Freecycle Project: Spring Kitchen {spoon} Wreath

I love freecycle! I have listed a bunch of things and people come and take it — I love to think my stuff I don’t need anymore is going to someone who needs it (I hope anyway).

I have put in requests a few times for things that I could use for projects. A few weeks ago I was imagining all sorts of projects using silverware. So I put a request on Freecycle for mismatched silverware. And the same day a lady called me that had a whole set!

I was looking at it the other day and the spoon shapes were so clean and round — they reminded me of flower petals. And I wondered if I could make a flower out of spoons.
So I bent one and then another and fit them together into sections. I cut a piece of felt into a 4 by 4 inch square and hot glued each section of spoons onto the felt. I fit the sections as close to together as possible. Once all the sections were hot glued and the glue cooled, I trimmed the felt down around the glue.
I decided to put the flowers on a wreath. I found some vintage-looking scrapbook paper. I cut the paper into 1 inch by 6 inch sections and then hot glued them onto the wreath form. I overlapped them slightly. I used 2 pieces of 12 by 12 paper.
Then I made a little flower to fit inside the center of the spoons. I cut two circles from a map – one larger than the other. I scalloped the edges. I also cut out a piece of black netting to go in between the maps. I glued those onto the spoons and added a little metal jewelry brooch I found in the jewelry section of Michaels. Then I hot glued the whole flower onto the wreath. I added some ribbon and I was done.
I offset the ribbon on the back so the ribbon was shorter on the side of the spoons and longer on the other side of the wreath to help redistribute the weight of the flower. If the flower is centered at the bottom of the wreath it wouldn’t need to be weighted.
The best part? I still have a bunch of silverware left over to make more projects — and it was FREE!

I’m linking this up to:

Have a Great Day

Comments

1. Love it – I found you through White house black shutters – you just gave me the inspiration to make my mother's bday gift!!
    Thank you!!
    (New follower)
    emily

2. So, so charming. I've tried to sign up to freecycle and haven't gotten a response. Maybe Tampa is lame…

3. Where do you get your ribbon for crafty projects like this one? Love it.

4. Manuela@TPOH says:

That is so cute and REALLY creative! Love it!

Manuela

5. Rachel@oneprettything.com says:

Whoa. That is so creative. I love this! I'll be linking. And hunting down my own spoons. =)

6. Me, Myself and Pie says:

Way cute. I LOVE that you used spoons. Everything comes together so nicely!

7. Pati @ A Crafty Escape says:

Absolutely LOVE this… especially since you made it from "trash".

8. cupcake studio says:

Your wreath is crazy-cute!!!

9. You are seriously the COOLEST!!
    I LOVE silverware. I actually have my grandma & great-grandma's silverware on display!
    Have a fabulous day!
    Jenn

10. shortmama says:

That is so darling!

11. Genius! That spoon flower is WAY cool! You have an artistic mind.

12. Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence says:

Wow! That is creative and so unique!

13. Melissa Miller says:

Oh my goodness isn't that adorable! Love it! :)

14. Its So Very Cheri says:

Jen,

I was thinking about you today. My sweet little sister Jennifer is here with ehr family so I have been off kilter this week on my blog–I can;t hardly remember what day of the week it is…
    Love your spoon wreath and I used to give stuff on Free Cycle when we live in KC. I need to see if they have one here-I don;t think so, I think I looked. Steven Spielberg probably doesn't offer too much.

15. Very clever with the spoons. Love it.

16. Ruby Red Slippers says:

Wow! So unique, and amazing!
    I pulled up your blog at my friend's house, and between the two of us-we are going to figure this out! LOVE it!

17. FREE is FAB in the hand of an artist such as yourself….who sees creation in *stuff* or *junk,* like repurposing old jewelry with burlap! hello!

hugs.

18. Jen-
    You better keep you calendar open-pretty sure a show with the number 5 in it will be calling you soon! Fantastic!! You my dear are very very smart! Incredible idea!

19. Molly @ The Creative Maven says:

I love the spoon flower! I've been seeing several projects this week using spoons… gettin' my creative juices flowing! :)

20. Connie Weiss says:

I think I've asked this before….but is there anything you can't make a craft out of?

21. jennykate77 says:

Spoons?!! Who would have thought? Only you, Jen, and that brilliantly talented mind of yours. I wonder if I could do one of these with forks? :) Oh, the possibilities.

Hope you're having a great day!! Happy St. Patty's Day!♥

22. Chase and McKell says:

Oh I am in LOVE! Definitely making this!!! Can I ask where you got the wreath?
    Thanks for sharing!!

23. Remodelaholic says:

Jen- That is just So stinkin' cool! I love it!

Great thinking!

(I too LUFF freecycle!)

24. Miss Anne says:

so amazing!!!!
    love what you did.
    that flower is GORGEOUS!

25. Miller Racing Family says:

Wow, I love the spoon flower. I would have never have thought of that. Can't wait to see what else you do with spoons.
    Have a fabulous day!

26. StephanieinSD says:

I LOVE this!

27. I LOVE this so much great job you are so creative :D

have a great day

Carrie

28. Victoria@WhimsybyVictoria says:

Jen…how cute is this?! What a creative idea…that is what I love about you, always thinking outside the box! So fun!!

Hugs,
    Victoria

Jen, that is so pretty!! :) I haven't used Freecycle in awhile, but it is great…especially when you have some old toys to get rid of and they can come during naptime to pick up and your kids will never miss the stuff. ;)

30. AM from White House, Black Shutters says:

WOW, Jen!!! Thank you so much for posting this today. I've been looking for something to decorate my walls and think something like this would look great in my dining room.

