Our Christmas Morning Tradition – Dutch Babies
I love all of our family traditions.
One of my favorite traditions is our Christmas morning breakfast. We make Finnan Haddie from my Danish ancestors and we also make Dutch Babies from my husband’s side of the family. If you aren’t familiar with Dutch Babies, they are also called German Pancakes and are a mix between crepes and pancakes — light and fluffy and delicious.
We love to serve them with wedges of lemon, fresh berries, warm syrup and powdered sugar. (My mom gave me a handmade recipe book with all of our family recipes when I was first married and it’s where all of my family recipes are kept. It’s still one of my most treasured possessions.)
They are Heavenly!!
Of course we make them at other times of the year too, but they really remind me of Christmas morning.
Here’s the simple recipe:
1 1/4 cup milk
1 1/4 cup flour
pinch of salt (optional)
pinch of cinnamon (optional)
3 Tablespoons of butter
- Mix all ingredients in a blender
- Put butter in 2 9×12 oven-proof pans or skillets, put in oven and heat to 375 degrees
- When butter is melted, take the pans out and tilt them so butter covers the entire bottom
- Pour batter evenly onto the pans
- Bake in 375-degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until edges are puffed and browned
- Cut into serving-sized pieces and serve hot with powdered sugar, syrup, lemon wedges, preserves or anything else desired
I’ve partnered with Just Ask to honor these special family times — like eating your weight in breakfast together (LOL) — and also to remind you to
just ask about your family’s genetic history.
What better gift to win just in time for holiday cooking?
(yes, this is a 5QT Artisan Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer, estimated value $349)
Why ask about your family’s genetic history? When you know if your family has a history of breast cancer or ovarian cancer, you can better manage your future and your health — and help ensure you stay around for many more holidays!
Here’s how to win the KitchenAid Mixer:
Head to the Tatertots And Jello Kitchen Aid giveaway page and follow the instructions there.
Hurry! You must enter by December 13.
Complete each step to earn an entry — only the steps on that page count as entries.
(the winner will receive the mixer in time for Christmas!!!)
**** Important: follow the steps on the Facebook page — to enter.
Plus, you can also visit todaysmama.com and enter to win another KitchenAid mixer in the Grand Prize:
The Grand Prize:
- 1 KitchenAid 5-Qt Artisan Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, plus
- 4-pack of Kindle devices for the family – 2 Kindle Fire HD + 2 Kindle Paperwhites
- $100 Amazon Gift Card (translates to 25,000 Amazon Prime Instant Videos or 180,000 titles in the Lending Library)
- 17-piece KitchenAid Tool & Gadget Set
- 12-piece Wusthof Gourmet Knift Set with block
- 4 personalized aprons for family-time in the kitchen
- $50 Gift Card from Skip To My Lou’s “Sweet” Shop
I can’t wait to see who wins!!
Details: No purchase necessary. Open to US residents only . Must be over 18. If you do not have a Facebook account, you can enter by emailing your name, address and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org. Giveaway begins on Dec 4, 2012 will end on December 13th at 11:59 pm MST. One winner will receive one KitchenAid 5-Qt Artisan Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer (msrp $349). Winner will be chosen at random using random.org. Mixer will be shipped by Just Ask. Winner is responsible for any and all taxes. Winner will be notified by email by Dec 14, 2012 and will have 48 hours to claim their prize or another winner will be selected. Tatertots and Jello and Just Ask are not responsible for lost or undelivered emails. Winner will be posted on this blog post by Dec 15, 2012. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. By entering this giveaway, you have agreed to these rules. Giveaway sponsored Just Ask.
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. We hereby release Facebook of any liability. If you have any additional questions – feel free to me at email@example.com