Simple Sewing Project – Ruffle Pillows!!

Is it weird that I made pillow covers to match my Ruffle Trees?
{Yes, I did. I may have an obsession with Amy Butler fabric, just saying!}
I made these pillow covers in about an hour – seriously.
This is a fun way to change up the look of your room.

If you want to make some — they are simple and require only straight stitches:

• First measure your pillow forms. Add 1 inch to each side for the front. Then take the front and add 8 inches to the length and cut it in half. This way there will a 4 inch overlap to hold the pillow in.
  • Then make your ruffles. Double the width of your pillow to get a length for the ruffle. I made my ruffles 5 inches wide. Then cut the ruffle out — my ruffles were 5 inches wide and 32 inches long.
  • Now fold the fabric over so the right side of the fabric is facing in. Pin the fabric and sew a straight line all the way down. Now you have a long tube of material. Turn the material right side out.
  • The next thing is put the seam at the bottom and sew a stitch (using your biggest stitch setting) all the way down the fabric tube. Do not backstitch. Ruffle up the fabric by pulling on one of the strings. Set aside.
  • Do this with however many ruffles you want. I put one ruffle on some pillows, and a couple ruffles on others. But you could also make some pillows completely filled with ruffles – it’s up to you!
  • Once the ruffles are done, pin them on the front of the pillows where you want them to be. Then sew the ruffles on the pillows fronts.
  • Now you will need to hem the edges of the pillow backs. I turned the seams over twice so there would be no fraying.
  • Then pin the front and backs of the pillows together. Remember to put the right side inside of the pillows.
  • Sew the pillow together. When you are finished, turn the pillow right side out. Push the edges out with a pencil or something small. Then iron the pillow flat.
  • Now this is a good trick to make the pillow form keep it’s shape. When the pillow is right side out, sew a very small seam all the way around the pillow cover. I made mine about 1/8 of an inch in width. This makes the pillow sit up straight and makes it so you don’t see the back of the pillow from the front.
  • I also forgot to mention that I used the coordinating fabric from the pillow for each pillow’s back material. So ruffles on the front match the back of the pillow.
  • And don’t worry — if you mess up the back of the pillow. You can always improvise to make it work. One of my pillows didn’t overlap enough so I had to sew some ribbon on the back to tie so the pillow would stay in the cover! LOL

I love these pillows – they brighten up my family room on a cold Winter Day!!!
PS It’s almost Christmas, you are probably right in the middle of wrapping presents. I’m over at Tip Junkie today — sharing my favorite Gift Wrapping Ideas!!!
Come over and find some ways to spice up your Christmas packages.
Homemade Christmas Ideas

I am linking to these lovely parties:

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite SpecialUndertheTableandDreamingAll Thingz Related giveawaysLife as LoriThe Trendy TreehouseThe DIY Show OffTidy Mom I'm Lovin It FridaysBCD 125

Comments

1. Angie Henegar says:

I love, love, LOVE these pillows! I’ve just added a pop of color to my dining room by painting the walls Sherwin Williams “Lagoon.” Of course, now the color is migrating into my great room as well. Can’t wait to try making some pillows! I’m a novice seamstress but I think I can handle these. Thanks for the continued inspiration!

2. These pillows are SO PRETTY!! Love them!!! Very, very beautiful job!

3. I love these pillows! They remind me of floor pillows I made for my girls.

4. They look great. Amy Butler fabric is just awesome.

5. maleahbliss says:

I love these pillows!! Those fabrics are AWESOME!!! They really pop. Where'd you get them? :)

I'd love it if you'd link them up to my new linky party!

6. Shelley Haganman says:

THose trees are incredible! I am SO going to make those next year! The pillowa are fabulous as well!

7. The Brazen Skirt says:

Those ruffle trees would look cute on bed posts!

8. oh my – gorgeous! what is the name of the pattern with the light blue background and white vines with green leaves? is it retired?

9. These are gorgeous Jen! I too have an obsession with Amy Butler fabric!! But I can't bring myself to cut most of it, I just like to fold it up pretty and look at it on my shelf! LOL!!
    Melissa

10. Ali Rockwell says:

These are so amazingly cute!!! I love each and every one of them!

11. PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

They are beautiful! I am so jealous of your talent!

