How to Install Decorative Doorknobs {Kitchen Sneak Peek}!!

I love my aqua-ish door, but I wanted a really cool doorknob to jazz it up a little.

I looked at every hardware store and all I could find was Oil Rubbed Bronze, Nickle, Chrome or the ever-popular Brass {which I have all over my house}. I really wanted a crystal or ceramic knob. And I did find some crystal knobs but at over $100 per set, they were a little out of my price range.

Then the other day I was at Hobby Lobby and they had all of their knobs half off. I found a glass knob with an antique brass finish. It wasn’t exactly what I was looking for, but I liked the shape of the knob and the fact that it was glass. Plus, it ended up being about $10.

I have bought a few decorative knobs like this and they are not made to fit modern doors. It takes a little figuring out how to make these knobs work on a basic door. So I thought I’d share what I do to make them work on my doors.

1. The first thing I did was I sprayed my knob with a metallic spray paint. I think it modernizes the knob a little and I like the way the silver makes the glass pop.
  2. A really nifty trick I heard about was wrapping the knob in tin foil. And it works great. Much easier than taping it all off.
  3. All sprayed.
  4. Once it was sprayed. I had to swap out the middle door knob spindle because the one that came with the knob was square, and my doors all have a circular mechanism.
  5. I also had to use a hacksaw to trim the ends of the spindle so that it was the right length.

The last thing I did was I found some long screws that fit inside of the holes on the side of the doorknob and go all the way through the outer doorknob casing, through the holes in the mechanism and then out the thread into the other side of the door knob. This holds the doorknob in place. I have tried attaching the door knob without these screws and eventually all of the door turning causes the doorknob to fall off.

Another thing that I did was I added some hooks to the back of my pantry door and attached a shoe organizer to it. It’s a great place to keep things like salt and pepper shakers, spices and things that the kids need to get out. That way they are not climbing all over the pantry shelves trying to find things.

And I was looking for a small frame to make a chalkboard and attach it to the outside of the door, when I discovered this FAB mirror turned chalkboard. My friend Sausha from Show and Tell had it for sale, so I snatched it up! {she has an awesome blog — and she’s going to be on the Nate Show!!}

I was hoping it would fit on the outside of my door, but it’s so big that I decided to hang it to the side of the door. I love having a chalkboard because it’s where we keep track of who is cooking which night of the week and what they are making — we use the  Food Nanny system.

And check out these cute little turquoise knobs I found to go above my desk in the kitchen! I love them. I found them at Anthropologie.

1. Create a Kitchen Focal Point– with beadboard
  2. Stenciled Pillows
  3. Stenciled Faux Roman Shades
  4. Island {haven’t blogged about that yet}
I am getting close to having the kitchen ready for the big reveal!
Only a few more projects to go!! Here’s a little taste of what it looks like so far!

Have a SUPER Day!!!
xoxox

PPS – I am linking up to these fun parties – check them out!

The DIY Show OffBCD 125UndertheTableandDreaminggiveawaysTidy Mom I'm Lovin It Fridays

Plus, have you seen this great promotion from The Creative Connection? Check out the Creative Connection blog to find out more!
And, I’m sharing 25 AWESOME DIY projects using Embroidery Hoops today over at The New Home Ec. You will be amazed at all of the projects you can make with these simple items!!

Comments

1. Stephanie Wheeler says:

Did you reveal the color of your aqua door, I have been looking for a color like that:)

2. I LOVE your kitchen!!! Can you please share the brand and name of the blue paint color on your island? It appears lighter than the turquoise door…right?? Love that chalkboard too! Thank you!!!!1

3. Love so much!! I don’t see where the color of the door was ever said?! It’s beautiful!

4. Jennifer says:

Wow, this is so beautiful! I’ve been trying to talk my hubby into getting our oak cabinets painted. I’ll have to show him this reveal! What color did you use for the aqua door? I”m looking for a similar color for my girls craft room. thanks!

5. Hi! Was wondering if you had advice on how to install Anthropologie knobs in drawers since the screw is pretty long…?

6. Love how you made your pantry door more unique with the paint and knob. You have my wheels turning!

7. Kathy robertson says:

Just checking back to see if you revealed the color and brand of your lovely pantry door. Did I miss it? I didn’t see it and I’d love to know! Thank you so so much in advance! I will bake you my famous brownies if I can have it!

