A pretty wedding gift idea — Etched Chevron Glasses and Pitcher {Tutorial}

You may have noticed that I have a new obsession lately — Chevron or Zig Zag Patterns.

{my painted Chevron Rug}

chevron pennants all in a row
Chevron subway art from the bottom

And since it’s Spring, with weddings in the air. I thought a really cool wedding or engagement gift would be a set of Etched Chevron Glasses with a matching Pitcher.

chevron border
I took a Chevron I had downloaded from the Silhouette Online Store and I measured around the outside of each glass. And I also measured around the widest point in the pitcher. Now let me say that I don’t recommend trying to make this with a pitcher that is rounded. A flat, cylinder pitcher would be much easier. I didn’t realize this when I started the project – lol!
make the stripes
I created a Silhouette document with the Chevron pattern. I decided to make two Chevron stripes on each glass, so I needed to print out three chevrons for each glass. But if you want to make more stripes, you need one more vinyl stripe than the number of stripes you want to make.
apply the vinyl
Then print off the vinyl and apply each of the Chevron stripes to the glasses. Once you get the bottom stripe on the glass, you can match up the zig zags pretty easily.
vinyl on pitcher
Now the pitcher is a different story. I ended up only being able to use two of the stripes on the pitcher because the way the pitcher is shaped made it impossible to match up the zig zags. But if you bought a straight pitcher shaped more like the glasses, you can do the same thing that you did with the glasses.
smooth the vinyl
Once the vinyl is applied to the glasses and pitcher, use the smoothing tool to make sure that there are no gaps in the vinyl that the etching cream can get under. And make sure to protect your work surface. The Silhouette Etching Cream directions says to not use a paint brush to apply the cream, only use the smoothing tool. I found it was very difficult to get the cream smooth without using a paint brush. So this is what I did — I used a foam craft brush to brush on the etching cream on the glasses and then smoothed the cream over the whole surface with the smoothing tool.
etching cream
Then leave the cream on for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, rinse off the cream with water. if there are streaks or areas that didn’t take the cream that well, you can apply another layer of the cream. I did this with the pitcher. I had to apply the cream twice to get an even coverage.
four chevron glasses
And there you have it – a unique wedding gift or addition to your place setting for a party or get-together this Spring!!Try the etching cream — you will love all of the fun gifts and home décor ideas that you can make using it.

**Now – you could totally make this without a Silhouette machine too. Simply take tape and tape off the chevron pattern and then apply the cream the same as above. And voila — you have a pretty wedding gift!

chevron pticher 3
one chevron glass

Have a Wonderful Day!!!

Comments

1. this is a great idea! TFS :)

Alex

2. This is a great gift idea! I can't seem to get enough chevron these days.

3. roxybonds says:

I love it! Fabulous gift idea :)

4. Traci@ Beneath My Heart says:

Love this idea! I have never used the etching cream. This makes me want to get some. There would be so many possibilities! :)
    Thanks for the inspiration!

5. BigBearswife says:

those are so pretty! great job on them!

6. Monica says:

These are so pretty! What an awesome project. :)

7. Cute idea. Chevrons or zig zags are always in style.

Jen that is such a cute wedding gift idea! I'm sure anyone would love to have such a cute set:) I love all your cute chevron projects!

9. Kassi @ Truly Lovely says:

Those are neat!!! I've been planning to etch some glasses for my bridesmaids but haven't yet… Chevron would be a fun idea! :)

10. Football Wife says:

Oooh I love this! I am getting married in July, and I would love to get this for a gift. Thanks for noting how to do this without a Silhouette.

11. Hi Jen! This is a super cool idea. The pitcher is my favorite. I really love the words in the subway art sign too.

12. Huggs and Kisses xo says:

Love it…what a great idea.

13. Lindsay says:

I am loving Chevron patterns as well. I have been on a hunt to find a skirt with the perfect chevron design..
    How creative to print vinyl for the pattern!

Delighted Momma

14. Tracy Green says:

Wow great idea thank you, i have 3 weddings in 2 months!!! As always you are awesome!!! Thanks, I wonder if the etching would work on a platter as well?

I know I'd love to be the recipient of a gift like that! Great tutorial, and such a neat project. :)

PS. I have a pop-up comment box like you do, and when I click on "Comments" (both here, on other blogs that have this style, and on my own blog) I can't scroll down the comments. I can only see the first few unless I stretch the box, and even then you can't see all of them. Is it just me???

16. Lindsay says:

This rocks Jen! I am chevron obsessed too! I am getting SO excited for our giveaway :) HUGS

17. wow , how cool is that,, you are very talented,, very classy, have a good day,,

18. aggieam01 says:

That is a great gift idea. Looks really easy to do but the finished product looks so expensive. Thank you for sharing this idea!!!

19. Me and My Brain says:

I am super obsessed as well… I love chevron in all things really… I'm about to make a baby quilt with that patter… I love your work and that rug really makes a statement when you enter the room!

20. Two Shades of Pink says:

Such a great idea…I love how it turned out…even if you hit a few bumps it ended up perfect! :)

21. What a super cute gift idea! I love it!

1. [...] Fabric Pennants, Bunting Canvas, Painted Rug, Button Necklace, Washi Tape Clock, Threaded Necklace, Etched Chevron Pitcher and Glasses, Rosette Necklace, Stenciled [...]