Porch Makeover Part 1 — Chevron Door Hanging {tutorial}

chevron door hanging straight on
It snowed here yesterday, but that didn’t stop me from trying to Spring-ify my front porch.
I am so ready for some warm weather!!
I started off with my front door.
wood frame
I had a unfinished wood frame in my garage, so I pulled that out. My inspiration for this door hanging is this beautiful chevron fabric I found on Fabric.com – I’m a little obsessed with it right now.
premier prints yellow chevron fabric
I used the same stencil that I also used for my Spring Chevron Subway Art.
chevron stencil
First I painted the frame white and then I stenciled the chevron pattern on the wood.

rosettes close up
Super easy. Then I made a few fabric rosettes – I have a tutorial for those if you want to make some. And then I thought it would be fun to make a part in the middle of the frame where I can spell out different things.
beautiful chevron paper
 chevron paper with a sheen
So I printed off some words using this beautiful new paper from LifestyleCrafts (they are the people that also make the Epic LetterPress – more on that at the bottom). I love this paper. It has a sheen to it. So pretty!
 (and it’s on sale this week)
chevron paper
I also added some pretty Washi Paper to the outside of the frame:
I printed off a few different sayings that I can switch out.  Hello.
chevron hello wall hanging
And Welcome.
chevron welcome door hanging
I attached a piece of ribbon to the inside of the frame with hot glue. And then I used these cute teeny tiny clothespins from Canvas Corp. The last thing I did was added some ribbon at the top to hang it on my door.
the hello canvas
I love how my door hanging goes along with the little canvas pennant I made a few weeks ago. I put on a little table by my front door.
And coming up tomorrow afternoon – Part 2 of my porch!!
xoxoPS – I am linking up to these fun parties – check them out!

The DIY Show OffBCD 125UndertheTableandDreaminggiveawaysTidy Mom I'm Lovin It Fridays

PPS – Here is the winner of the LifeStyle Crafts Letterpress package:
#35 — Simply AJ @ Queen of My Nest
And if you didn’t win —
**Lifestyle Crafts is also offering YOU  20% off ANYTHING at  lifestylecrafts.com, through the end of April (including the Epic Letterpress)!! Just type in TATERTOTS at checkout to get the discount!
Yippee!!!

Comments

1. Natalie @ Corduroy Dreams says:

You inspired me!!! I made my own Door Decor for Spring!

2. Crystal says:

I LOVE this, Jen! What a pretty way to brighten up the front porch! :)
    Crysta

3. Andrea @ Keepin it Thrifty says:

Jen~ Chevron is your BESTFRIEND!! Love this!!! simply love it..saw it on Tip Junkie I just linked up a few of my DIYs ;)

XOXO Andrea

4. Super cute!! Can't believe you had snow!!

Ruth

I love that you can change out the sayings! That yellow is the perfect color for spring:)

6. bridget {bake at 350} says:

totally, totally cute!

7. My inspirations says:

Love the idea of changing the words. It keeps it interesting. Love your blog !!!

8. Michelle says:

So cute! I love that it is interchangeable too! How clever!

9. Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle says:

Such a great idea switching out the words, the hanging looks very inviting and super cute! xx

10. it is adorable! i love the chevron pattern on the frame…and how clever that you can switch out the words!

11. Oh my goodness, I really love the "hello" one!

12. Oh my goodness! That is too cute! I love Chevron stripes too! I think I'm going to have to "borrow" your idea for my front door too!

Jen, that is absolutely precious!!! I love the chevron pattern on the frame, and the fact that you can easily change out the wording is so cool. Great work!!!

14. Vivienne @ the V Spot says:

Those wee little clothespins are so stinkin' adorable there aren't any words! I love this and am loving that it's a frame. Too cute.

15. Oooh, so cute!

16. lauren@warmandfuzzy says:

I love that you cut out different sayings so that you can change it up…you are so clever my friend. :)

17. Did you cut your stencil or use your silhouette. How do you get the silhouette to cut a stencil so much longer than a regular sheet?

18. Looks great! Just yesterday I returned some white mini clothespins like those because I ended up not needing them for a project and I couldn't think of what else I'd use them for. Now I really wish I had kept them!

19. I bet if you could find chevron burlap you would faint, huh?
    ;)
    Very cute!

20. Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims says:

very cute!! definitely nice and springy :) i love all your chevron projects :)

21. oh my, the little clothespins take it from "so cute" to "squeeee"