Super Sized Valentine Subway Art!!

love closeup

by the dresser

Here’s what I’ve been working on for the past week or so.

I’m so excited to show it to you!

pick a board

It started off as a board that’s been sitting in my garage.
I used a smaller board in the Fall for my Halloween Subway Art,
header

but decided to go even bigger for Valentine’s Day.

Then last week I went out to lunch with one of my BFF’s Shelley from House of Smiths. We had such a great time. Eating, then shopping. We even ran into another blogging friend – Kirsten!

6th Street Design School

We found a beautiful rug for her living room and I told Shelley about my subway art project. She invited me to come over and design it in her super fabulous vinyl program and helped me print it out! Shelley designed this awesome background and I did the lettering. It was a fun collaboration.

And then at the end of the night we rocked out in her car to this song.

So much fun!!!

{me with her rug}
The next day I painted the board gray and then applied the background vinyl.
 paint the board
I also had some left over molding in my garage, so I cut it to size and glued it onto the board.
add some molding
molding
stencil
apply vinyl top
 Then I painted over the vinyl with a metallic paint.
paint the stencil
 Once that was dry, I peeled off the design and was left with this gorgeous pattern!! Love it!!
before the vinyl
I had to bring it over to Shelley’s so she could see it before I put the vinyl on! And we hung it up over at her house – we were so excited to see it all done!!!
the background
stain
 paint the small board
  Then I applied the vinyl. And painted the middle board with the “love” on it. I love how it stands out!! I applied the “love” board with 3M removeable adhesive strips.
2m backing
apply vinyl
on the wall at shelleys
from the top
I love it so much that I think I’m going to make another that I can keep out all year.
by the fireplace
You can make one for yourself using your Silhouette, or if you want to save some time and frustration, Shelley is going to be selling the vinyl for this project in her Wonderfully Wordy shop.  And all you would need to do is paint your board and put the vinyl on.
closeup in the bedroom
in the hall
close up
love closeup

{Happy Valentine’s Day}

I’m linking to these super fun parties — be sure to check them out!!

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite SpecialUndertheTableandDreamingAll Thingz Related giveawaysLife as LoriThe Trendy TreehouseThe DIY Show OffTidy Mom I'm Lovin It FridaysBCD 125

Comments

1. Kayla Phipps says:

Super cute! I was wondering if you could share the name of the love font? I’ve been looking for a font like this for a pillow on my front porch. Thanks!

2. Stephanie S. says:

Holy Mackrel-This is fab and wish I had the long vinyl. Now to head over to her shop and see what she has cooking. Thanks for sharing and love it.

3. I, too, have been searching everywhere for the name of the LOVE font. Everything I’ve got is so intricate, I’m afraid to use it with vinyl…

4. i LOVE this. do you happen to have a tutorial on making a stencil this large? i cannot for the life of me figure out how to get silhouette to cut anything but the mat size.

i know. lame

5. Oh my gosh Jen, this is fabulous! I just got a Cameo for Christmas and I am so excited to do my first vinyl project {planning on doing an MLK subway art} and after that this Valentine’s one would be perfect! Thanks for sharing so many great ideas!

6. This is absolutely darling!
    What font did you use for the LOVE?

• That is fabulous! So want to try to make one! Would you mind telling me what font you used for the LOVE?

7. reasonstoskipthehousework says:

I am sooo in love with this subway art! I have such jealousy over your Silhouette machine. Someday I'll be lucky enough to own one! I featured your tutorial on my blog because I just can't get enough of its cuteness! LOVE IT!
    Smiles,
    Melanie

8. WOW!! That is so amazing. I love the impact it has. It wouldbe super cute to have something like that up all the time.

9. Jen-CraftOManiac says:

HEY CUTENESS-

you have been FEATURED AT CraftOManiac. Thanks & winks-jen

10. AllieMakes! says:

Oh. My. Word. That is SUPER FABULOUS!!! It is beautiful!
    You should come link this up to my weekly Thursday through Sunday Making It With Allie Link Party! I think it would make a Fabulous addition!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

11. MoGo LOVES it! Thanks you for sharing it with us!

12. turned out really cute!

13. Your new piece turned out lovely Jen! I am just loving the stencil in the background…You definitely need to make another one that you can leave out all year – too cute!

14. Amy of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie says:

L.O.V.E. it!

15. Christine Edwards says:

Fantastic job…love it!

