“Red Hots and Blue” Fourth of July Rocket Wreath {tutorial}

red hot and blue wreath fourth of july wreath
Fourth of July is coming up fast.
I wanted to make a festive wreath for my front door.
red hots and blue rocket wreath
So I headed down to the Dollar Store and picked up a few supplies.
I used ribbon and paper I already had as well as Dimension Magic (to keep the birds from eating it) and the total for my wreath was about $4!!

“Red Hots and Blue” Rocket Wreath Tutorial

Here’s what I did:
Supplies:

• Wreath Form
  • Ribbon to wrap around form
  • Hot glue and glue gun
  • Three packages of Red Hot candy
  • Two coordinating scrapbook papers {I used Lifestyle Crafts Sweet and Spicy Paper}
  • Toilet paper roll
  • Two coordinating ribbons to hang the wreath and for the bottom of the rocket.
  • Dimensional Magic, spray polyurethane or resin to seal the candies

Directions:
    wrap with ribbon
    1. I wrapped the wide ribbon around the wreath form and secured it with hot glue.
    glue on the red hots
    glue the rows on
    2. Then I hot glued the Red Hot candies on the wreath. I started on the front of the wreath, then continued on the outside edges and finally glued them onto the inside of the wreath form.
    brush on Dimensional Magic
    3. To seal the candies, brush some Dimensional Magic over the top, or spray with polyurethane. If you brush Dimensional Magic over the top, only brush once because some of the sugar from the candies might come off once it gets wet. {I squeezed the Dimensional Magic into a bowl and brushed it on with a foam craft brush}.
    make the rocket
    4. While the wreath dries, make the rocket! There is a great tutorial for the rocket on Alpha Mom. Just follow the directions. And to make the rocket take off, loop ribbon into three loops and hot glue two of these on both sides at the bottom of the rocket. Then take the other coordinating ribbon and make three loops and hot glue it into the middle of the rocket. I made the middle ribbon loops just a bit longer than the side loops.
    toilet paper rocket
    5. The last thing I did was take two coordinating ribbons and make a big loop through the middle of the wreath and hot glue them shut. Hide the seam at the back of the wreath.
    side view of red hot and blue rocket wreath
    And you are done!!
    Now you have a festive wreath to celebrate this patriotic holiday for less than $5!!! red hot and blue fourth of july wreath straight on
    Have a Wonderful Day!!!

PS – I am linking up to these fun parties – check them out!

The DIY Show OffBCD 125UndertheTableandDreaminggiveawaysTidy Mom I'm Lovin It Fridays

Comments

1. I FOUND IT!! =) I am listing this as one of my favorite pins of the week on tomorrow’s post… however, it wasn’t pinned correctly. Shame on them (whomever). Thankfully, you add your name to your pics! Such a cute wreath!!

2. Lindy@ItsyBitsyPaper says:

This is great–still one of my favorite 4th of July Wreath Projects out there. I hope you will link up to my Patriotic Project Parade!

3. Dana Simone-Kurtz says:

Of all of the Holiday projects, this is my favorite. I know July 4th just passed, but I'm assuming because of the Dimensional Magic it lasts year after year. That means I have almost a full year to get my tush in gear and make this!

I think I might give it a try for the holidays too. They've got all sorts of candy out there now that can be used. M&M's in green with a bow in reds might be grand for Christmas.

Thanks for the inspiration! :)

4. Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper says:

What a great idea! This wreath is so beyond amazing

I am having a Red, White and Blue Linky Party that I'd love for you to join in on by adding your link!

5. Mrs. Edwards says:

I just finished making this wreath! I posted about it on my blog First Grade Frenzy!

Thanks for the great idea :)

Liz
      first-grade-frenzy.blogspot.com

6. Desiree @ The 36th Avenue says:

Jen, I just want to let you know that I'll be featuring tomorrow your HOT wreath on my blog… I hope that's fine.

7. Lee-Anne says:

I absolutely love this! As I am Canadian, I could still make this with red candies, but change up the rocket to be red and white for our flag. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

8. Oh my goodness, this is the cutest thing ever!! I saw the toilet paper holder rockets just yesterday and thought my kids are too old, they aren't going to want to make those! Well, who knew I would want to and make this wreath. Oh man, I hope I have time to scrap-lift this!!

