Decorating a wall for all seasons — Spring Specimen Wall Art!

Do you have an area or spot in your home that you like to change out seasonally?
I don’t an entry way buffet or table to display seasonal items, so I created a little place in my kitchen that I love to change out during the year.
At Halloween I created these Halloween Specimen Art frames…
During the winter I made some Felt Snowflake frames…
And now that Spring is upon us, I thought it would be fun to create something new for that space. The other day I was tooling around Tai Pan {a really cool home decorating store in Utah/California} and I came upon this $10 frame.
 {Check out what she my friend My friend Ellie G. from Less Cake {More Frosting} did with the same exact frame —
It’s long and skinny and I thought it was the perfect shape for my kitchen wall.
And then the another night was at Ikea and I found these super cute, inexpensive frames that I fell in love with.
I combined the two and something exciting happened!!

The first thing I did was I painted the silver frame white with some glossy craft paint. Now don’t laugh at me, but I didn’t even know that glossy craft paint existed until about a month ago. Can you believe that? I love it!
Once I painted my frame, I went to work on the gallery frames. I found three coordinating scrapbook papers and cut them out to fit inside of the frames. Then I decided to do three different things in the three frames.
The first frame I used a Canvas Corp. tiny burlap-wrapped canvas. I met PSA essentials at CHA this year and they were sweet enough to send me the awesomest customized stamp pad. I love it! More information to come on that {as well as a giveaway} but suffice to say that I love it.
I used their alphabet letters and made a “h” to represent our last name.
I used a circle stencil to cut around the stamp and then I sealed it with Mod Podge and used Plaid’s Dimensional Magic to create a 3-D look. After that dried, I hot glued a giant bottle cap from  Bottle Cap Inc. to the canvas with the “H” on top to the first gallery frame.
I wrapped the burlap frame with some pretty Maya Road ribbon that they sent me. I love the lace look of it. And I also attached a pretty ribbon flower, also from Maya Road, at the top of the frame.
The second gallery frame I added scrapbook paper to and then some Washi tape.

Do you know about Washi tape?? It is the coolest stuff!!! I am working on some projects for a Studio 5 segment and I am loving it!! So cool! You can buy Washi tape on etsy — like here.

I added the Washi tape to this second frame. And then a birds nest to the center.
The third gallery frame I added the third scrapbook paper to and also some Washi Tape.And the I put the glass on top of it and then I wrapped some twine around the glass and tied the twine . I did this two times at the top and bottom. Then I put the glass and paper inside of the gallery frame. I used some tiny little black clothespins from the Canvas Corp and attached some B&W family pictures to those. So that third frame is a little photo gallery that can be switched out. I really love it!

And that is my little Spring/Summer Kitchen Wall.
 I love that it’s interactive and can be altered over the season/years with different pictures and momentos.
And the white and fresh vibe makes me so excited for Spring!
PSI’m linking up with Melissa @ The Inspired Room’s Gallery Party

This post sponsored by

Comments

1. Love this look

2. Jennifer says:

Lovely idea. How did you attach the birds next to the middle frame?

3. Adam Thomas says:

Nice ideas . I like that…
    Bathroom Wall Cabinets

4. This is Gorgeous! I could really use something like this at the front door of my poorly, undecorated home!

5. Kori@midesignmoxie says:

I LOVE how you trade out the frames! I have a spot in my house that could benefit from a fun wall art! Love your blog – I've been a longtime follower!

6. First time visitor here. Wow how incredible. I think I'll attempt something similar at my house. Thank you for the inspiration.

7. Vanessa says:

Hi there,

This is my first time at your blog and I LOVE it. I have already added you to my reader :)

I love the idea of having something that you can change out seasonally. I going to have to think awhile about how I can incorporate this idea.

But I am REALLY writing to say – I ADORE YOUR BANQUETTE AND WANT ONE! Are your benches custom? Where did you buy them, otherwise?

Thanks!
    Vanessa

8. Danielle says:

I love this idea! I wanted to let you know that I featured this on my "What I Bookmarked This Week" post on Saturday – stop by and check it out.