16. It's so beautiful. I absolutely love it. Wish I had someone to make it for. :)

17. Hani@Craftionary says:

WOW! Jen.. this is fantastic.. amazing.. awesome.. outrageous and beyond words wonderful…
    Love It!
    Hani

18. Ashley @ Little Miss Momma says:

This is BREATHTAKING! Oh my! I want one! You could sell this for hundreds of dollars!

You are a crafting goddess!

19. I am so in love with this… I featured you on my blog. I hope you can stop by!

20. bridget {bake at 350} says:

Jen….could you and your projects BE any cuter?!? I think not! Adorable!

21. How fun! That looks great Jen!! Love it :)

22. I'm Not a Trophy Wife says:

Love this! I've been following you since October, but found this post through House of Smiths. I need to stop surfing the blogs and get going on some projects. My new drill is still sitting on my counter. It scares me. laura

23. Super impressive!

24. Amy @ Living Locurto says:

You're amazing! This is great:-)

25. Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top says:

I love it, Jen!!!! It's so cute!!! I really love the added touch of the molding and the LOVE board. It's so fun that you and Shelley got to work on it together. :)

26. This is adorable! LOVE LOVE LOVE!
    You are so creative!

27. Holy Cats!!! It is ADORABLE! Truly swoon-worthy. (Like any good Valentine should be…right?)

28. I love it! It turned out fabulous! So gorgeous and valentine-y!

29. Lisa from Craftified! says:

This is gorgeous! I love it, and the stencil background is awesome! I have yet to make subway art but I love it all!

30. Kristen Andrews says:

wow that is amazing I love it!

31. Davina Jaggard says:

This is sooo cute! Love it!

32. Stylish Blogger Award…recieve award at

Thanks you…your'e amazing!!

:) Tiffani

33. Good Time Charlie says:

That is adorable!!!!!! Made my day even happier. Thank you as always for sharing. -K

34. Wow! I really like the addition of the mouldings!

35. LUCKY 7 DESIGN says:

Such an awesome project…I love that its made from a simple wood board. Great detail with the stenciling. Great piece…I think I want one for every holiday. Such great impact piece! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Jen that is awesome! I love the background and the moldings!

37. Bellenza Wedding Bistro says:

The comments above have said it all…this project is truly phenomenal! The interplay of fonts, the muted colors, the texture all came together perfectly. Am picturing this as a fantastic wedding or bridal shower signage, too!

38. kami @ nobiggie.net says:

I absolutely LOVE IT, Jen! You have just elevated the whole subway art to a new level.

So fun!

39. roxybonds says:

WOW!!! That turned out awesome! Love it :)

40. James and Summer says:

love it!

41. B's Mommy says:

I would like to purchase it please…. :) The board is darling! Beautiful job!!

42. House of Smiths says:

I STILL love it, so much! :)
    Thanks for letting me work on it with you!
    You're one crafty lady, and I just love me some more home decor…

"WHEN OUR POWERS COMBINE…"

haha!
    ~Shell

43. It's darling! I've been looking for the name of your "LOVE" font and can't find it….will you share? Please?

thanks

44. Free Pretty Things For You says:

Oh My Gosh Jen!! this is
    AMAZING!!! 😀 !!!

45. Michelle (www.thereallifemom.blogspot.com) says:

It turned out amazing! I was wondering what you were going to do with that huge board! Great job!

46. Absolutely gorgeous! I love, love, LOVE it!

47. Wow, Jen this is FABULOUS!!! Love the molding!! It's incredible!

48. I LOVE this! I can't wait to see what you come up with to have hung all year long. Please share soon!!! I know I will want to make one!

49. Creative Flair says:

Love it! I need an everyday one for my entryway!

50. Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com says:

Jen!! You are the queen of fantastic holiday decor!! I love this subway art – the background and molding are great – the whole thing is so cute!!

51. Kassi @ Truly Lovely says:

OH I love this!!! How lucky are you to have Shelley right there!!! The colors you used work so perfect together!!!

52. I LOVE IT! Super FABULOUS! You are a goddess! And Shelley too!

53. I LOVE IT! Super FABULOUS! You are a goddess! And Shelley too!

54. I LOVE IT! Super FABULOUS! You are a goddess! And Shelley too!

55. lauren@warmandfuzzy says:

wow…i am in awe of your craftiness and use of space, I always think I have no space left to hang things, you found the perfect spot for that.LOVE IT!