12. the Lola Letters says:

Love this!

{I think I have a bit of an Amy Butler obsession myself.}

13. I don't blame you, love how the fabrics look together! Fabulous as always, Jen!

Seriously adorable! I love all the fabrics! I still haven't mastered ruffles yet, but I did ask for a ruffle foot for my sewing machine for Christmas….maybe that will make ruffles easier for me:)

15. The Painted Cottage says:

CUTIE pillows! We <3 ruffles! Thanks for sharing! :)

16. EmilyLauren says:

These are too cute! I love how you mixed the different fabrics…can't wait to whip some of these bad boys up!

17. Kristan Anne says:

Who looks at the back of a pillow anyways? 😉

I really like this idea, and maybe I'll make one or two for my big master bedroom re-do – if I can ever find the right fabric.

18. Admitted Fabricaholic says:

talk about some great fabric!!! Love the bright colors and how they all compliment each other. Really makes the eye pop!

19. I love the patterns!

20. what a great mix of all the patterns! they can't help but make you smile…

21. Blessed Mommy of 2 says:

Gorgeous! Thanks for the tutorial =)

22. Just wanted to let you know that I shared this on my blog's, A Glimpse Inside, FB page!

23. Jen, these are absolutely fabulous!! I have been desperate to figure out what to do with my couch pillows lately… we need a new look since we just moved. LOVE this idea!!!

24. Love anything ruffles!!! YAY! So cute!

25. Perfect timing!!!! One of my first projects in January is to recover my pillows in the den.

26. How cute!! I love anything with ruffles (: You're so talented!

27. Those are just beautiful! I love the blue and green one. Thanks so much for sharing this. I'm going to have to try it out.

28. Weird?? Oh no, my dear. Perfection? Yes! These are amazing, and another example of your superb fabric mixing abilities! You always pick things that make me think. And I always love it. The trees are fantastic, the pillows are fantastic, and you are fantastic. I hope you have an amazing Christmas. You're my favorite!

29. You're not weird -You're FABULOUS. I think Amy is right- they could easily be year round decor.

30. dancin' momma says:

So cute! I can't wait to try these! (After I finish my Christmas to-do list of course). :)

31. Liz @ Sugarplum Creations says:

I don't think it's weird at ALL that you made pillows to match your trees. But that could have something to do with the fact that I, too, have an obsession with Amy Butler fabric 😉

Hope you're enjoying these last few days before Christmas!

32. I love that these fabrics aren't super seasonal and you could use the trees as well as the pillows year round. They're gorgeous and deserve to be on display for a good long time!
    xoxo,
    Amy

33. Adorable!!
    Amy Butler fabric is the best! :)

34. Madigan at madiganmade says:

I do not think it is weird to make them to match. And I totally understand the obession with Amy Butler. 😉
    Simply adorable!

35. amanda.west says:

I love these pillows! Your cute pillows and ruffle projects make me wish I had asked Santa for a sewing machine! 😉 Merry Christmas, Jen!

Is it weird that I don't think it's weird that you matched the pillows to the trees? 😉 😉 I think they look fabulous. Love that pretty, fun fabric. Matches your personality!

37. Michelle-esque says:

This is gorgeous! Love the idea! Thanks for sharing! :)

38. Laura @ Ms Smartie Pants says:

I love these fabrics. What is the designer or name of them? Cuuuuteeeee pillows!

39. Michelle (www.thereallifemom.blogspot.com) says:

So cute! I just love the fabric….all the beautiful colors! Swoon!

40. your tutorials are always so lovely. :)gina

41. .ashleykaitlin. says:

Love love love this!!!! Thanks for the detailed tutorial! Your pillows turned out super cute! Great job!!

42. Oh, I wish I knew how to sew! These are so cute.

43. Jen, it isn't weird that you made pillows to match the trees… but I do think that it is further support for my theory that you have a clone or that you are a robot. Good Lawd! Hoe DO you find the time. Seriously.

(They're adorable, btw.)

44. Looking forward to trying this! I especially like the burlap one.

1. […] Streamers from Dana Made It  Ruffled Pillows from Tatertots and Jello Ruffles and Burlap Ottoman from burlap+blue Ruffled Rosette Pillow from The Sweet Life Ruffled […]