Danielle

9. Takes my breath away! Incredible! Very in depth tutorial! :) Happiness!!

10. GLENDA CHILDERS says:

Hi Jen,
    Just popping over from The Inspired Room. It is great to see your gallery wall. Mine is #10.

Fondly,
    Glenda

Gg – Notes on the Journey

ps. This really reminded me of the shadow boxes we did in the early seventies when I was in college. Your home is so lovely.

11. Michelle @ Loving Every Second says:

Love this project! So super cute!

12. Kim -today's creative blog says:

You are so amazing! I wish I could feature you everyday!

Just wanted to let you know I featured this post today, Jen. :) Great job!!

14. It looks gorgeous. I love everything about it. I had never heard of Washi tape. I need to go check that out.

Ruth

15. Holiday Snob says:

I can't really get over how much I love this! Why can't Tai Pan branch out to more states?? But I love your tutorial and it is officially filed in my brain for future inspiration! (I do that, I just used your guest post from last year about bookpage eggs to make some for me) Thanks for sharing!

Dot

16. Katherines Corner says:

Love it, well done!! Happy Friday Hugs! P.S. have you made it over to my new location?

17. Michelle L. says:

Okay, that's it. This week, you totally win the internet. This is the coolest project and such an amazing tutorial!

18. Kara @ Mine for the Making says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE it jen! The frames turned out so lovely! perfect fit in your kitchen :)

19. Stunning and such a creative use of space. Love it!

20. Denissa says:

I LOVE it Jen!! :) I have a long frame that I picked up at the thirft store and it didn't work for what I thought it would. I am SO copying this idea!! lol :)
    Denissa
    I LOVE the burlap covered one!!

21. Andrea@ourbluefrontdoor says:

I love this, just love it!! I have an empty wall, plenty of them, hehe!! I can't wait to get started on this project. Thanks for sharing!
    New follower, love your blog and look forward to following you

Andrea

22. Ivonne Loving says:

I love this post and you have given me a great idea for the future. Once I get rolling I will send you photos. Thank for always being so inspirational.

23. So amazing. Love, love it!

24. kami @ nobiggie.net says:

darling Jen! PSA sent me some stuff to create with too! I'm excited!

25. A Vintage Green says:

I just discovered you blog (the laundry room posting from 2010 was incredible. You made a tough narrow area into laundry heaven.
    - Joy

26. Love this!
    I might have to borrow this idea some day!

27. Hey, I framed a nest this year!
    That sounds weird, huh?

28. This is so awesome! I love it! You have to be the most creative person in the world!

29. I'm in love with this idea! Can I come and live at your house so I can enjoy all your great ideas…lol

Jeanna @ dramaqueenseams.blogspot.com

30. Heather Mullin says:

LOVE the spring frame project! That looks like something I would love to do and have in my house! Awesome! Hope you have a wonderful day!

31. restlessrisa says:

I am loving the nest especially!!! Well done! Love it :)

Risa

32. Ashley @ Little Miss Momma says:

Awww, I love how organic and beautiful this spring decor is! It turned out so beautiful! And now I need the scoop on where you found all the free burlap bags, lol! i love me some burlap :)

THANK YOU so much for spreading the word about the Groop Deal! you are too good to me!

33. MommyMeagan says:

Your Spring art is so beautiful! My Easter specimen art was inspired by your halloween bats. Stop by and check it out if you get a chance. Thanks for being so inspiring! http://www.fairlyfabulousblog.com/2011/03/old-rugged-cross.html

34. Oh man! Yours turned out WAY cooler than mine. :)

I love how different they are. You wouldn't even know that they were the same frame. I think mine might be taking a turn for the "hot pink" this summer. We'll see.

It can turn into the tale of the two frames.

You are perfection. The black paper clips are perfection. And I am using Dimentional Magic today….and thinking of you.