8. Love, love, love your kitchen! I’m begging you……PLEASE tell me the colors you used on your pantry door and island!

9. Wanted to add that my previous post is directed to polkadotsandbows, since she was so nice to point out your Anthropologie misspelling. And yes, I am being sarcastic.

Jen, your kitchen is beautiful. Love the doorknob and the chalkboard and also the turquoise door color – gorgeous!

10. Nit pick – it’s “anyway”, not “anyways”.

11. Kelly MacGregor says:

Lovity love love love it! Except, much as I LOVE polka dots (and being a mom of two boys I NEVER get enough polka dots around here…) I would use a clear shoe hanger – I would always be forgetting what I put in which pocket…

12. I am in love with the blue pantry door. The accent just makes the kitchen smile! I can’t wait to see the big reveal. We just bought a new home that has unfortunately new cabinets….that I’d never have chosen. I keep dreaming of ways to alter them. So I look forward to seeing your final transformation for inspiration!

13. Tanya Anurag says:

Beautiful kitchen.

14. You have a true art. Have you learnt home designing some where or the feature is God gifted.
    -knife block set

15. Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants says:

Jen, your kitchen is looking great! I decorated my niece's kitchen in that color scheme earlier this year, check it out. http://ms-smartie-pants.blogspot.com/2011/01/kitchen-reveal.html I can't wait to see the rest of yours!

16. Michele Alger says:

That just makes me wish YET AGAIN that we had a Hobby Lobby near us! I've never been inside a Hobby Lobby, but it is all over the place what people get there at fantastic deals. I was just looking for a glass knob 2 days ago at a couple different craft stores in our area with NO LUCK. I guess I'll just appreciate your happy finds—Your kitchen's beautiful and makes me look forward to redecorating mine! ;)

17. polkadotsandbows says:

Nit pick- Anthropology, the store is spelled "Anthropologie"
    Anyways your kitchen is super cute! :)

18. Jazzy Cazy says:

What is the color you used for the tiffany Blue door? It's so pretty! Thanks!

xjcx

19. Lavender and Lemon Drops says:

errrr so your the one that snagged up that cream chalkboard ;) I LOVE Sausha's work she's amazing. She staged a room for me in the Parade Home that I decorated! Your doorknob totally completes that door! LOVE it and I can't wait to see your kitchen!

20. Amy {The Idea Room} says:

Love how great everything is coming together. You are so talented and creative and your kitchen totally showcases that! Love it!

21. Loving the glass door knob!! Its beautiful! And your kitchen sneek peek photos are DREAMY!! Love all of the aqua & white! Can't wait to see the big reveal!

22. So lovely and peaceful! Who wouldn't want to cook in that kitchen!?! I really need to convince the hubby to paint our perfectly good cabinets white!

23. Donna, The Decorated House says:

Your kitchen is wonderful! Love the chalkboard. It's a great addition as are the cute knobs.

24. Christina says:

I am IN LOOOOOVE with this!
    Looks amazing!
    xo

25. All these sneak peaks are so taunting! I love them and I am dying to see the whole enchilada. I know where you live so maybe I will just show up on your door step since the suspense is killing me ;)

26. I LOVE your kitchen!! the door knob is genius! =)

27. CUTE!!!

28. laxsupermom says:

So pretty! I love that little shot of bling on your aqua door! So much better than the brass one. Thanks for sharing!

29. Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com says:

I wanted to answer a couple of the questions in comments too – The Anthropology knobs did have really long posts and I used a hacksaw to trim those down.

And I bought the door handle spindles online from Amazon from a shop called House of Antique Hardware. They came in a box of 5 and ended up being about $3 each.

Thanks!!

30. lovemyelement says:

Looks fantastic! Did your doorknob come with the different spindles or did you buy them somewhere else? I am still working on changing out one of mine. I love the colors and the chalk board. Thanks for sharing.

31. Liz and the girls at M&M Monogramming says:

I love the door color! So fun and the perfect compliment to the stainless appliances!

