Washi Tape Clock Tutorial

Materials:

Cheap Clock {mine is from Target — $4}

Wax paper

Scrapbook paper (I used Lifestyle Craft’s Hello Goodbye paper for the face)

Maker and pencil

Glue dots or hot glue

Scrabble tiles (you can buy an old scrabble game from a thrift store or a “lot” of tiles on etsy)

Resin or Dimensional Magic

Washi Tape (you can also buy Washi Tape through etsy)

Here’s what I did:

• I took the cover off the clock.
  • Then I was hoping I would be able to remove the paper face, but it was glued down. So I used a compass and made a template of the face.
  • Then I traced the template onto my scrapbook paper and cut it out.
  • I laid the wax paper over the face and copied the numbers on the wax paper with marker and then poked holes in the wax paper and marked the paper underneath with pencil. This is how I knew where to put the tiles.
  • Take the scrabble tiles and trace the tile shape onto each Washi Tape pattern. Cut it out and stick it onto the tile.
  • Apply epoxy or Dimensional Magic over the top of the tile and let it dry.( I was in a rush, so I cheated and used these self-adhesive tops that I had left over from a different project. You can use these if you are in a rush or don’t feel comfortable using resin.)
  • Then apply the tiles to the clock face with hot glue.
  • The hands on my clock were too long to get over the tiles, so I had to trim them. I used nail clippers to trim the hands (they were plastic – lol).

I had such a fun time going on our local tv morning show — Studio 5 on Monday. I made about 15 Washi Tape projects. I just can’t get enough of the stuff. It’s addicting!!

More Washi Tape projects coming up.
Here’s a little clip if you want to check it out:

xoxox
Have a wonderful day!!!

Comments

1. Pretty cool looking!! I really liked this idea so I shared it on my fb site Southern Angels Boutique :)

2. Love this project with the washi tape and chevron and gorgeous colors – so creative and fun! Just wanted to let you know I featured it in my roundup of clock re-dos and makeovers here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

3. How do you get the clock cover off?

4. One of my favorite projects :)

I featured you on my blog today, come check it out:

5. This is such a fabulous project – thanks so much fpr letting me feature it over at TipJunkie!
    Lowri

6. marlene says:

thanks got to go buy washi tape
    marlene

7. Infarrantly Creative says:

Holy cow you spent a lot of time preparing for your segment. Beautiful projects Jen! I gave you a thumbs up on Stumble Upon.

8. Theophanie says:

That rocks!

9. I love that clock.Its really nice..Thanks for sharing.
    -clock

10. Mod Podge Amy says:

Jen, this is amazing – and I can't wait to feature. I love it!

11. I love this project, really cute. I featured it on my blog: http://koolbeenz-blog.blogspot.com/2011/06/gallery-of-featured-crafters-3-with.html

Feel free to grab my Featured Button.

12. Jen-CraftOManiac says:

soooooooo darling and colorful and fun. LOVE IT. I think you are the STUDIO 5 GOO-ROO-GIRL! If and When I ever make it on Studio 5 I will feel like I hit the big time. HA! love ya! winks-jen

13. Andrea @ Keepin it Thrifty says:

great video Jen..you did great!!! Love Washi tape…i feel alot of summer projects coming on involving wahi tape!

14. bridget {bake at 350} says:

Loved your clip!!! Thanks for sharing that! You were great and adorable and you always have the most fun ideas!!!

15. Amy @ Living Locurto says:

Fun to see you on TV! Love your ideas:-)

16. Betheny says:

Just saw you today on Studio 5 with this! {T-Vo, ya know}Great ideas! Love the colors. You looked fabulous!

17. Hani@Craftionary says:

Great!! I love the clock.. And the segment with loads of fun projects.. that is so creative. :) You should have your on crafts show on the television.. Have you ever thought about it?
    Love
    Hani

18. lauren@warmandfuzzy says:

This is so cute! I really need to get me some…maybe for one of my to do summer break projects! Thanks for the inspiration ;)

19. Angi @ CokiePop says:

WOWZA…Love this idea. :)

Those tiles are genius, Jen! Such a fun piece…you have such whimsy in your work! :)

21. SO CUTE! Still have never found washi tape!

22. I saw you and the washi tape on Studio 5! Such fun ideas. Thanks for sharing!

23. Lindsay Thompson says:

So very awesome. This is going straight to the top of my project list. Thanks for sharing.
    Lindsay – http://imageandinspiration.blogspot.com/

24. Michelle L. says:

OMGourd! You're a star!!! what a great segment, and you were so natural and fun. Have you done it before? I think you need your own show. Fab projects. Love the clock, esp how it looks against the chevron wall!

25. Love this clock. It's very cute. I just recently started hearing about washi tape and really want to get some.

26. Lulu Lane Designs says:

so cute!!! I've never used Washi tape. Can't wait to see the other projects that you come up with!!!

27. The Blonde Duck says:

I hope you're doing well!

28. I 've never heard of this tape,, turned out beautiful,,

29. Christine says:

Great project! I have seen the future and it includes a tremendous amount of Washi tape! It's terrific stuff to work with…

30. Divalicious says:

Great idea! Thank for sharing :)

31. I have never heard about Washi Tape before, but now I want to get some! The possibilities seem like they could be endless!!! That clock is too adorable!

32. Christine says:

This is really adorable!

33. hannah singer says:

i am a washi tape junkie too!!
    love this clock-i love all of your ideas!

xo

1. […] Full tutorial: tatertotsandjello.com […]

2. […] Tatertots & Jello Make a Washi Tape Clock […]

3. [...] My friend Jen from Tatertots and Jello is totally supporting the washi tape and chevron patterned paper market with her crafting using these two things. I joke, but truly, Jen is amazing with both of these craft supplies. I’m digging this clock that she came up with using both of them AND Dimensional Magic. If you don’t know Jen yet (but I’m pretty sure most of you do), then you need to pay her a visit. Not only is she talented, but she’s one of the nicest bloggers in the whole world. Visit Jen’s washi tape and Dimensional Magic clock tutorial here. [...]

4. [...] Washi Tape Clock (by Tatertots and Jello) [...]

5. C.R.A.F.T. says:

[...] (light fixture from paint sticks), and the many, many applications for washi tape (wall paper, clock, cork board). Here is my second article in print! And here is the whole page she-bang… [...]

6. [...] Jen from tatertots & jello amazes us yet again with this creative Washi tape clock. She used a bunch of different Washi Tapes for each of the clock numbers. The chevron background really helps set off each of the number tiles, and the yellow border makes the whimsical clock stand out from the wall. [How to make a washi tape clock] [...]

7. [...] Jewelry, Chevron Subway Art, Chevron Fabric Pennants, Bunting Canvas, Painted Rug, Button Necklace, Washi Tape Clock, Threaded Necklace, Etched Chevron Pitcher and Glasses, Rosette Necklace, Stenciled [...]