20-minute Flip Flop Project

Here’s a fun project to do this Summer. My kids loved being able to pick out the fabric and embellishments so their flip flops were 100% their own creation.

I bought cheap flip flops from Old Navy. They have flip flops in almost any color you can imagine. Two pair = $5 and they are even $1/pair when they are on sale!

Here’s what you need:

Flip flops
Fabric scraps
Button covers (optional)
Buttons
Hot glue gun
Gorilla Glue or other heavy-duty glue
Felt

We made variations on a few flowers for our flip flops. Here are the directions for each type of flower:
Basic Flower:
1. Cut out one large circle of material and two smaller circles out of a different material. I had some t-shirt material left over from a t-shirt refashion, so I used that for some of the smaller circles. The size depends on how big the flip flops are and how big you want the flower to be.
2. Cut out a felt circle a little smaller than the largest fabric circle.
3. Take the larger circle, make a little fold in the center of the circle and hot glue that together. This makes the flower more 3-dimensional.
4. Hot glue the two smaller circles on top of the larger one.
5. Hot glue the flower to the felt circle. {this makes the flower more stable}
6. If you want to use a button cover — make the cover. Then hot glue the fabric-covered button to the top. If you don’t have the materials for a fabric-covered button, you can add a regular button to the top. I found some sparkly buttons on sale at JoAnne Fabrics.
7.Use Gorilla Glue or some kind of strong glue to attach the flower to the flip flop straps. I put a few dots of Gorilla Glue in the center of the “v” on the flip flop straps and a few more dots going up each side. Then I pressed the flower into the glue. Then I let it dry overnight.
Rolled Flower:
1. Cut out one large circle out of scrap fabric. I cut up an old mesh bag for this material. Also cut out two felt circles a little smaller than the large circle you just cut out.
2. Now take a strip of fabric about 3 feet in length by 1 inch. I used old t-shirt material.
3. Fold the material in half.  Make one fold, then hot glue the material together. Continue folding the material and hot gluing it so it forms a circle. Twist the material one turn and hot glue it as you twist. Do this until you have formed a large circle that is a little smaller than the circle you cut out of the other fabric.
5. Hot glue the rolled circle flower to the large circle. Then attach the flower to the felt circle.
6. Gorilla Glue the flower onto the flip flops {see “Basic Flower” above for details}.

Gathered Flower:
1. Cut four 2-inch wide by 20 inches strips of fabric — in two different, complimenting patterns. Using your sewing machine, sew a line down each fabric strip using the widest setting available. Your fabric will automatically gather as you sew.
2.Cut out two 3 inch circles of felt.
3. Run a line of hot glue around the edge of the felt circle.
4. Attach one of the fabric strips to the hot glue line, keeping the edge of the felt circle in the middle of the fabric strip. You want the ruffled fabric to hang over the edge so the felt circle doesn’t show. You will have some material left over — this is approximate.
5. Run a line of hot glue in the center of the ruffled fabric circle that you just glued. Now take the alternating fabric strip and press it into the hot glue, make sure that the fabric underneath is still visible. This second circle should make a circle in the center of the felt so that no felt is visible once it is all glued down.
6. Attach a button or fabric-covered button cover to the center of the felt circle.

7. Attach the finished flower to the flip flop straps using Gorilla Glue or another heavy-duty glue. Allow to dry overnight.

There are so many different embellishments that you can add to flip flops to add some color to them. Have fun experimenting! Some other ideas that would be fun and easy would be:

• Hot gluing a silk flower with a fabric-covered button in the center
  • Gluing jewels to the tops
  • Cutting up old fabric scraps into strips and tying those along with colorful ribbons onto the flip flops
  • Glittering up the tops of the flip flops

www.tatertotsandjello.com

Comments

1. Thank you for this article, and wait for a lot more on this subject and I like to ask
    the site manager that might appear to the Post, I admire this great website and articles
    nashbar carbon road bike fork review recently posted…nashbar carbon road bike fork review

2. I love the flip flops! I'm featuring this at Life as Lori during my Get Your Craft on Thursday! If you would like to stop by and grab my I was featured button please do so!

3. ★All Thingz Related★ says:

Great way to spruce up boring flip flops!
    Thanks for sharing @ Anything Related!

4. handbags*n*pigtails says:

Oh my gosh I LOVE these! I just linked over to my blog-I hope that was OK.
    Sarah
    Handbagsnpigtails.blogspot.com

5. Super cute!! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

6. Jen- these are seriously too cute! I love your toe nail polish too! : )

7. Sherrie says:

Simply adorable!

8. Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

madincrafts.blogspot.com

9. FineArtPainting says:

wow.
    good tute
    great execution
    fun post.

come link it up here too, as our readers LOOOOVEEEE good TUTORIALS
    complete with photos and inspiration…

come n over:

(every wednesday…, but still open today )

Rose

10. ThisKalilLife says:

Adorable. I want to make some for me and for my daughter today! Thank you for sharing.

11. This was just too cute! I featured it today with a roundup of fun summer ideas!

Thanks so much for the inspiration!
    ~Alison

12. $1 flipflops? That's unpossible!

new follower from trendy treehouse :-)

13. O my dear, these are fabulous!!! I need to spruce up my flipflops!! You have inspired me!

~Alison

14. Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming says:

These are super cute Jen – Love them!! {and the zebra toes too! adorable!} ~ Stephanie Lynn

15. Kim -today's creative blog says:

You are so cool. Those are adorable. Thanks for linking

16. freckled laundry says:

Those flops are soooo sweet!