32. {darlene} says:

neglected to actually comment on your post: I wanted to say: I LOVE old fashioned style doorknobs. amazing how they add character.
    - {darlene}
    fieldstonehilldesign.com

33. {darlene} says:

um. so apparently I have been living under a rock. But it is officially nice to meet you. Following you here and at twitter :)
    I would love if you stopped by Fieldstone Hill Design {and like everyone, followers make me strangely giddy :)}. Maybe we will meet at Haven or Relevant.
    anywho. nice to meet you in blogland.
    - {darlene}
    fieldstonehilldesign.com

34. Sausha @ {show and tell} says:

Thanks for the "shout out"!!! Your kitchen looks awesome!! Love the beadboard in the cabinets!!

35. Alexis @ we like to learn as we go says:

I love the idea of an aqua door (or any bold color) in the kitchen. It's a great contrast! I also love the chalkboard to do list! Very cute!

36. The White Farmhouse says:

It all looks so great! Love the turquoise color. I have been wanting to change out my doors and knobs for the longest. I got ugly doors and knobs. I can't wait to see your reveal!

37. I love all the little details. It's looks so pretty and bright!!

Mr. Martial Arts

38. Kim's Treasures says:

Your kitchen is gorgeous!!! I have a question…the Anthropologie knobs come with really long screws on the back. My hubs is afraid that there will be a lot of excess screw sticking out the other side of the door/drawer. Did you cut them or leave them as is?

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Kim

39. Amy @ Living Locurto says:

Seriously awesome!! You have done a spectacular job. I don't know how you do it all. Can I get some of your secret sauce please???

40. I just ordered shutters for the outside of my house, I'm going to use aqua and give them a weathered look.They should be here in a week or so.

41. claudia b says:

your turquoise door is gorgeous and that knob! omg! love it!

42. wow! everything looks amazing! I just LOVE the glass door knob!

43. Karen @ The Quaint Cottage says:

I absolutely love all the little touches you added. The knob, the "shoe" organizer and those small pops of blue. Thank you for the inspiration. It looks perfect.

44. Sweet Bella Roos says:

Love Love Love the color. I am getting ready to re-do my kitchen and turquoise/aqua/tiffany blue will definitely be finding its way in there.

45. I love all of it! Cute, Cute, Cute!

46. The Gourmet On A Diet says:

OMG I love the color scheme!!!!! Always invokes a bit of Tiffany's, and you can't go wrong with classic glamour, a beachy feel, crisp colors, peace and tranquility…so much to be said for aqua/turquoise/whatever you want to call it. Plus, LOVE the shoe organizer idea on the inside of ANY door. I want to do this in my hall closet, which is one of only three in my house with a normal door (not sliding)…but if I could do it with all three, maybe more of my "stuff" would have a home and wouldn't get dumped in the trash or sent to Goodwill (wait, is that a good thing?)…we'll see! ;)

47. love all i've seen of your kitchen so far-can't wait to see all of it! my kitchen needs a makeover so i'm taking notes :)

Great tutorial, Jen. I love glass knobs. You have one of the prettiest pantry doors ever. The glass and the aqua are so pretty together!

49. Loving the kitchen redo…when your done with yours you want to come do mine! You have such a fabulous eye for color good work!

Julia

sweetserendipity23.blogspot.com

50. LOVE the door knob!

51. Melissa @ The Inspired Room says:

It is looking FANTASTIC!!! Love the glass knobs, so pretty!

52. Your kitchen looks amazing, I love all the little details. It's looks so pretty and bright!!

53. So pretty Jen! That door knob is gorgeous and the chalk board is to die for. I'm loving all the little peeks into your kitchen. I can't wait to see the big reveal.

54. Everything looks great! I love your use of color and that door knob is so pretty!

1. [...] also wanted to share how my blog friend, Jen, from Tatertots and Jello shared in a post how she changed her brass handle to a glass handle on her pantry door in her [...]

2. [...] There are also a few other projects that I did along the way that added to this project, like my Aqua Door: [...]

3. [...] did that for my Kitchen Redmodel and even though I came up with my own style and projects for the space, having that visual board as [...]