Becki

9. Moms of all Trades says:

Love this I featured you in my Patriotic week Wreaths!

Kori
      momsofalltrades.blogspot.com

10. Katie Newcomb says:

I love this wreath! What a great idea! I featured this on my blog today (hope that's ok)! http://newcombhome.blogspot.com/2011/06/fourth-of-july-faves.html

11. Jenn- I L-O-V-E the wreath! I featured it on my 4th of July in Blog Land post today.

Kelsey :)

12. Mod Podge Amy says:

Jen, I'm featuring tomorrow. I love how you used Dimensional Magic as a coating. Brilliant!

13. RedHeadedStepChild says:

So cute! When I saw it, I thought of a candy wreath disaster from my past. BUT, you solved that problem! I wish I'd used the poly spray on my pea wreath too!

I linked up my 4th wreath, which was based on your master Halloween wreath from last year. Thanks for continuing to give us so many creative and well executed ideas Jen!

Red

14. Beautiful job! I love the colors and the fun of this wreath. I shared a link and picture to your blog and this tutorial on my Friday Favorites that was posted today. Thank you for sharing such a great project for the 4th!

15. Brittany Billingsley Suell says:

I saw this and just had to make it…I LOVE RED HOTS….so I bought an extra bag and ate them while I made it :-) This is so much fun though and so easy and low cost! Check my version out, I added a little something:

16. Ty and Whitty says:

I am so in love. I clicked on the picture from a linky party and was not surprised when I saw it was from you :) You are so stinkin cute and creative I am always amazed by what you do thank you so much for always sharing your fun ideas.

A mommy's life…with a touch of YELLOW
      tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

17. Kathryn Michelle Jenkins says:

this is really fantastic! I am super impressed. I have been looking for a patriotic wreath. I may just have to go with this one. so great.

kathryn
      twitter: kathblogger

18. This is awesome! I bet it smells amazing too!

19. Sweet Peas and Bumblebees says:

What a great idea for the 4th! We loved it so much that it's been featured at Sweet Peas and Bumblebees as one of our red, white, and blue favorites! Don't forget to grab a button! (:

~Briana
      sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com

20. Phil and Darby Hawley says:

Jen this wreath is so festive and pretty! I've got to try one of my own! I'm your newest follower :-)

21. Laura@Corner House says:

This is SO CUTE! I just had to feature it on my blog. Such great inspiration, as usual.

22. Kate B. says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!! Guess what has just been added to my to craft list!!

23. Sweet Peas and Bumblebees says:

What a great idea! I have a bunch of red hots that would be perfect for this project…thanks for sharing! You're amazing!

24. LrSchwtz says:

This is so stunning. I love the pop of red. Please stop by http://www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! I'm your newest follower!

25. I love this! What a great idea!

26. Ami w/AliLilly says:

ACK!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOOOOVE THIS!!!

27. I♥naptime w/ Chocolate Sundaes says:

This is SO cute! love the added rocket. thumbs up :)

28. nest of posies says:

get outta here!

that rocket is so cool. jen, you are amazing. this is adorable.

xo
      kellie

29. I love this so much Jen!!!! That rocket is ingenius!

Jen this is too cute! I love that rocket!

31. This is a super cute idea. I think I would eat half if the red hots while I was making it.

Ruth

32. CharityHand says:

I'm going to make this with my little firecracker of a daughter today. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

33. Cute. I love the TP rocket. :)

Anna

34. ADORABLE! That's a lot of red hots!

35. WOWWY KAZOWY!!! This.is.ADORABLE!!!!

36. That is an "on fire" project! Love it!

37. Alison@Oopsey Daisy says:

Oh my goodness! What a festive *and tasty* wreath!! This is fabulous, Jen! Thanks for sharing this fun idea!

38. Nike@ChooseToThrive says:

Oh for cute, Jen! Using Red Hots is awesome — love how great this looks on your door!

39. VERY cute!

40. Dimensional magic?? I'm gonna have to try that!

41. PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

this is soooo fun + neat.. i love!!

42. Beautiful! I love the colors you used and that rocket is the coolest, it would be so fun to come home to this every day :)

43. Connie Weiss says:

Super cute!!!

I need to find my glue gun….

