Spring Sweater Refashion #4 {Tutorial}

green sweater header
Welcome to my quest to refashion my wardrobe!
My fourth Spring Sweater Refashion started off as a plain, green sweater from Target.
It hung in my closet without much wear because it was so plain and I wasn’t sure what to wear with it.
straight on
I decided to add some embellishments to one side of it, using some of my fabric scraps from my craft room. This is a 1.5 hour project, just because making the rosette flowers are a little time consuming.
But totally worth it, I think!!
green sweater and fabric

Here’s what you need:
  • Sweater or cardigan
  • 7-8 different coordinating fabrics {I used some fat quarter squares that I had in my fabric stash}
  • Sewing machine
  • Needle and thread
  • Fabric Glue {optional}
Here’s what you do:
green sweater cut fabric
1. Cut your coordinating fabric in 1 inch strips.
green sweater ruffle strips
2. Take two of the fabrics and ruffle it up by sewing a big seam down the center of the fabric. I used 4 feet of 1” strips to make the ruffle on my sweater.
green sweater zig zag
3. Once the strips are ruffles, lay them on one side of the sweater in a zig zag pattern.
green sweater pin the ruffles
4. Pin the ruffles in place. Then sew the ruffles onto the sweater.
green sweater make rosettes
5. Now make some fabric flowers with the other fabric strips. I have a fabric rosette tutorial on how to make fabric flowers if you want to check it out.
I made 9 different flowers in different sizes. To make the flowers different sizes, all you do is use different lengths of fabric strips. The shorter the length of fabric = the smaller the flower.
green sweater weigh down
6. Once your flowers are done, use a needle and thread to attach them to the sweater. I also put some Beacon fabric glueunder the flowers to keep them even more securely in place.

after green and white
7. If you are using fabric glue, you can use some weights like books to press the flowers onto the sweater securely. Note – if you are using fabric glue, be sure that there is some wax paper underneath the sweater so the fabric glue doesn’t seep through the front of the sweater onto the back. I found this out the hard way – lol!
fray check
8. And if you don’t like the frayed look of the unfinished edges, use a product like “Fray Check” on the edges. This will stop the edges from fraying.
closeup green and white
Then you are done!
Enjoy your new, unique sweater!!

This post sponsored by

PS I have a fun Home Decor tutorial coming up tomorrow!

Comments

1. Debbie B says:

I posted this on my blog as a great spring idea! Love it! I have a maternity sweater I might transform. ;)

2. I posted my version from your tutorial (with credit to you) this morning! Thanks for the inspiration! domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

3. Ashley @ Little Miss Momma says:

So beautiful–the colors are stunning and your dimples are adorable! ruffles make me happy, especially teal ones :)

4. I love it!

I have a white cardigan that needs a little something….

5. gorgeous! & you did it with colors i just love :)

6. I LOVE it!! I think this one is my favorite, until I see the next one! lol :)

7. OMG, this is WAY too cute to pass by! I LOVE the rosettes and will need to follow your tutorial to make them. LOVE the cardigan… and these would be great on a dress, t-shirt, or so many other things. AND, for matching stuff for my daughter and I, too! Oh, the list goes on and on! THANK YOU!

I will definitely link back to you when I do mine!
    doreen with http://whereisyourhappyplace.blogspot.com

8. I wear a cardigan every day of my life; I know my friends, family, and students would appreciate me dressing one up thusly. :)

9. This is too cute Jen! Love love love it! Now I just need to learn how to sew. Ha!

Have a wonderful day!

10. CannyCole says:

awesome!!! looove the color and love it on you!!

11. Hani@Craftionary says:

that is such a great idea! the best so far in all your sweater revamps..
    Love
    Hani

12. I think this could be my favorite of your sweater redo's!
    Also, I want that Shoppers Revenge book, 'kay? Thanks.
    ;)

13. reasonstoskipthehousework says:

Jen – another amazing refashion! LOVE it and LOVE you! I'd love you to link this up at my Tuesday Time Out Link party!