56. This is ahhhhmazing!! I love the stenciled background and the molding! Awesome touches!

Jeana
    inplaceofhercrown.blogspot.com

57. Heidi@TheCraftMonkey says:

WOW that sucker is HUGE! Love it, and especially love the background!

58. Jayna Rae says:

Amazingly cute! Where do you store these larger projects when they aren't up?

59. That is AWESOME! Great job, Jen!! :)

PS I have a project up today that you might like!

60. This is absolutely beautiful Jen!! I love the background it gives it such a classy look!
    Melissa

61. stamphappy2001 says:

Totally can see why you were excited about this project and want to make another one. It is amazing. I need to go create. :)

62. That is AMAZING!!! I absolutely love it!!!

63. staci @ lizard n ladybug says:

looks amazing!!
    Thanks for showing the step-by-step too!!

Awesome job!

64. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} says:

LOVE this, Jen! I couldn't figure out for the life of me what you were going to make with that long board. I should have know! I love that you are making your subway art 3-D. It makes it so interesting!

65. Christensen Quandary says:

Love it! question…did you do the stencil and the words in one sheet of vinyl all on your silhouette? please share!!! foresam@gmail.com

66. JC's Loft says:

LOVE that patterned stencil you used! This was such a fun and creative idea : )

Looks like you girls had fun shopping
    !

Paula

67. Gorgeous! I love the molding and the pink LOVE, they really make the board stand out. Of course, it woudl take me a year to finsih a project like this, you whip it up in a few days?! AUGH, no fair! :)

68. Laurel @ Ducks in a Row says:

This turned out so great – I really love it!

69. Absolutely fabulous as always!

70. No doubt about it…this ranks as one of my all-time favorites! Of course, how many times have I said that? Everything you create is a favorite of mine!

71. Nike@ChooseToThrive says:

*Swoon* This is amazing and I LOVE the background! Can't wait to see one to for next season!

72. ~R a c h e l~ says:

I L O V E this! I H A V E to make this! I really need to get a Silhouette!! How amazing!! Fun! Thanks for all of the amazing ideas!!

73. eeeekkkkk I LOVE it!!!!!! It looks super cute in Shelley's house too!!! I think she needs to make one for the wall where it was hanging.

74. super super cute!! Love it!I think that you should make one that you keep out all year. What a fun gift idea as well. Looks like Shelley needs to make one as well. It fit perfectly on her wall!! Great collaboration!!

75. It's beautiful! How awesome of her to help you with the vinyl!

76. Kari @ Ucreate says:

This seriously looks like it would be a blast to make!! Love the modling on the top and bottom!!

77. LOVE.

78. That turned out AMAZING! I absolutely love it :)

79. Emily@SENSELESSsophistication says:

That is absolutely gorgeous!!! The molding is beautiful!!!!

80. I LOVE that she is selling the vinyl for this project in her etsy shop! Now anyone can do this!!!
    Great job!!!

81. Mormishmom says:

Wow! It it awesome! I love the POP of the Love board.

82. Jen-CraftOManiac says:

I NEW IT! WINKS! love it! Love the design and colors, fab. job as always! xo jen

83. Dear Jen's new board project,

I love your gray background, moulding and metallic painted pattern. Most people stop and look at your outside, the pretty words. But I see your inside your "core". And that's what I love about you. It's clearly a deeper love.

And so dear Valentine board, if you find that people aren't truly understanding the real you. You can come to my house. Where we will love you. And stare at you. And softly whisper compliments to you.

If you need me….you know where I am….

With love,
    Lara

84. I am totally loving this idea!

85. AndreaLeigh says:

I was wondering what your plans were for this board! It turned out so cute. I love the pop of color from the pink. Great job!

86. how FEAKIN amazing is this!!!

87. Ali Rockwell says:

This is so cute! How in the world do you make such a long sheet of vinyl/stenciling like that??? It seems crazy to me :)

88. It looks WONDERFUL!! THe background pattern is just gorgeous, great great job!! Bravo!

Erin

89. That board is great! Big impact, interesting design, you did a great job!

90. That turned out beautiful. I love the molding on top. It's the perfect touch. The stenciled background really makes the piece. You always have such beautiful ideas.