35. LOVE this! May I feature this on my blog, giving you full credit of course? I know my readers would love this as well! :0)

framefanaticblog [at] yahoo [dot] com

36. This is so CUTE! I love the double frame look.

37. Jen, this is adorable!! I always love your little seasonal wall display and this one is perfect as well. Thanks for the great inspiration! :)

Erin
    LTC

38. Unique Finds and Designs says:

Love it! You have me inspired to find do some wall art to change out seasonally.

39. What adorable spring ideas. SO excited about the stash necklace. LOVE LOVE it :)

40. I love that!

41. Love the birds nest idea! I may steal this for my daughter's nursery!!! Thanks for sharing.

42. Whatitsallabout... says:

Jen, This is GREAT! I love your ideas! I have a very tall and narrow wall in my kitchen, I may have to do this. I love seeing what you come up with, it's so inspiring. Thanks so much!

Heather

43. Terrie Mathison says:

You are so talented and a wonderful inspiration to us. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

44. Love the frames inside the frame-I would have never thought of that! The 3 inside frmaes are great-especially the last one where you can change the pictures!

45. I always love to see what you arre gonna do with this space and love how you always change it out. This is Beautiful!!!

46. More like....etc. says:

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEK!!! :D
    I'm SO excited to see this!
    i am in love… this is the exact {similar} project that is taking over my shopaholic brain!
    {LOVE IT!}
    I can't wait til my crafting space is done!!!

Ditto Alison…the dimensional aspect is so cool. All the layers together make for one pretty fab project, Jen. :) I love the rustic feel of the bird's nest paired with the pretty paper.

The twine frame with the photos is awesome! I wanted to do something similar for my Elmer's Craft & Tell party, but the girl who was helping me with start-up ideas voted me down. ;) Now I'll just have to show her your link so she can see how cool it is. ;)

Great job!

48. I love this and I am going to have to try some dimensional magic and washi tape.

49. jenwinter26 says:

You have some really cute ideas. Thanks for inspiring!

50. I thought that frame & store name looked familiar. ;) I love what you've done with this, I think the third frame is my favorite too. I don't change out my decor seasonally but doing so within these small frames would be a fun way to do that.

51. Shelley Haganman says:

I really love this idea!! I am going to "lift" it! THanks for the inspiration. Love the CC and Maya Road!!

52. JC's Loft says:

Use to live in Utah and would shop at that Tai Pan all of the time! Such a great store…fabulous project!! I love that you switch that area out during the seasons!!!!

Paula

53. Love this idea..and loved what your friend did with hers. I have a blank area and I think that something like this is what it needs!

Thanks for posting
    Deanna :D

54. maggie@midwesternsewinggirl says:

Oh, this is wonderful!!! That nest is just gorgeous…such a great way to add seasonal decor!!!

55. Charlotte says:

Love the idea of decorating with a nest! I think I am going to make a centrepiece one – what did you use to make the green eggs?

Blue Skies,
    Charlotte xo

blueskiesblog.blogspot.com

56. Heidiopia says:

Love, love, love this project. I'm a minimal seasonal decorator and this is a great solution to incorporate holidays and season changes to a quirky space! Thanks, Jen. :)

57. Susan @ homeroad.net says:

I love the frames! I especially love the one at the bottom that you hung pictures on with clothespins! Beautiful! Love your blog!
    Susan @ homeroad

58. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions says:

That looks so good with your wall color, Jen! The white frames and the scrapbook papers you used. I didn't know they made a glossy craft paint either. I'm so used to it being flat.

59. ¡What a beautiful idea!

60. Alison@Oopsey Daisy says:

Jen I absolutely love this! Love the 3dimensional aspect of it and how fun to change it for each season! So cool!

1. […] Spring Specimen Nest […]

2. […] perfect idea for a small wall surface is this one found on Tatertots and jello and I have to tell you that I loved from the first moment I saw […]

3. […] many great craft supplies, including Dimensional Magic.  Isn’t it gorgeous?  Check it out here. Filed Under: Canvas/Wall Art, Dimensional Magic, DIY Wall Art, Home Decor, Projects, Spring 6 […]

4. […] From Summer {Summer Mini Gallery Wall}: […]