Hey! I am Stacy from Not JUST A Housewife and I LOVE power tools!
I also love to make things out of nothing.
I recently redecorated my hallway and I wanted to have an old corbel to use as a shelf. I knew that a vintage one would be super pricey so I looked online to see about a new one. They are anywhere between $60 to $300+!!!! Crazy huh? So I thought to myself, there must be a way to make one.
Here is how I did it:
- I got an old board from our garage.
- I free handed a design. It could be anything you want. You can find example online or dream up your own.
- I used my jigsaw to cut out the design. (I heart my $20 jigsaw)
- Then I repeated this step 4 more times so that I ended up with 5 of these.
- I labeled the first one with a one so that I could use that as the pattern every time. Cause you know, a copy of a copy just isn’t the same.
- I used my brad nailer (nail gun) to attach them one by one.
- I had a piece of molding left over from my kitchen redesign so I cut it at 45 degree angles. I also cut out a rectangle that they would be nailed to.
- I cut out another rectangle piece that was slightly smaller that the top piece with the molding. It got nailed on first. Then the top piece got nailed to that.
Here it is all nailed together!
I puttied the nail holes and then sanded it smooth. Not too smooth though. I wanted it to look old.
I painted it this fun golden yellow and distressed it.
It makes a fun addition to my hallway and cost me nothing to make! Hey, who doesn’t like free???
Stacy – that is awesome. And I love the yellow color that you painted it too!!
Stacy is amazing with power tools and a paint brush, and such a creative DIYer.
Check out these projects:
I am in LOVE with her Outdoor Screen – those colors are fabulous!!
Have you seen Stacy’s Stenciled Ceiling?? Ahh-mazing. So pretty!
And if that wasn’t cool enough, she painted her kitchen ceiling too!
And, Stacy is featured in Better Homes and Gardens this month too. Congratulations!!!
Be sure to stop by Not Just A Housewife and see all of Stacy’s DIY ideas!!
PS — I just got home from my trip last night, so a Giveaway Monday will be coming up later this week. Plus, more great tutorials. And tomorrow I am painting my kitchen. I am excited to update you on the Kitchen Remodel. It’s coming along great!!!
Mr Lonely says
nice blog… have a view of my blog when free.. http://www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary) .. do leave me some comment / guide if can.. if interested can follow my blog…
Wow! SO cute! And I LOVE that yellow with the blue & white background!
Michelle L. says
Superb project! Must go visit her blog NOW!
ellie g says
My dear, darling Stacy….how in the WORLD were you questioning the awesomeness of the colors in that hallway? Question not one more second! I want to move in to your hallway! It's amazing. One day I want to not be scared of saws. It's my goal. 🙂 You rock!
Liz @ Arty McGoo says
Consider my mind blown! I am in LOVE with this idea.
Myra @ The Casabella Project says
I love this!!!! Absolutely brilliant! 🙂
Amanda @ Serenity Now says
What a beautiful DIY job! The unexpected yellow makes it even more special. 🙂
Can't wait to see the kitchen, Jen!
angie @ the cellar door stories says
great idea!! love it!
Who would've thought?! Great Idea! Gotta try this someday!
[email protected] http://www.hillcountryhomebody.blogspot.com
This is absolutely amazing!! Thanks for sharing :).
Wow! What a great idea! I had no clue I could make this, I so need to try it!
[email protected] says
Stacey, That is AWESOME!!!!!! What a great idea to save money! I want to do that now! You are a genius!
In the same issue as Ms.O no less! I'm amazed by all of her projects! Thanks for sharing!