Posting it on freecycle and heading to the dollar store. Can't tell you how much I love it!

-Ann Marie

31. Jenn Miyamoto says:

Hey Jen,
    You never cease to AMAZE me! Thought I'd just let you know that.
    Jenn

32. Sylvia (at) Lily's Pad and Petals says:

How creative !!!!
    Sylvia

33. The Blonde Duck says:

How cute!!! Decorative silver spoons are popular down here!

34. Jenglamgirl says:

This is just so dang clever and SO DANG CUTE! SERIOUSLY JEN~ when you can take plastic soda bottles and spoons and make them DARLING works of art… you are my CREATIVE HERO, LOVE YA! HUGS, JENN

35. Vivienne says:

Jen! This is ADORABLE! You are so dang clever!

Geez! All that cuteness, creativity and talent is kind of starting to bug me.

(so kidding.)

36. GET out! just stop! your creativity is too much!

LOL

xo

37. Great repurposing, smart lady! I "heart" Freecycle!

38. I LOVE this- I always love peeking in at your blog, you always have such amazing ideas! Thanks for the inspiration!

39. Ann Marie @ Twice Lovely says:

LOVE the spoon flower!!! Just think of all the possible applications… Thanks for sharing!

40. Julie Harward says:

How clever and cute! Good job Jen! Come say hi :D

41. Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry says:

It's BEAUTIFUL, I have a bit of an obbsession with flatware myself… I think I need to make one of these for my kitchen!

42. When I saw the title I thought I wouldn't care for spoons on a wreath…ha! Shows you my imagination. A flower…of course! Cute Jen…I'm going to have to check out Freecycle again. I kind of forgot about it.

What a clever idea…I don't know how you think of all of these things!

44. ikeandella says:

This is one of those things that I look at and say. ohmygosh. A.Maz.Ing. I want one. No, I need one for my kitchen. Yup. It's decided. I'm going to get one.

45. This is such a clever idea! Very, very cute – have you ever thought about selling or consigning your stuff to boutiques? Or having a shop? Or would you get tired of doing the same things over and over again? (I would…)

Have a wonderful day! It's warm and sunny here and feels like spring :)

46. Lacie @ Creative Attempts says:

this is stunning!

Wow! You really can make anything look SUPER cute! I love that the silverware was free too:)

48. Jen…for once, I'm at a loss for words! All I really know to say it…FANTASTIC!!!

49. That is beyond adorable! What a fantastic idea…thanks for sharing :)

50. In this wonderful life... says:

cute project!!! as always :)

51. Heidi@TheCraftMonkey says:

Dang, you are always so darn creative! this is adorable!

52. Jessica @ This Blessed Life says:

I feel like I should just have an automatic comment ready for me to copy and paste to your blog, because I feel like I say the same thing every time! Absolutely genius – who would have thought to use spoons?! I love how you see untapped potential in so many everyday items.

53. I love this, what a creative mind!

54. Girl, you are a genius. That is adorable!

55. mama faith says:

Oh how I love this!!! Great idea, once again.

56. The Cottage Mama says:

You are SO creative! Love all of your projects. I don't know how you come up with all of this. Great job!!

Lindsay

57. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions says:

What a cute idea, Jen! I never would have thought of a flower from spoons! You're right though, the roundness of the spoons does lend itself to being a flower.

58. Mad Sewing Love says:

I've heard about freecycle but always forget to check it out by the time I get home. Too Cool! I just bought a little wood plaque with old spoons/forks that are bent up to resemble hooks. I hung in the kitchen & we hang our keys from it. Clever idea ya got.

59. You're adorable, Jen..'cos who would've thought of making a flower wreath out of SPOONS!! Hawaii must have added to your great creativity!!

60. YOU, my friend are BRILLIANT! OMG! I am in deep LOVE with this wreath!

61. Beth@The Stories of A to Z says:

What won't you use to make a wreath flower is now the question? So cute and creative! I would love to see an entire silverware wreath. Get going and show us how to do it!

62. Two Beautiful Girls Mommy says:

You amaze me once again! I think you are my new go to gal for awesome wreath ideas. I will have to make one of these for my kitchen!

63. ♥Amber Filkins♥ says:

Ha! That is super fabulous jen!! I haven't had too much luck with Freecycle. Mostly b/c I *hate* all the emails!! I wish they operated more like Craigslist. Then I'd love it more. :)

Anyway, super fabulous! And genius!!

64. Hi Jen! I haven't been out on blogs much lately :( but I hope to again soon!

I have a big-little favor to ask you! I'm trying to win a party contest and would love your help! Would you go here: http://thecitycradle.com/party-3-spy-agent and leave a comment at the end of the article? Your comment will give me a vote. Thanks so much! I appreciate it lots. <3

ALSO, this looks so pretty! Every project you do looks so playful and whimsical and just lovely. The wreath out of bottles on your sidebar is super cool! I want to try it. ;)

65. I love love love the look of old silver. This was a pretty unusual way to use it. You are just so creative! I would not have even thought to make a flower out of those spoons, but I do see why you thought they looked like petals. Very nice!

1. […] Turn old Spoons into a Kitchen Wreath […]

2. [...] dear friend Jen from Tatertots & Jello has had some luck with Freeycle.  I prefer just curb shopping myself but she has scored quite [...]