Smiles,
    Melanie
    Reasons To Skip The Housework
    Tuesday Time Out Link Up Party

14. reasonstoskipthehousework says:

Smiles,
    Melanie
    Reasons To Skip The Housework
    Tuesday Time Out Link Up Party

15. LOVE IT!!!! Gosh these are all great sweaters!

16. Megan @ Cut the Craft! says:

This is STUNNING! The colors look great with your hair!

Megan

17. Two Dollars says:

I like the embellishments and the stick figures
    -Stefanie
    2ndChanceCreations.etsy.com

18. Sarah's Salvages says:

SO cute! I want to try it!!

19. Michelle @ Loving Every Second says:

How cute! What a fun an unique sweater! I love making things myself because I know no one else will have one just like me :)

20. I♥naptime w/ Chocolate Sundaes says:

LOVE this!! So so cute!! I wish it was cold enough to wear sweaters in AZ so I could make this. Maybe I'll do a short sleeve cardigan..

21. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} says:

Adorable! I love the zig zag ruffles and all of the rosettes. Not to mention the colors! Very summery and fun!

22. Stevie @ MooreBabies says:

That is awesome. I am not good at seeing "what can be" out of something. It's a curse :)

23. Elder Family says:

Your sweater refashions are wonderful – someday I will be brave enough to try one of my own. Great work and thanks for sharing!

24. Jen-CraftOManiac says:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE! my fav. You are so talented and you can do it all woman. LOVE YA, have a good night. XO jen

25. So cute, I just love the colors too!

26. Angie@Echoes of Laughter says:

Really gorgeous design Jenn! It looks positively gorgeous on you too! Angie xo

27. I love it!!! And you look great in it :)

28. julee.patterson says:

I heart her on Etsy. :)

29. Garsh that is cute. ;)

30. That is so dang cute! I have some tees waiting for a refashion. I think this will look so cute!

31. wow-gorgeous! amazing job-love the ruffle, the flowers and the colors-all look great together! what a difference!

Gorgeous refashion, Jen! I think you could make a paper bag look nice on you, but it the color is very pretty on you. ;) Love the ruffles paired with the rosettes! :)

PS. Is "The Secret Shopper's Revenge" any good??

33. Jayna Rae says:

That is super cute!!! Great work.

34. Super cute! I'm going to try something like this out on a zipper hoodie!

35. Ashley @ Life Is Beautiful says:

I love this! I was just looking at some old cardigans the other morning thinking they needed a little somethin' somethin'! Now I know!

-Many Smiles!

36. Nancy's Couture says:

I think this is my favorite!!!!

37. I love it!! The colors are adorable!

38. Adorable. The colours are so pretty and spring like.

39. ❀❀❀Ðαωᾔ❀❀❀ says:

Sweater looks great, and fits you so nicely. Great color on you it suits your hair color fabulously. Can't wait to see another refashion:)

40. JustMeInTennessee says:

That is so adorable and fun! I need to take a look in my mess, I mean closet and see what I can do a makeover on. Thanks for sharing your awesome ideas :)

41. julee.patterson says:

So cute! I have that same sweater…great idea.

42. Oooh! I love this one, Jen! I especially love the colors you used. These refashions are so inspiring. Keep 'em coming! :)

43. Wow, love this! One question–how do you launder it?

44. Andrea @ Keepin it Thrifty says:

LOVE IT JEN!!!! you rock!!

XOXO Andrea

45. trophyw.blogspot.com says:

very chic

46. dang that is so cute. I need to get me some of your skills.

1. […] This is a simple one and great to do if your winters tend to last far too long and you have cold springs. Add some springy flowers to a cardigan! There are tons of tutorials like this but here’s a cute one from Tatertots and Jello. […]

2. […] DIY project and photos credit to tatertotsandjello.com […]