17. Chelle & Kristina says:

You ALWAYS have the cutiest projects on your Blog… I love the Flip Flops….

18. These turned out so adorable!

19. Rachel@oneprettything.com says:

Those re so fun, what a great group project! Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

20. Red Couch Recipes says:

Those are so cute and I love the red and white toenails! Joni

21. Austin Lovelys says:

I'm definitely doing this with my daughter! She would love making them! Thanks for sharing! So cute!

22. Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking says:

How fun!!! I'm going to do this with my girls this summer… they will LOVE it.!

23. cookies and cups says:

These are so cute!!! Thanks for the fantastic idea :)

24. emmy-pie lovely . . . says:

so cute, love it! i'm always bummed because i miss the $1 flips sale at old navy every.single.time! i seem to hear about it the day after, ugh. love what you've done with all the fips, so fun!

25. Alison @ Stretch My Check says:

These are amazing! I am going to have to try these out for summer birthday gifts!

26. Michelle Whitlow says:

cute, cute, CUTE!!

27. Terrell says:

Oh gosh..these are seriously cute!! I went to Old Navy the day they had this sale..and apparently I was too late…all they had left were Men's size 11 – well that'll do me no good LOL! Very creative in dressing them up!! ;)
    ~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

28. The Blonde Duck says:

They don't come off when you walk?

29. Life in Rehab says:

These are so flippin' cute I can't stand it! I generally keep my hideous toes under wraps, but I may have to make an exception here.

30. PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

Fabulous!!

31. Liz @ Sugarplum Creations says:

Super duper cute!

32. redtedart says:

Wow! These look fun and a great summer project with older girls! (Or boys!).

I do a kmonthly Get Crafty round up and would love to feature these?

HEre is last month's Nature Theme as a reference! http://redtedart.wordpress.com/2010/06/01/get-crafty-june-2010-inspired-by-nature/

Just drop me an email or a comment on Nature Get Crafty.

Lovely!

Thanks

Maggy

33. mmtncrfts says:

So cute and inspiring! I'd love to try all of them, but I think I'll start with the fabric strip flowers in red/white and blue for the 4th!

34. I'm so loving this idea. I have family coming for a visit (lots of girls) and I'm going to try this. Now might I also mention….I love the red, tiger stripe pedicure. That just rocks.

35. Denissa says:

Cute Jen!! I love flip flops and even more w/ cute flowers :)

36. Tammy@ Not Just Paper and Glue says:

Those are so darling! If you get a chance, check out the flip flops that I made: http://www.lifeonpossomtrot.com/2010/06/custom-flip-flops-and-tutorial.html

37. Heidi Jo says:

these are fantastic!

38. Angela (from Coupon Makeover) says:

I linked to your site – love the flip flop makeover!

39. These are really, really cute. Thank you so much for posting the ideas and tutorials. I know exactly what I'm going to do with these. :)

40. shortmama says:

So completely adorable!

41. Sherrie says:

What a fun idea. They are so cute! Love the toe nails too :)

42. Ashleigh says:

Love the flip flops.
    Love the toenail polish!
    I have to do this now that my kids are finally out of school. I also noticed that you feature giveaways… if you wanted to share, my sister and I are giving away some fun stuff @ beeinourbonnet.blogspot.com. :)

43. So cute! I love them all!

44. Hi Jen, This is a craft we will be doing for sure. Hope you are having a great summer.
    Pam

45. Makalani Adolpho, PLC says:

They are all cute. I have a bunch of slippers from target when they had them on sale for $.74 a few months ago. Great time to break them out and get them embelished. Thanks for the inspiration!

46. Kari @ Ucreate says:

Jen, every one of these are ADORABLE!!

Very cute…love the black and white ones!

48. Infarrantly Creative says:

Stinkin cute Jen. I need to bling up mine. I love that your girls got to help. Totally personalized. Loves girl!

49. sydney @ memorable minutes says:

Hi Jen, That is too cute. I will be trying that this weekend. Thanks for more tips on the flowers. I keep trying. I love love your rolled one. It's a learning process for me. Have a great weekend!

50. How cute! I started making my on Switch Flops, but only got one strap sewn…still need to add a flower to it. If I am only going to get one strap done, why didn't I just by cheap flip flops instead of paying $15.00 for mine. See girl, I can't seem to finish a project. I get too many going at the same time, and have a hard time completing one! You are so good about getting it done!

51. These are so adorable!!

52. Mamarazzi says:

total cuteness!!

1. […] Well Traveled Woman | 21. DIY Shoe – A Little Tipsy | 22. 20 minute flip flop project – Tatertots & Jello | 23. Tribal wrap sandals – I Spy DIY | 24. DIY Alexander Wang inspired gladiator sandals […]

2. […] – A Well Traveled Woman | 21. DIY Shoe – A Little Tipsy | 22. 20 minute flip flop project – Tatertots & Jello | 23. Tribal wrap sandals – I Spy DIY | 24. DIY Alexander Wang inspired gladiator sandals […]

3. [...] Flip Flop Project at Tatertots and Jello /* Filed Under: Footwear · Tagged With: flip flops, footwear, refashion, rosettes, [...]