91. Jen-
    This is sooo stinkin' cute!!! I love it! Love the molding, love the stencil, love the vinyl! GORGEOUS!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

92. wow – this is amazing! really goes well in that room you have it in too! I LOVE the love board that is 3D – really brilliant.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Lindsay

93. Infarrantly Creative says:

Can I tell you how insanely jealous I am that you guys get to craft together? Seems almost unfair to me when I am thousands of miles away. I think you one upped yourself with this one. The moulding and dimension is just perfect!

94. Wendy@project-create.blogspot.com says:

This is exceptional!! I love the pop up love and the molding just sets it off perfect! Your mind is too creative!

95. It's so cool, Jen. I love it, as I do so many of the vinyl projects. The same as every other crafter, I have been wanting a Silhouette, BUT… having never seen one in person, I've been wondering about the waste. If you decided to do one {little} design, do you end up wasting a whole piece of vinyl? I can just picture myself being so skimpy with the materials that I would end up not using it as much as my OCD, design mind would want. Do you ever run into that problem?

96. Jensamom23 says:

Love it!

97. It's beautiful! You never cease to amaze me. I really love the addition of the molding!

98. Carrie @ Dittle Dattle says:

Love how it turned out! Yes, do one that you can leave out year round because this is fabulous 😀

99. Amy @ Positively Splendid says:

Jen, this is terrific! I love everything about it!

100. WOW! That is amazing! It looks great in the spot-it's perfect!

101. Amber @ The Mom Road says:

That is a great idea! I loved how it turned out. I may be making one of those soon :)

102. That turned out AWESOME!!……today I'm looking for a spot in my house!

Just plain beautiful, Jen! I was wondering what you'd come up with for that board. You and Shelley did a great job. I love the gorgeous pattern and the mix of fonts. The molding is the perfect touch. Great job!!

104. Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants says:

Jen you sure showed that plain piece of board who is boss! This is A MAZE ING! Can you imagine what the would sell for? I think the molding, stencil and Love board bring it up about 10 notches! Fantastic idea, I just love it, can you tell???? Hmmm Silouhette machine get your engines running I see a project in your future!

105. I think I'm in love! All of the different typography is so swoony!

106. Admitted Fabricaholic says:

Very clever and cute! Love the hand painted middle LOVE embellishment. Adds a touch of whimsy :)

107. cleverlyinspired says:

Love it Jen!!!! So sweet!!

108. This is gorgeous!

109. Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures/Treasured Moments says:

I love big board signs. Using it vertically is a really cool idea. Looks so professional.

110. Kristi Hoskins Gifts says:

This is so awesome! Thank you for sharing this because I have tons of random boards in my garage that I now I ideas for. Love it :)

111. Blessed Mommy of 2 says:

Oh my gosh! THat is 2 stinkin' cute! Love everything about it…the stencil, the colors, all of it! =)

112. Just awesome. That board ROCKS! Way to go!

113. Very COOL!!!

114. Attempting Aloha says:

Oh, wow!! This is amazing! Love the "love". That really makes it!

Aloha!
    charlie

115. Michelleesque says:

Absolutely GORGEOUS! I have no other words than that!

116. This is amazing, love it! Thanks for sharing

117. Jen, out of all the things you have made, that is the one I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the mostest of all!! You are sooooo clever!! xxoo

118. WOW,that board turned out awesome!!!!
    I've been dying to find out what you were doing with it. The molding at the top really caught me, but I love the stenciling you did also.

1. […] (here I am with my Giant Valentine Board) […]

2. […] decor is one of my favorites! Valentine’s Vignette from House of Smiths   Supersized Valentine’s Subway art from Tatertots and Jello   Valentine’s Day Countdown from Infarrantly Creative   Crepe Paper Topiary Tree […]

3. […] Advent Ladder 2. Christmas Stenciled Sign 3. Valentine Jumbo Subway Art (yeah, I sneaked a Valentine project […]

4. […] few other projects together in the past — our Chevron Rugs, she was so helpful when I made my Giant Valentine’s Subway Art and there’s another BIG project that she helped me with in my bedroom reveal. I can’t […]

5. […] This DIY on-trend transit sign calls out loving wishes instead of subway stops. (Tatertots & Jello) […]

6. […] project was an inspiration from Tater tots & Jello  Now I absolutely love love Jen’s but I wanted to have some color to mine and wowza I think […]

7. […] tatertotsandjello.com via Deon on […]

8. […] tatertotsandjello.com via Deon on […]

9. […] 1. Christmas Advent Ladder, 2. Christmas Stenciled Sign, 3. Valentine Jumbo Subway Art […]