Burlap Project: Ruffled Spring Pennant

Time to take down the Valentine decorations. But what to put up to fill the cold, bleak Winter space?? I decided to make a burlap pennant, but instead of a triangular one, I thought it might be fun to make square-ish one with colorful SPRING hues to brighten up my space.
 To make it, first I cut out a pattern. I took a piece of copy paper. Cut the length to 6 inches.
Then I folded the paper in half and rounded the edges at the bottom.

Then I pinned the pattern to some burlap scraps I had laying around, and cut out the shape. I did that 7 times.
I got all of my ribbon out and laid it on my table so I could see what I had. I also cut some strips of fabric from my fabric pile and some strips of burlap.
I started with the first piece and laid the ribbon and fabric out and pinned it on. I did this with each of the pieces and then laid it out on my table to see how they would look together. Then I rearranged some of the ribbon and fabric until I liked the way it looked.
Then I sewed it on the burlap. To create the ruffles, I took the pieces of fabric and gathered it as I sewed it on. You could also sew the ruffle separately and then pull the thread to gather the material and then sew it on the burlap if you would like. This might have been a better way to do it, since some of the pieces are a little wonky – lol.
If you don’t sew, you could hot glue the fabric and ribbon on to the burlap too.
I also used some straight stitches and some zig zag stitches to add a little more interest.
Once all of the burlap pieces were embellished with the fabric and ribbons, I laid it out on my table to decide the placement of the burlap pieces.

Then added a long piece ribbon and sewed the burlap pieces on to the ribbon.

I’m linking up to

Photobucket

Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden

Have a bright and happy Wednesday!

Comments

1. CandaceAshley says:

I just wanted to let you know that I have really enjoyed your blog! I am in love with burlap myself, I used it in my wedding, and I have been working on little crafts with burlap since I had so much left over. I haven't blogged about them yet since the projects are all works in progress, but I have enjoyed reading all about your burlap projects. From one burlap fan to another! I would love to see more!!

Candace

2. Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden says:

I love this. It really does brighten up your mantle with a pop of bright color. Great job. Your mantle looks great BTW.

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours day!

3. I love pennants, even old, boring plain ones – but yours is super adorable! I love the ruffles, the fabric, the burlap – everything! What an inspiration!

4. Kim @ Everything Etsy says:

I love it! I've been meaning to make something like this for awhile and the burlap is perfect! :)

Thanks!

~Kim

5. Wow! This is such a cute idea!! Where do you find your burlap?

katie@ http://www.hipposanddinosaurs.blogspot.com

6. Do you have two alternate universes that you switch back and forth between, thereby enabling you to fit all of these cute projects into your day…?

7. Oh how I love it!

8. Very cute! If only I could sew!

9. I am freaking out again about how awesome you are! I LOVE this banner! I will definitely be trying this one out! I am still on my burlap kick!

Where do you buy your fabrics? Do you buy them online?

Have a fabulous day!

10. Oh that is a really cute idea!! I LOVE burlap. I'm actually using it as a runner on my coffee table right now. Thanks for posting such a good idea.

11. PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

Oh, I love this project!
    Ruffles make everything so.much.cuter!!

12. Super cute! It reminds me of a ruffly little diaper cover that little girls wear 😉 hehe, kinda like a bunch of baby booties!!

13. I love this. I really need to learn to sew. And get a sewing machine.

14. northern cottage says:

aren't you just the cutest thing!! These are darling & I actually like that they are 'wonky' lol!!

15. So adorable! I may actually be able to handle the sewing machine for this one!

16. Rachel@oneprettything.com says:

Aww, that is so pretty! Thanks so much for another great project. I'll be linking.

Oh, it's lovely!! I just love ruffles…they definitely say "Spring is coming!" to me. 😉

18. fabulous! I'm having a spring event in April "Burlap and Bows" this is the perfect project to make for my decorations.
    You are amazing.
    Happy Day

19. Michelle M. says:

I love it! SO adorable!

20. Connie Weiss says:

What? I just put my valentines decor up a week ago….I'm going to leave it up for a while.

21. Jen this is so cute, you are so talented. I wish I had a mantle.

22. I love the colors….so springy!! I've got some burlap laying around…I may have to give this one a try!!

23. MaryJanes and Galoshes says:

Cute! And a fun way to use up scraps.

24. Beth@The Stories of A to Z says:

You are the Burlap Babe! Love this. So cute :).

25. Love. Love. Love this! Super creative and the simplicity of it is just dreamy!

26. Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry says:

How super duper cute… I want one….

27. Alycia (Crowley Party) says:

SUPER CUTE!

28. Pam @ bibbidi-bobbidi-beautiful says:

So cute, Jen! I like your ruffle technique- doing all those ruffles separately would take forever. BTW- have you posted about that cool light/chandelier in your kitchen? Do tell!

29. Melanie Farrell says:

Love this – I've got the perfect spot and have been itching for a quick sew project, thanks!

30. Bring on Spring!

31. Very Cute! Love the way it looks. Great idea.

32. The look like adorable pockets! I love it!

Courtney

33. Julie M. Jackson says:

Stop it! Oh My! You do some SUPER cute stuff! I mean, I can't take it anymore! How will I find the time to do all this stuff! HA! I will, though! I will find the time! Great Job! Love it!

34. I can't get over how many different things you've created from burlap! The swag is super cute!

35. Do you sleep girlfriend??? ha! This is so cute!!

36. How Sweet Jen!!! You are so creatively talented! xxoo

37. Fabulous. Please come over and decorate my house. ok, thanks. :-)

38. Loooooooooove this Jen and there's pretty much nothing that I love more than ruching. Seriously. Everything should be ruched. End of story. xoxoo

39. Victoria@WhimsybyVictoria says:

You are so creative! I love it!! Spring is around the corner!

Hugs,
    Victoria

40. Julie Harward says:

That does look "sew" easy…maybe I can even do it! Very cute..:D

41. frillsfluffandtrucks says:

Very spring-y! :)

~ Sarah

42. Angie Tieman says:

How cute is this!! Absolutely love it! TFS!

43. ♥Amber Filkins♥ says:

Agreed, this is ridiculously adorable!!! I ♥ this Jen!!! Amazing, as always!

44. OK…this is ridiculously adorable! I need a sitter to come over and watch my kids so I can be creative!!!!!