44. Jen-CraftOManiac says:

GET OUT THAT IS TO DARN CUTE FOR WORDS. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! love you. winks-jen

45. Crystal @ Ordinary Days says:

Adorable!! What a clever idea. I was wondering the same thing as another commenter. Will they melt? If not, this opens up a whole new world of decorating. :)

Crystal

46. Colleen says:

OK I am now obsessed….just 1 question. Are the Red Hots sealed and won't come off on your front door when it gets hot? I want to do this for the 4th (I'm hosting my 1st big party and beyond nervous!) ~ but my luck I'll do it wrong and the wreath will get stuck to my front door and ruin it, hahahahaha

47. Christy says:

How do you hang your wreaths? I always see the long ribbon coming from the top but don't know how it's attached…

48. You are so creative! You amaze me with every one of your projects! I love that your wreath is classy and cute AND thrifty! Thank you for posting!

Ginger @ literally inspired

49. angelina_lover says:

That is too cute!! Thanks for the tutorial, this is something I can do with my sons :-)

50. Ali Richardson says:

SO SO awesome!!! I love that little rocket :)

51. Diane {Created by Diane} says:

Love it Jen, your wreath is RED HOT!!!

52. I LOVE red~white and blue…and the 4th of July!
      Got the material to make me a BIG fun bag/purse for the 4th!
      Gotta get over to your blog more often!
      Such a HAPPY place!
      Hugs from Bainbridge!
      xo

53. That is so cool!

54. bridget {bake at 350} says:

Oh my goodness!!! This is *just* darling!

How did you get so brilliant?! ;) This is such a cute project, Jen. The red hots by themselves would have been neat, but the rocket is "out of this world." Sorry, couldn't resist the pun. ;)

56. Very Verdant says:

Love it!!! Red hots for a wreath! You are just too clever!

57. telisa@sugartotdesigns says:

that rocket is soooooo cute! love it!

58. Jessabells says:

Love it!! I know me, one red hot for the wreath, one for my mouth. lol.
      Seriously, I think it came out great and I really like the rocket! Thanks so much for sharing!

Jessica

59. Heather @ Catfish Kisses says:

What a great wreath! I love it!! I just don't think I'd have the patience to glue on all those red hots :)

60. gnee @ Singing With Birds says:

This is adorable. Will it hold up in the hot UT sun? I sure hope so!

61. The Miller Five says:

That is so cute Jen! I'd make one, but I'm afraid my little guy would lick it!

62. So cute! what a great idea!

63. Wowee!I love this wreath!!!I would say I am going to try this, but I probably won't get around to it until next year!!! Thanks for sharing!! It's beautiful!!

64. That looks awesome!! The only thing about candy wreaths is that you need to be careful about hot days and the candy melting off. I had that happen to me once, it was a mess!

65. laxsupermom says:

What a fun way to celebrate the 4th! Love your wreath! Thanks for sharing.

66. great Job!!!!!

67. I love this idea! I have been meaning to pick up some Dimensional Magic and after seeing this, now I really want some. I have a feeling we'll be seeing versions of your wreath all over blogland after this post.

68. Love this patriotic wreath Jen! So cute.

69. Desiree @ The 36th Avenue says:

WOW Jen… I should be in bed but I decided to stop by and… HELLO AMAZING! HOW COOL IS THIS! Awesome job!

1. […] Rocket Wreath at Tatertots and Jello […]

2. […] O, who loves Red Hots? Or maybe some Hot Tamales? We sure do, so this wreath is right up our alley! Grab yourself a wreath form and get to gluing. This will be a fun family project that the whole gang will love. Just be sure to grab some blue and white ribbon to top the piece off.{found on tatertotsandjello}. […]

3. […] Red Hots and Blue Wreath from Tatertots and Jello […]

4. […] I love it that my friend Jen from Tatertots and Jello has become obsessed with Dimensional Magic. I think she and I need to start a support group!  Jen actually used it in a different way than I’ve seen before which is as a coating on a Fourth of July front door wreath. It’s ingenious. Those little red thingies? They are red hot candies. Fun, huh? This wreath is easy to assemble – just follow Jen’s tutorial here. […]

5. […] Rocket Wreath at Tatertots and Jello […]

6. […] Tatertots and Jello crafted this awesome Red Hots and Blue Rocket Wreath for just $4! Click Image for Idea […]

7. […] tatertotsandjello.com via Tara on […]